1st timer. *edit,Pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennBeardy

So im attempting to breed superworms iv read alot and gathered info so i started my first. i have about 10 isolated to themself and about a hour after i did this a superworm looked like it was going to turn into a puipa but its still as big as the superworm and it looks like it just shed an outside layer thats all. do they do this to continue to grow? im just confused haha its my first time and if anyone has an anwser,please do share thanks alot!

this is my whole setup.small but its my first time remember.
setup1st.jpg

This is one of my trays.
2ndtray.jpg

And this is where currently im setting my adults to await the puipas,as you can see the one im talking about is the one on the bottom left.how its white and it just like "shed" i guess?
pupiaawaiting.jpg

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
They will shed and turn into white worms, which then I would feed them to my beardie, they don't happen every day and our babies just loves them.
It takes a quite a few days for them to be stressed out enough to turn into the pupae but you've got an excellent set up!!! :D

BennBeardy

Original Poster
Ahh awsome thank you for anwsering my question :) Ya its not much for right now but its my first attempt haha :)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I must agree with Whisker'smom about the white worms we use those as a special treat. :mrgreen:
Even if my beardies are not hungry they will never turn down a white worm. :lol:

It seems to me that the warmer(should I say in the 80's) and darker it is where the supers are isolated the quicker they pupate. Either way they will take 1 to 2 weeks before they turn into aliens.

I started out with a measly 2 dozen beetles and I have thousands of supers already. The hardest part is waiting for the baby worms to grow to a size big enough to feed to your beardies.

Plus I had a problem with my first couple of batches of worms...grain mites and moths and had to throw them out. If you microwave your substrate it will help with this problem if it occurs for you.

BennBeardy

Original Poster
Grain mites and moths? that does not sound like somthing that would be interesting to me. anything to do with mites is my sworn enemy!!!! :angry5: do they eat up your substrate or somthing?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
They will destroy your colony of baby supers. If the grain mites are present you will notice that your container seems dusty on the sides an around the air holes. If you get moths(silverfish is what I think they were called) the substrate will clump up and appear to be webby.

I haven't had any problems sense one of our members suggest to me that I microwave my substrate. See even newly bought grains and cereals can contain them. An you know mites it's not like you can see them.

You really should check out this thread it is full of good information for growing supers.
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=85334

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom