2 months w/out pooping - very worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingoDragon

My 2 year old male bearded dragon, Wingo, is a very important part of the family and I am worried about him. It's been about 7 weeks since he has pooped. He is very bloated and cranky. He IS eating, though, and seems to be moving around ok. I have asked several pet store people what to do and they have said to stop feeding him crickets or mealworms and stick to greens (I'm feeding collard greens currently) and things like watermelon - for all the water in it. He is eating the greens, but not the watermelon. I mist him every day and I have started soaking him in the bathtub up to his neck with lukewarm water, but no poop.

I am worried......I don't think I can afford an expensive trip to the vet, but I'll manage it somehow to save him. I know he could die - 2 months is a long time. I adore Wingo, please help.

By the way, he is housed in an 8X8 terrarium, has a UVB light on all day (off at night) and a 100 watt ceramic basking lamp. I am currently using walnut shell for his ground cover - I've heard good and bad about this substance, but I've never had issues with it before.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
First you need to get him some olive oil or applesauce. I'd go with olive oil. Give him a few drops and and keep doing the warm baths and massages right below the right arm pit. You have to get him to poop as he is impacted.

I understand your thought that you haven't had a problem with the walnut substrate but, I think you just proved that thought wrong. Get rid of that stuff immediately as this was most likely caused. Also, answer these questions so we can make sure that we right any wrongs.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

LJean

Extreme Poster
I agree with the olive oil maybe mixed with some unsweetened applesauce to help him poo. Just a few drops at a time. I sure hope more baths and the oil helps.

WingoDragon

Original Poster
Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll answer these as best I can. Regarding giving him olive oil - he has always been 'hard to handle' and can be aggressive. He bit me once, but a very long time ago. Right now, he does not like being handled - I can imagine he is very uncomfortable. Any suggestions for getting the oil down if he doesn't like being handled? I guess I'm not sure how I am going to get his mouth open.......

How old is your dragon? about 2 1/2 years
How long have you had your dragon? about 2 years
How long is your dragon? he is approx. 15 inches long
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 8X8
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? walnut shell
Do you use UVB lights? yes - a15W tube
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? fluorescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? brand - don't know - wattage is 15
How old is your UVB bulb? brand new
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? he is about 5/6 inches from it
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? yes - it is ceramic and separate - it's 100 watts
What are the basking temps? not sure
What is the cool side temp? not sure
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? I don't have a thermometer
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. I feed him fresh greens everyday - romaine lettuce sometimes, mustard greens, collard greens - occasionally kale, cauliflower leaves, broccoli leaves, celery leaves. He LOVES blueberries, but this is a rare treat - maybe a couple a month. he eats sliced apples, bananas - about twice a week. he also usually has some of the bearded dragon hard pellets (cricket flavored) in his food dish.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? I put fresh food in his tank in the early evening.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? I buy them from pet stores - they say they are gutloaded.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? I sprinkle dragon dust vitamins on his greens a couple times a week.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? no......it's been about 7 weeks.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? I have started too - two to three times a week, I soak him in the tub up to his neck in lukewarm water.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? he has a water dish and I also mist him a couple times a day.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Investing in a good digital thermometer with a probe would be a good idea. Basking temps are important for digestion and helping them poo. You will want to know what those temps are. ;)

As for the olive oil, I use an eyedropper or needless syringe and drip a few drops on the nose so they can lick it off. If he will eat a bit of the greens, maybe you could a drop or two on them.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Is the enclosure 8inches x 8 inches???? That seems very small!!!

Anyway, it is more than likely that what you are seeing is the effects of 2 years of walnut substrate built up in his tummy. I do think a vet may be a very wise option as I have read that the walnut substrate can be an absolute nightmare for them to pass.

In the meantime, ensure his basking temp is up around the 105 mark. Give him frequent warm baths AT LEAST once per day whilst massaging his tummy, and put him on a totally liquid diet. Add the olive oil to the apple sauce and he should be willing to lick it off a dropper or even your finger tip. Feed him chicken/veggie baby food instead of greens and live food - you dont want his digestive system having any extra work during this time. I have also heard that pumpkin can be used as a laxative.

Good luck!

T

Freeie

Extreme Poster
At his age his basking temp needs to be between 100f to 105f for proper digestion cool side of his viv should be between 80f to 85f. The therms with the probe are awsome for placing under the basking point to see how hot it gets where he basks. They dont normaly drink from a dish so misting/bathing are the way to go. Do you give him calcium? Is your basking bulb a bright light or just put out heat but no light? Knowing the brand of your UVB light is important you can look on the bulb and it should tell you. Reptisun 10 is one of the best long tube bulbs. Some UVB lights can be harmful thats why its important to know. Everyone gave you great tips on how to get him to poo. I hear some dip their fav food in the oil like worms or feed them the applesause. I hope your baby gets better soon :D

WingoDragon

Original Poster
I think I must be really concerned, as apparently, I'm not thinking straight. His tank is about 3 feet by 3 feet and about 12 inches tall. It's a big enclosure - he has plenty of room.

Thank you all for your advice - I will get a thermometer with a probe ASAP.

The 15W fluorescent tube UV light is a ReptiSun brand. The ceramic heat lamp is 100 watts and does not emit any light - only heat. He does simply lay on the bottom of the tank frequently - without much action.....for about one week and then he is moving around again - he has done this for about one year, though. A friend told me he may not be warm enough........could that be the case? Once I get the thermometer, I guess I'll know, huh?

It must be hard for you guys to read all these issues and questions and the bottom line seems to be amateurs trying to take care of their pets and not really knowing the proper way to do it. We love Wingo, though, he is an awesome pet and very much a part of the family. What we may lack in care knowledge, we make up for with love - if that counts.

By the way, I swicthed to walnut shell about 6 months ago - for the first year and a half I used calci-sand.

Thanks again. :) How do you post pictures on here? I'd love to let you see the handsome guy!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
My understanding with walnut shells is that they are as dangerous as calci sand is, maybe moreso as the walnut shells can impact them and also cut their insides.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Oh heck i was there at one point too trust me its never a problem :D

You will need to get a basking bulb or a household bulb for the heat/light they need a bright light next to the UVB bulb to keep the UVB from damaging their eyes since they are on for 12hr a day and off another 12 hrs. The bright light keeps them from looking at the lights :D 12 inches tall id try a 60 watt household bulb and see if that puts off enought heat to reach the 100 to 105 mark. Household bulbs are $3 to $4 for 4 (non coil bulbs just a standard bulb) a basking light from the pet stores run you from $7 to $10 for 1. If the house gets below 70f you can use the ceramic heat bulb for at night. They like it dark so no light is needed for over night.

MissT

BD.org Addict
All of us have had questions at some point and all of us have made mistakes.... many many mistakes... :wink:

But now, you can start to sort out any problems there may be. Once you remove the walnut shell, you can be sure that he wont ingest any more and cause himself any more issues. O and I would switch the heat bulb to a regular household flood/spot lamp - they associate light with heat which attracts them to a basking area, the bright white light helps protect their eyes from the UV light and they are reasonably priced so you can try lots of different wattages to get the heat you need without spending a fortune each time!

I really hope he starts pooping for you soon!!! Hopefully, with all of these ideas you will get somewhere!

Good luck!

T

WingoDragon

Original Poster
You are all really awesome and I thank you for taking the time to show your concern and give me advice and tips on how to make him well again. A question, though, what do you recommend for a ground covering then? I've even heard people recommend wild bird seed.....but I would think that could pose a threat as well. Is there something safe that is not overly expensive out there?

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
FIrst off, BIG hugs to you!

For substrate, most here will recommend tile or non adhesive shelf liner. I use tile. An added bonus to tile, is that if it's slate, it will keep his nails filed down for you :wink: .

I wanted to tell you that you have definitely come to the right place for help! I have been here a short time myself, but am now ADDICTED lol. I have learned SO much about my precious babies, and my MISTAKES I made with them before finding this place. The people here are AMAZING and SO willing to help!

I hope your baby will poo soon. Like Im sure someone said above, warm baths and if you can manage it, gentle belly massages to help him pass the impaction.

HUGS!

Sandi

MissT

BD.org Addict
TazzysMamma":467e5 said:
For substrate, most here will recommend tile or non adhesive shelf liner. I use tile. An added bonus to tile, is that if it's slate, it will keep his nails filed down for you .

And until you can get that sorted, paper towels are a great, inexpensive alternative - rather than keeping him on the walnut, which could, potentially, undo any progress you make!

Also, I just thought of this.... you meantioned he didnt like to be handled so will you be able to massage his belly???? Do your best to do this, but as well as that, try gently swirling the water around so he is moving if you know what I mean.... nothing too aggressive... but I have noticed that the more swimming my little dude does, and the more the water 'splashes' around him, the more likely he is to poop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom