16" rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all!

Many times, I have heard reference to the 16" rule. People say certain feeders, such as mealworms and superworms, should not be fed to their dragons until they are 16" long because of the kink in their intestines, which eventually straightens out.

Well, Chief is about 15 inches now, but he is just under 3 months old, which most would consider a baby still. If he reaches 16" should it be OK to feed supers, etc., even though he is so young? Or is there an age attached to this rule as well? What if your dragon just has a really long tail? Would it be smarter to measure snout to vent and come up with a new, more accurate recommendation?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
ChiefsDaddy":2fdwj5sm said:
Hi all!

Many times, I have heard reference to the 16" rule. People say certain feeders, such as mealworms and superworms, should not be fed to their dragons until they are 16" long because of the kink in their intestines, which eventually straightens out.

Well, Chief is about 15 inches now, but he is just under 3 months old, which most would consider a baby still. If he reaches 16" should it be OK to feed supers, etc., even though he is so young? Or is there an age attached to this rule as well? What if your dragon just has a really long tail? Would it be smarter to measure snout to vent and come up with a new, more accurate recommendation?

I have thought about this and in Thor's case I think I am going to hold off a bit for superworms, I am actually considering not feeding supers to him at all too. :wink:

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I probably won't be feeding him supers any time soon either, I'm just curious. My brain thinks of weird things at 2am LOL.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Darwin was 16.5" when I started him on about 5 supers a day, and went up to 10 supplemented with as many dubia roaches for about a week on a trial basis. He has always been regular with poops, in that he would poop a couple hours after the morning meal, every day. A few days after starting him on supers, he started pooping every other day, and the poop always had undigested chitin bits in it. He did like the supers, but since I took him off of it, he's back to his regular pooping schedule.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
ChiefsDaddy":2ym60uan said:
I probably won't be feeding him supers any time soon either, I'm just curious. My brain thinks of weird things at 2am LOL.
This isn't weird I have been in this thought process just never posted anything as I kept forgetting. However you do bring up a great point, what is the length of a dragon from snout to vent that this kink grows out...

I will see if I can find anything, unless someone else can answer. :study:

Well any news? Did you all forget about the thread or did it get buried to quick. Here is a bump, because I am interested in the answer.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I didn't forget but, I did get buried. LOL
I am still interested in this as Thor is growing, he is @18 inches in total length but, 11 inches of that is tail.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 16 inches the kink in the system is adequately straightened out.

You can safely feed your dragon supers once the dragon is at least 16 inches. However if your dragon is 16 inches and is skinny as a twig, I would consider holding off the superworms even at 16 inches until the body 'matures' more.

But, if your dragon is a healthy 16 inches, it will be fine.

Thor can definitely handle superworms if you choose to give him some Michael.

-Brandon

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I wanted to hopefully find out what the body length of this would be instead of a nose to tail tip, it would be a nose to vent length.
I have had to feed Thor some superworms, he has past them fine but, I generally only give him lighter colored or fresh sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom