Sore on Paw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Targ

Hi everyone! My girl Merlin is around 4-5 years old. She has always had a bum front leg, but has never had any trouble scooting to get around etc. She sometimes has some trouble crawling up onto her log, and often has to drag herself/loses balance etc. I recently found this little sore-looking thing on said bum leg. It doesn't look too bad, but of course I'm worried for my scaly child. I do *NOT* like the local exotic pet vet, and do not trust them (I had a friend lose a beardie due to their advice). I think she may have probably gotten this little injury from dragging herself. She has also recently shed! Still some flakes on her spikes. Here are some pics of the injury. Can anyone advise me? A friend mentioned potentially antibiotic cream. I've also read about some kind of honey? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!

95326-706155780.jpg

95326-9839759692.jpg

Do you think there is pus underneath it or an abcess. It is hard to find a good reptile vet. You could get some silvadene cream and see if that helps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's just from dragging then it will probably heal up OK as long as you keep it clean to prevent infection. The Silvadene cream is a good option as is raw/unpasteurized honey but that can make a mess if it's dragged around on a foot so you might want to cover it with a bandaid once it's applied so it doesn't get everywhere.

Targ

Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon. So you recommend putting some Silvadine on it to keep clean? What even is that stuff / is it a pretty common product?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it's fairly common. It's just a topical antibiotic. You could use plain neosporin (without pain reliever) as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is very pretty. :D How long has she had a sore foot & are there any other feet/hands
that have swelling? It does look like some pus possibly, from infection.
I would try the silvadene, or antibiotic ointment to see if that helps out. If not, it would be
helpful to have some fluids aspirated from that area to have it cultured for analysis. Though,
I know it's rough finding a good vet to perform that.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Targ

Original Poster
Thank you! She is about the same. Her activity levels are normal. I don't see any pus, and none of her other legs have anything similar on them. That specific leg has always been a bit out of place, and she rubs it frequently while scooting around. I have put some neosporin on it for now, keeping my eye out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear there isn't any pus, that's great news. Poor girl, I hope you are able to get it
cleared up with some treatments.
It would help if she didn't drag that foot around! LOL You could try putting some gauze on it
to try & help alleviate it from being rubbed so much.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Targ

Original Poster
Thank you Tracie! Thank you for the recommendation. I'm tempted to try gauze, but I have a feeling this grumpy girl would rip it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom