13.5 year old beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

claychick

Hatchling Member
I'm sad because it seems like our 13.5yo beardie might not be with us much longer. He'd been slowing down for years but always perked up a bit after brumation. He's had trouble seeing and has mostly needed to be hand fed for a couple of years.

After brumation, he's really sluggish and doesn't seem to want to eat. If he tries to, he can't get the food at all now. I think his vision has faded even more. When we hand feed him, he can't figure out how to get the food from us. He keeps missing. It's sad to see how much he's deteriorated. He's just not the same after this brumation.

I can't think of anything else to do other than to keep trying to help him eat. His set up is the same, and his bulbs were replaced recently. I'm guessing this is age.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Poor thing! I guess it's really something to get them to live to this age, so you must have given him excellent care as well as a ton of love. I'm only 1.5 years into my 1st beardie's life, so I can't offer anything but sympathy if this is indeed an end-of-life situation.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor guy ! Is that him [ Aztec ] in your profile picture ? He is a very good old age but if he will eat via syringe he might still hang on for a while. Is he active at all ? Do you have any pictures of him + his set up ?

Try syringe feeding him some home made slurries or ask the vet for Critical Care supplemental nutritious food.

claychick

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, Aztec. He's done great with our set up for all these years. He's pretty sluggish now. He's been slowing down for years but would still perk up and eat when we fed him. Now, he can't get the food even when we feed him. His tongue goes the wrong way if he even tries. We'd been struggling with this but could get food in him with effort. Now, it's seeming impossible if we even opens up. I'm afraid because he's not eating.

I'm going to contact the vet. He really needs food. The syringe might be the way to go. Thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's a beautiful boy ! Can you post current pics of him ? How long did he brumate ? It would definitely be good to get some critical Care formula for him, I really hope he'll be able to eat some and maybe start doing better. Best wishes for your special boy !

claychick

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can't figure out how to upload a pic. He's very handsome.

I've been trying to hand feed him. He looks at it so he can still see. Today he opened his mouth a tiny bit, and I was able to slide a wax worm in. He's not sticking his tongue out or trying for the food.

He's seeing the vet today.

claychick

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has a mouth infection. I knew there was a reason he wasn't opening up! The vet said he's a good weight so she wasn't worried about his low eating yet (we went in early!). If we can't get the meds in him, or if they don't help, we'll talk about syringe feeding.

I can't get the photo to upload but will try another time from a computer.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
At least you know what you're dealing with now ! Hope you can get the meds. in him, they should make them all taste good so the dragons would willingly take them !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom