Is kale ok for bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtnahhh

I just bought a bag and gave her some and she loves it, but now im reading they should only be a treat? Is this true, and if so, what green veggies can the eat regularly?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I feed mine some kale every now and then, but it is not good to be used as staple because it contains goitrogenic compound, which causes thiamin defficiency.

When I feed winter squash, I usually feed it raw. I grate it on the cheese grater so my bearded and iguana can digest it better. If you cut it into small cubes make sure you cook it first in the microwave until it is soft because it is easier to digest cooked squash.

thegreybush

Juvie Member
but it is not good to be used as staple because it contains goitrogenic compound, which causes thiamin defficiency.

Kale is rich in thiamin. Kale is also rich in vitamin A. Goitrogenic compounds are primarily problematic combined with the presence of thyroid problems like hypothyroidism. I can find no research suggesting that goitrogenic compounds bind thiamin, only iodine, which again lends itself to the problems associated with hypothyroidism. A normal functioning thyroid will have no problems with them as part of a varied diet because it will simply create more of the hormones that the body needs to compensate.

I use kale semi-regularly mixed with collard greens, mustard greens, and various squashes.

The debate with kale has also been associated with the fallacy that too much kale (and carrots in the same argument) will cause hypervitaminosis A which is also untrue (supplementation is a different story). Kale is also low in oxalic acid and will not inhibit the absorption of calcium, as compared to spinach for example, which is rich in oxalic acids and is not recommended for feeding.

edits in blue

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Squash can also be served raw. You can grate it with a cheese grater or depending on the texture like with spaghetti squash you can just break it up into small pieces. Beardies love squash. Mine tend to pick it out from the greens when they get the opportunity.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry, that's iodine defficiency. It binds with iodine. If you eat too much kale you get hypothyrodism. My bad!

thegreybush

Juvie Member
I can admit when I am being unfair and can take correction. I did more digging (I've read that article you linked before) in some other case studies and agree now that if fed a diet exclusively comprised of kale, hypothyroidism can possibly develop. I let my earlier post stand, however, as it doesn't have bad advice. Kale is still a good food to use in combination with other greens. I would also like to point out that some of these other studies recommended things like romaine and iceberg lettuce as great foods for your dragons which almost made me dismiss them completely, but I can accept that if you were to feed your dragon kale every day without variation you could possibly cause hypothyroidism. It would be treatable via oral supplementation, though.

I will be less harsh with my argument and say that if fed in combination with at least 2 other dark leafy greens, the chances of your dragon developing hypothyroidism is very very slim without a preexisting condition in the thyroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom