-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Last summer I went out of town for 3 days/2nights, k was also afraid to leave Mystic alone. I give him meal worms and salad and a full dish of water. When I got back, the water had evaporated. I don't think he was happy and he looked hungry & dehidrated. Maybe you could find a boarding place or someone from the pet store to take care of him. Maybe someone on this site who lives close by. Seems there are a lot of Beardie people here who would love to look after him. I'm in Maryland.

kmj4690

Original Poster
@terry I considered hiring someone but I worry about strangers in my house (I am a worrier, as you can tell!)

DaisyDragon123":nnxtt1e3 said:
Is there a possibility that you could take your dragon with you?

What illness? Her poo should not be runny and stinky.

I'm not sure, we adopted her a week ago and her last owners were abusive/neglectful so I'm not sure. But since giving her probiotics she is improving and her poop is no where near as bad as it was at first. She has a vet appointment when I get back into town.

And since we was abused she is very timid. Do you think it would still be better to take her with us? I mean we are renting a house so we could just take her whole setup... hmm

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think taking her & her setup would be much safer for her and less worrisome for you, especially since you have the room.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, if you are renting a house I would definitely take her. If her poo is runny and she goes a couple times a day, for her health it must be cleaned up each time she goes.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Take him with you, only way you can be sure he'll be OK.

Get a 100L or 120L storage tub (with clear see through sides and a clickclack type lid similar to http://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-109l-storage-container-with-lid_p2583376 , modify it with a soldering iron to ventilate it and attach a NANOHOOD with a 26W UVB200 under the lid.
This will be OK for keeping him in while in the motel/hotel rooms overnight and while out during the day.
A 7W heatpad on a simple digital timer set to 37oC slipped under the tub with some tiles ontop to avoid the possibility of overheating if you don't have a thermostat, will take care of providing warmth overnight and during day, and a par38 spotty in a clamp lamp will take care of overhead heat and light.
I use these , and find they are very good, and VERY RELIABLE. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Thermostat-Reptile-Lizard-Snake-Aquarium-Incubator-Heat-Mat-Lamp-Brooder-/311598324287?hash=item488cb51a3f:g

Dry pellets : either feed them to the feeder insects - my crickets, mealworms and superworms love them straight out of the bottle. OR. take them and a little plastic cup, they are more palatable when they are moistened by soaking in just enough water or fruit juice to cover them until they become soft , I regularly mix juvenile beardie pellets and vetafarm lizard pellets which have been softened with the grated veg and salad for my lizards , they'll eat them that way.

Line the bottom with papertowelling (ie scottowels) makes cleaning up poos a breeze.

An animal carrier is fine while on the road, put it on the floor between the front and back seats or on the floor infront of the front passenger seat. (Both safe places and warm but not in direct sun light). If it's sunny and warm - DO NOT LEAVE HIM LOCKED IN THE CAR, he'll die from being overheated in no time.

dezismom

Juvie Member
I am all in with the "take him with you" idea; Dez goes everywhere with me. For hotels, I have a large, clear plastic bin lined with paper towels, topped with a window screen, digital thermometer. The heat lamps go on top and are heavy enough to keep screen in place. I bring a roll of paper towels, bottled water, crickets, worms, veggies all cut and bagged, leash/harness--all his stuff--in a tote bag, along with extra extension chords, spare light bulbs. For a few days stay, I do not bring his big UVB flourescent fixture, but I make sure he gets out (on me, harness and leash on) in the sun every day. I also bring a heating pad, place it under half of his bin (so he can move on or off it) on low, to keep him warm at night. I adjust the heat up or down by using folded towels to cover screen, if needed. At hotels, I keep the "do not disturb sign" on door, so maids are not surprised! (I never let him run around on hotel carpets; never know what they have used for cleaning, or what he could find to eat.)

For day trips and car travel, he rides in a nice carrier for dogs that looks like a designer bag, with nylon netting on the ends for ventilation and looking out. For heat, I fill a plastic bottle with hot water, make sure it has no leakage, wrap it in a thin kitchen towel for him to stay warm. I like the pedialyte bottles; they are square, so do not roll around. I place some duct tape over open top, then screw down lid to make a good tight seal that will not leak hot water onto my baby. It stays warm for hours, and is easily reheated by refilling with hot water from a bathroom faucet. Dez loves his travel bag--he can see out, and feels safe. He loves car travel, and if my hubby is driving, Dez can ride on my lap or shoulder, but if I am driving he stays in his bag for safety sake. I like the fake designer dog carrier bag because I can take Dezi in with me, just about everywhere, and no one knows it is a Beardie in the bag. I cover the screen ends with a magazine, if I want to look like it is a big purse. Most people do not notice or ask.

I have friends who would look after Dez for me, but I know he would not eat well, and they would not see the more subtle signs if he should become sick or depressed...I also am picky about keeping an eye on his heat,humidity,poo,etc all throughout the day. So, where I go, He goes! ...Have lizard, will travel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom