10 year old beardie shedding help

Status
Not open for further replies.

OviDear

For the past couple of days he has been very lethargic (it was like when I first got him) and when I gave him a bath he stopped holding his head up (he wasn't drinking I checked). He stays on his patch of astroturf everyday and barely moves, and to top it all off my family won't go out to buy crickets for me because "he doesn't need that much"... (really wish I had a job :| ). I also need help with convincing my mother that he does need a lot of crickets (without making her mad...).
-Temps are unknown since I don't have a thermometer
-he has healthy feces, and defecates once almost everyday

Savora

Hatchling Member
I do think you should invest in a cheap probe thermometer. They can be bought at WalMart for $5-$10, as well as online for $5-$10. Without this, you do not know if your beardie is basking at adequate or safe temperatures.

What type of UVB do you have (coil, fluorescent tube, or MVB) and what is its brand?

How long have you had the beardie and how many crickets do you feed it?

Adult beardies actually don't need many insects; their diets should be 30% insects and 70% veggies. Lots of people feed their adult beardies insects once every two or three days, and leave a healthy salad for them every day.

Is his whole enclosure's substrate Astroturf?

OviDear

Original Poster
Savora":1b7n2d1l said:
I do think you should invest in a cheap probe thermometer. They can be bought at WalMart for $5-$10, as well as online for $5-$10. Without this, you do not know if your beardie is basking at adequate or safe temperatures.

The problem is that I don't have money to get anything right now, I did ask for a temp gun (idk what it's called) for christmas.

What type of UVB do you have (coil, fluorescent tube, or MVB) and what is its brand?

Trex has a 150ww bulb by exo terra and a T10 24 inch fluorescent tube that is about 4 weeks old

How long have you had the beardie and how many crickets do you feed it?

I rescued him in october of this year, and I usually feed him as much as he wants. I get about 60 crickets every week (except this week :| )

Adult beardies actually don't need many insects; their diets should be 30% insects and 70% veggies. Lots of people feed their adult beardies insects once every two or three days, and leave a healthy salad for them every day.

Is his whole enclosure's substrate Astroturf?

his whole enclosure is lined with newspapers, but I have a small section of astroturf that is 1/3 the size of his cage (I'm 99% sure the cage is 75 gallons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom