Not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

My cheeky hasn't been eating much over the last 6 weeks. He is 18 inch and weighs 510 grams, is about 20 months old.

He has been to the vet and had a good check over, bloods, xray and fecal and apart from being a bit dehydrated from not eating the vet was very happy with him, he isn't losing weight and even put on 20 grams over 6 weeks. The vet gave him a fluid and vitamin shot and we giving him an extra bath a week.

The lighting and setup is fine, temps under basking 40c and cool end 25c, uv is replaced every 6 months, kept on tile so no impaction risk. Only goes to toilet once a week but the fecal was fine.

He has always been a fussy eater as when we got him he was 4 months but the previous owners didn't feed him well so was very malnourished, but he still had a decent appetite. The last 6 weeks he has probably been eating about 6 adult locusts over a week, not even interested in wax worms which were his treat. He has seemed a bit lazy as seems to take a bit longer getting out the hide in morning but he is still fairly active and seems happy so don't think it's brumation. He has never been a lover of greens and only has the occasional nibble, he eats a bit of melon and apple if I hand feed a few times a week but that's it. I know melon doesn't have much nutritional value but at least it's fluid and I can get his calci powder and vitamin into him that way.

I know they slow down with eating as older but has anyone been through this and is it normal, any tips?

Anyone ever used vetark reptoboost? I have read it's good to get them eating and give them a boost. He doesn't drink water but he will usually drink a bit if I drip it on his mouth so will try that as don't think he will take from syringe. I believe you can also add it to the bath.

Any tips or advice would be good.

Cheers
Neil

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Neil....I wouldn't worry about it, he is very hefty, a bit on the high side of his weight range and since he has stopped growing he doesn't need much food. Don't bother with the Vetark unless he stops eating completely for a week or more. Some dragons just naturally slow way down, it balances out. Offering water drops to keep him hydrated is always good. :)

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, yeah the vet wasn't concerned and his weight hasn't dropped so will see how he goes but he seems fine so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom