Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear that you lost one of your geckos and that you're not feeling well. I hope you can manage with your coping strategies. I'm not dangerous either when I get depressed -- just moderately miserable and almost completely useless. I sit around listening to podcasts, watching TV, and playing stupid card games with the computer. I hope you can do better than me.

Puff's little pinkie finger seems to be doing fine. The vet said we were doing the right thing by keeping it clean and putting a little betadine on it, and make sure it doesn't look like it's getting infected, which it doesn't. She said she didn't need to see him and told me the claw might grow back or it might not, depending on how much of it broke off. I'm not worried if it doesn't grow back because I really think that little finger would be better off without a claw anyway. He's doing fine otherwise -- napping and eating and pooping... :)

Nice weather here lately with temperatures in the low 60s. My husband is out picking dandelions and then mowing the lawn, minus a few good patches of dandelions for him and Puff which he won't mow down until they get old, then he'll save another patch of fresh young ones. He likes dandelion greens more than Puff does, but I don't like them because they're bitter, although I wish I did -- free salad. And grass and weeds grow really tall really fast this time of year with all the extra daylight.

We're planning a day trip to visit some friends in rural Alaska (Trapper Creek) week after next. They're pretty isolated where they live so we all decided that we would probably be fairly safe where covid is concerned. They are an elderly couple who live the real Alaskan lifestyle, and they used to babysit my husband when he was little. We have visited them every summer since we were married 21 years ago.

I guess that's enough TLDR for one post. I hope you feel better soon.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So Oreo passed away June 13-14. One of those days. I now have a really young hamster. She doesn't bar chew as far as I know. We took precautions on how to disinfect the cage tho Oreo died of old age. I never said bye to her because I didn't know. She was happy, healthy and just eating and drinking the night before. We didn't suspect death. She was 3 years old and the max for most hamsters. Some have lived longer but haven't had that experience.

Not much to say about dragons. It's summer and they sit in their bunny hutch each day as it's hitting 70s here. They're all eating and using bathroom. Broly didn't eat for one day but that's not a problem.

Rain our new hamster is smaller than Oreo and also Ash! Im surprised she's younger than my hamster from 2015. I looked through pics and they're bigger than her. She must be 2 months old. Im taming her as it's been a week and she's not so darn fast. I learned from Oreo that they are fast their first few days home. She's running her wheel something Ash and Oreo didn't do. Well they did just not during the day. I think she's too young to understand the time difference. She'll still wake up at night and play a bit with her wheel. She has toys (Oreo didn't use) and she's not sure what to do. Definitely young..she'll eat hamster food. She doesn't know to chew the wood chews yet, she knows what to do with the wheel, food and water. She's also made multiple nests. Definitely too young she's not sure what part of the tank to use so she uses everywhere. She's already getting bigger. Tom nicknames her Venom (like from Spiderman) because she's into biting when you try to tame her. Of course you don't have to bother her for her to randomly bite. So I'll have to work with her to stop her.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear about Oreo, but good that she was happy and healthy up to the very end. Also good practice to disinfect the cage before putting another hamster in it. Hopefully the young one will be with you for a good long time.

We had a gerbil that would use his running wheel for the upstairs bathroom. Good that Rain knows what it's for as well as knowing what the food and water is for. Nothing wrong with multiple nests -- she has one whenever and wherever she wants it. And maybe she'll stop biting when she figures out what the wood chews are for and finds something better to to with her teeth.

Puff is developing a bad habit of pooping in his feeding bin right after his bath instead of pooping in the bath. I don't know what's up with that. At least it's still a little easier to clean up after him than it would be if he pooped in his tank after he was done eating. We almost always give him a bath and then feed him afterwards -- so the meal is a reward for tolerating the bath.

Nice weather here lately too, with some needed rain mixed in. I don't think we've topped 70 yet but I'm fine with 60s, especially after last year's heat wave. It rained when we visited our friends on Monday but we stayed outside under umbrellas and enjoyed the day anyway -- and fed the mosquitoes. I was surprised that there were so many of them out in the rain. I looked like I had the chicken pox when I got home. Alaska is famous for mosquitoes, and also a place where if you let the weather stop you from doing what you want, you'll never do anything. :roll: Happy summer...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

The dragons weren't very happy with the death of Oreo.
They were out of it wanted no cuddles. Broly doesn't want cuddles anyway so not worrying. Kane though...yikes. Kane didn't want any. Jamie doesn't give a crap! Kane is the only one. Nobody ate for 3 days after we buried her. Now everyone eats.

We are in the process of hand taming. She's skiddish even though she's taking food from me. Bolts anytime she's in my hand and it's expected. Im smart about it because I know what she'll do. I sit on the bed so she falls a short distance and not hurt because well, bed. I need to find a place to let her play. Free roaming. Cats will be up and my dog won't bother anyone. Quill our other dog well he usually stays in his bed till 6 am. Even with all the dangers out of the way I don't have a place. Bathroom is a no go, Tom or Paul may use it during the time we play. I'll have to make something work.

I had no sleep the last two days. Full 48 hours so I didn't respond to anything you posted Im sure.

Too bad, Puff is going elsewhere. Broly always goes in his tank and he'll need a monthly bath. Gotta keep him clean after using the bathroom all previous month long.

Rain knows how to use the ball though I don't use it often. It's controversial if it's dangerous or not. It's mostly used to transport her. Only if she could use toys instead of bars. I guess she just doesn't get it yet and she's been here two weeks. I hope she figures it out, she's keeping me up. Paul lives here now and yeah...can't move her like I could with Oreo. Maybe I'll get used to it.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hiya...

I'm glad your dragons all seem to be better after missing Oreo.

I think Puff is like Jamie when it comes to cuddles -- he can take it or leave it. :|

Maybe you could find a way to set up some sort of a little playpen for Rain? I had one of those balls for my little gerbil and he used it although I had to tape it shut to keep it from coming unsnapped. I never had to use it to move him though. I had two cats at the time too and managed to keep the gerbil safe from them. And two ferrets, just before I married a man who is severely allergic to anything with fur. I was lucky enough to find good homes for the cats and the ferrets otherwise my wedding day would have been the saddest one of my life. But my husband's allergist actually tested him and found out he wasn't allergic to gerbils so we kept the little guy, who died during our first year of marriage at the ripe old age of about 4 years. That was my only experience with little furry rodent critters like hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, etc, unless you count the time in school when we taught rats to do tricks for cookies.

Yeah, missing out on too much sleep can really fry your brain -- I've been there and done that. Especially this time of year with all the extra daylight. It's hard for Alaskans to go to sleep late at night when the sun is still up. I call it "midnight sunstroke." 8) We're on the other side of the summer solstice now but we won't have much real night until around August.

We don't mind too much that Puff is pooping in his feeding bin. It's not as good as doing it in his bath but it's still easier to clean up after him than if he does it in his tank. He gets a bath every day not so much for cleanliness but for hydration. I do try to check him after he poops though. It usually comes clean but once in a while he needs a little toilet paper. :roll:

We're having a "heat wave" with temperatures in the mid 70s but nothing like last year, thank goodness. My husband has had 2 weeks off but goes back to work next Monday. He's been working out in the yard because he hates to be cooped up in the house on a nice day. It's pretty outside through the windows but I'm not much for being out in the "hot" (relatively speaking) sun.

That's probably enough TLDR from me for now. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Rain is getting bigger! She should be 3 mos old this month. She's about as big as our first, hamster, Ash. Im still taming her and she's not liking it LOL. She might be my first "look, don't touch" hamster. We have a guinea pig brush and Rain, like Oreo, loves getting her coat brushed.

Broly eats salads and bugs. His potty has been strange. It's liquidity but not more smelly than usual. It could be stress from Oreo being dead. It's been 3 weeks. The dragons have all met Rain (she was out, they were in their tanks) they didn't black beard or anything.

So all is well. Im gonna get some more sleep...Im feeling like Im gpnna pass out.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi...

That's a new one on me -- I've had cats that liked being brushed, but I never knew that hamsters liked it too.

Puff went for about a week without a poop and eventually ended up having a big sloppy accident in his tank -- dragged his tail through it and everything. My poor husband had to clean it up because I've gotten too short and too fat to reach the bottom of the tank, but I was glad that Puffie finally pooped because I was getting worried about him.

Unlike Broly, Puff is eating mostly bugs and a little squash -- very little salad except with much coaxing, as usual -- normal for him. :roll:

So all's well here too -- we've been getting some much needed rain but sunny and nice in between, and nice temps in the high 60s and low 70s. :) Puff is napping in his hide off and on the way he has been doing for a while now.

I hope you can catch up on your sleep -- you definitely need some if you feel like you're going to pass out. :shock:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It's been a while. I sleep a bit at night. Not enough.

I've been in a sleep center for about 2 weeks. I got let out and tried to nap during the day. Tom and Paul took care of everything while I was gone. Im back to getting housework done. Laundry and animal care.

My melatonin has decreased over time and now I take them at night. I need sleep support. Everyone is getting out and getting sun. Eating, going to the bathroom. They're all healthy. Including Rain, she isn't hand tamed all the way. Because of the sleep center and her not letting anyone but me hold her and tame her we're at stage 1 again. Skiddish and nibbling me. We're getting better but for now we've started over.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
HI...

I hope your stay at the sleep center helped. Not being able to get enough sleep can really mess things up. Sometimes it can make me manic, which feels good at the start but can get out of control and make me crazy if I'm not careful. Trying to keep a regular sleep schedule helps if you can get away with it.

My mother took melatonin, but I've never used it because I'm afraid it could make my depression worse. Under medical supervision maybe. Getting out and getting some sun during the day (if you can tolerate it) is probably helpful too.

Speaking of sleep, Puff is still napping a lot during the day and sometimes spends the night in his hide. I often wonder if he'd just stay there all the time if we didn't get him out for a bath and a meal every day, but we're not going to let him do that. He seems healthy otherwise. His weight is fairly stable and he eats bugs when offered, so we must be doing something right.

I guess you had a little setback with Rain, but hopefully it will be easier to get her tamed again the second time around.

Happy weekend :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well this phone is just slow. Anyway, things are semi normal.

I still dont sleep well till about 5 or 6am. Fuuun. No not really. Things haven't been great. I have too much stress with upkeeping everyone. I rarely post on Facebook. Im more on discord but don't do much there either.

The dragon gang is going strong as always and everybody been taken care of. I have two other people in the house and they help tremendously. Nobody is sick or skinny. I still get to interact with everyone including animals. Im not lying around all day. I sleep in past 10am most mornings because my crap schedule.

Rain has been better still pretty jumpy and skiddish. Any noise or movement makes her bolt. She's definitely gonna be a hard case to tame. She'll take more time than Oreo and Ash did. It won't be too hard. I'll play with her and hold her more.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Not much going on around here either -- Puff is still spending most of his time in his hide, unless we get him up for bath and meals or take him out to cuddle him. He still eats, but not as much. His weight is down a little but still above 500 grams so I'm not too worried at this point. He has an excuse because the days are getting shorter but the weather is still nice -- sunny and rainy now and then. Not too much summer left -- fall and winter come early around here.

I've been depressed and laying around and sleeping too much lately. It's either that or not enough sleep. No happy medium. They changed my meds and it seems to be making it worse. (Yes I'm on meds as much as I hate the whole idea.)

It sounds like you're being very patient and persistent with your efforts to tame Rain, and that's probably what it will take. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Everyone is doing well. Broly has yellow on the palm of one of his front feet. He doesn't have an injury well an old one that's a scar. That healed 2-3 yrs ago. Doesn't look scabby like yellow fungus either. Idk how he would get it since he has no contact with other dragons or contaminated soil. Idk how long it's been there. I just noticed it. Man, I hate not knowing when it showed up. Tom thinks it's either shed or stained skin. Paul thinks the same. I do remember Broly being a yellow shedder on his underside. On his top side he's a dark shedder. Lips and beard are pink sheds LOL. I gave a bath he didn't seemed bothered by it. It did not come off so we're doing the "wait and see" method first. It's also nowhere else on his body. He does tend to step in his butternut squash and the color got on his foot. Sometimes yellow pieces of butternut do get thrown in the bowl. Other than the random whenever yellow skin shown up he's perfect. Eats, uses the bathroom and gets to go outside. He also had a bath last week and if it's been there then, then it's not yf. It didn't occur to me to check feet. I check chest,stomach, legs, tail, femoral pores and his butt.

A tldr on Broly dang.

Everyone else is checked properly. Kane has orange on his tail and that's his bathroom. We got him a bath and it's better. Jamie has yellow on her tail and we know for sure that's shed. Should be the same for our 5 yr old Broly.
Will update later if anything happens. We have a vet, Tom and he has a vet school to double check with. We're covered should something happen.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi...

Puff's sheds are usually greyish -- the color fades out. He's got one on his tail that he's been working on like forEver, but at least it's not all the way around, so not constricting his tail. I'm glad it doesn't turn yellow or other colors because then I'd be worried. although like Broly he doesn't have contact with any other beardies that he could catch anything from, or who could catch adenovirus from him.

He has coloring on his face and eyes that is almost exactly the same color as butternut squash, and he's a messy eater, so sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. We try to clean him up after meals.

You're lucky your husband is a vet (like I've said before) so you have a professional to help you take care of all your critters, as well as a place to take them if it's something that can't be taken care of at home.

My husband got sent home early yesterday because of a covid scare at work. Someone who had been out of the state turned out to have a negative test, but they took precautions. He doesn't know if he's supposed to be there today but he went in anyway and is supposed to call me and let me know if he's coming back home or not.

Rainy and cloudy for the past day or two, but the sun's coming out now. Puff doesn't seem to care one way or the other -- he just went in his hide and he'll probably stay there for the rest of the day until bath time. :sleepy2:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Soo it turns out that the yellow is in fact a shed. His pinky gave it away. Tom held out his hands for comparison, he said the pinky on the right is "swollen" than the left. Sheds have this weird illusion for swollen limbs. He does have a cut or some black dirt on one finger I scrubbed it, didn't come off but wasn't bothered either. So stuck dirt that the shed will take or a scab from a cut. It doesn't look dangerous it also didn't hurt him. Nobody knew he had a cut if that's what it is. No weird colors by it if again a cut so not infected so I'll leave it be. Idk when that got there either. Broly why are you a mysterious case my guy?! Also more yellow is popping up now at this point you'd think "omg!!!" but no need it's another shed on his other hand and his right back foot. Though his back foot is just a yellow line going down his foot. Im thinking it just gonna find somewhere to stop and set up for a shed. I have been watching the black line on his finger. It's not doing anything so far. Not bleeding, weird colors, pus or pain. Idk what it really is but if it's not doing anything or causing discomfort Im not gonna irritate it with scrubbing. As I look for the black line again, it's not there...huh must've been dirt and worked its way out.

Another thing Broly did was hide on my bed Idk why. He eventually came out from the corner and ran around. He also jumped too. Luckily not a far enough drop to my soft fluffy robe just lying there. He was on my bed for the record not on me. I was standing at the time. I know the rules do not stand up and walk around with your dragon on your shoulder they can jump. He also had a dark beard while hiding so something was messing with him. I didn't see a cat or dog probably the shed. He eats a ton so not off food. He's 570g he did go up from 563 so that's good. Lovely Kane had Tom check stool and there was +4 coccidia so started treatment there. He's already getting better his crap doesn't smell so bad now. Hmm...Idk how he got that, my bug bins are clean. I rinse off every salad item. Tom checked Jamie and Broly as they all eat the same thing, they're clean. What's done is done and he's feeling better he gets a non dairy yogurt treat for his good gut bacteria. He loves it!! It's blueberry. All natural blueberry with acidophilus+ Broly gets some too or else angry lizard. Such a jealous guy. Jamie didn't care she was tired from lying 25 eggs (not at once) so she gets more food and calcium than the boys. She's still a bit pair shaped so there's at least maybe 10-15 eggs then she's done for the year. She's a summer layer. Alright that's a tldr I need to turn on the dehumidifier because humid yet again. Summer can go away, though my plants and reptiles love it! Maybe Broly will go down for winter hopefully not though...I'll be bored in the 5 years he hasn't tho. We'll see what happens.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi...

Too bad they don't shed all in one piece or at least symmetrical instead of little bits here and there and different colors. (They're better at that when they're young.) It would make it less stressful for their human slaves worrying about whether it's something serious or just a shed.

Also too bad that the females lay eggs anyway even when they're not fertile. Waste of biological resources -- energy, calcium, etc.

I'm done with summer too. If the temperatures would stay in the 60s all year I'd be happy. We've had a few days in the 70s still but it's expected to cool off and rain this next week like it's supposed to this time of year. My husband's squash experiment is till growing but I'll be surprised if it gets any flowers let alone squash. Lots of greens though. Our neighbor built a greenhouse last year and has been giving us lettuce and zucchini.

Puff just finished with his bath and his meal -- only one large roach, so I wouldn't be surprised if he spends the rest of the afternoon napping in his hide again. :roll:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom