Eye closing has increased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Hey y'all
From day one my beardie has closed is left eye on and off and was told that baby beardie a can do that and it normal.

Well I noticed today that he is doing it a lot more.
Here is a pic
Any thoughts?
86707-1677123532.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. What kinds of lights are you using? If his uvb is a coil/compact those have been known to cause eye issues.

Ancalagon

Charmander will do that! He'll close one eye and then the other and then shut both. He's just sleepy, or digesting.

It's exhausting being a baby beardie and growing as fast as they do!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which tube UVB are you using? It looks like you are using a halogen light for basking?
Could he be shedding on his face perhaps, that can cause them to close their eyes more as well as rubbing them on everything too.

Tracie

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply

The uv is repti Glo 10 aboit 7 1/2 inch away
He now as a bridge this where he can get closer to it.

He is not shedding as he just finished a few weeks ago.
The bulb that we are using for basking was one we got at a reptile store. I do not believe it's a halogen bulb.

He is def still closing that left eye a lot. Nothing is coming out of it but def seems to be annoying him.

Please let me know what you think :)
Just got a timer for his lights and not sure if maybe I need to get a dimmer as well?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The basking light is a bright white light correct? Does it have neodymium coating on it meaning it has a bluish tint when on?
This particular brand has been known to cause eye issues from time to time because the UVA spectrum is not real high. Maybe your basking light isn't bright enough to offset the UVB emissions.
His eye is not shedding though?
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for getting back to me

His eye is still bothering him...... I feel bad not sure what I need to do and I know I need to change something in there. I don't believe he is shedding.....

I have been bringing him outside to give him a brake from his lights

If it is the wrong bulb what should I get? How do I get his poor eye better?

The bulb has a dusted coating...... Let me go take a pic of it.

The basking bulb is a zoo med 75watt 12volt
86707-125726997.jpg
86707-5989096509.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmm....not sure why he'd be closing his eye so much. Does he get up close to to the lights ? Does he open his eye right up when you pick him up or leave it closed ?

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for posting!!!
Yes he will sit under the light at times and I have moved it more to the side so he can't.
If I go in and talk to him or pick him up he will open it look around then close it again and then repeat.

Is the basking light I am using ok for him?? Are my lights to close?
He also goes to the climbing later and will sit right under the uv light.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's a good chance that he's getting too close to the lights. I think you should remove the ladder, the other basking log is just the right distance. Try that.

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks!!!

So you think he is putting himself to close to the UV light?

So you feel it's more the uv causing the eye issue then the basking bulb?
What could I use to calm his eye?

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Can someone please help me with what to help soothe KI's eye with? He is keeping it closed more now then before and I don't know what to do. It does NOT look infected and I am puzzled.

Also just caught him rubbing his head on that side on his log??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When my beardie had eye infection I used raw honey diluted with 3 parts warm water. That might help if he has a problem from the uvb being too close and it irritated his eye. Drip it in with an eyedropper or use a Q-tip. Try that for a few days. Yes, raw honey directly on the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom