when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":1dw4xtng said:
I learned a new word from Reptiles magazine:

"cathemeral" -- "irregularly active at any time of night or day, according to prevailing circumstances"

Sounds like you have a little bit of that going on at your place. At our house, we have one diurnal bearded dragon, one crepuscular snake, one nocturnal human (my husband), and one "cathemeral" human (that would be me) who tries not to disturb the others when I'm up at all hours of the night and/or asleep during the day. :roll:

Yep .... I'm a night owl .... habits formed because most my working life either on three shift rotating roster ( Days, Avos, Dogwatch ) or on 24 hr callin and working load of overtime, add being a virtual lifelong student ( degrees in sciences, engineering, postgrad studies, and research engineering and often using the early quiet hours do my reading, study and research and paper and report writing ) and my love of jewfishing (best done at night , often right through the night - jewfish are the largest fish here and grow to over 120 pounds (but my biggest has been 86 pounds) and they are typically fished for in deep water harbours, on breakwaters, on ocean beaches, at the mouths of rivers and nearby rock platforms on headlands ( a much prized fish that few catch regularly , it pays to specialize in fishing for them ).

I think my lizards are awake often because I am and they might be hoping for a snuggle (even if I dim the lights in the living area and have the TV volume low).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless' jumbo hubbahut arrived this morning and he checked it out as soon as the box was removed and the hut installed .... I think he approves of it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Very pleasing to see Toothless curled up for his afternoon siesta under his new more spacious jumbo hubbahut..... :)

He definitely likes it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear it! Darwin has one too and likes it quite a bit along with his driftwood logs to bask on.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
All's well that ends well, huh? All comfy with a hide that fits. :D

BTW, remember when we were talking about how the beardies know the difference between the TV shows and the commercials? Now I'm wondering if they take their cues from their humans...

I was watching TV with my beardie this morning and I noticed he would perk up and look at me when the commercials came on, maybe like, "Ok, are you going to pay more attention to me now?" :?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":2lom977g said:
All's well that ends well, huh? All comfy with a hide that fits. :D

BTW, remember when we were talking about how the beardies know the difference between the TV shows and the commercials? Now I'm wondering if they take their cues from their humans... <<<< think it's the sudden increase in volume that initially gives them a clue something has changed, mine will wait a about 10 - 15seconds just in case it's just sudden loud scene.

I was watching TV with my beardie this morning and I noticed he would perk up and look at me when the commercials came on, maybe like, "Ok, are you going to pay more attention to me now?" :?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Ha! -- so I'm not the only one that has noticed that the volume gets louder when the commercials are on. Others have tried to tell me it just seems that way for various reasons. I've got to wonder if the "sponsors" make sure the broadcasters do it on purpose because they know that most people are going to go do something else while the commercial is on, and they want to make sure that their message gets heard...

Maybe our bearded dragons have got it figured out better than we do. :?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Quick update on how Peppa and Toothless are going.

Peppa was 594g on last Saturday....has become very needy , needing LOTS of daddy snuggles, she showed zero interest in going down today for some floor time give mommy stink eye for having the audacity to remove her from daddy where she was really REALLY REALLY into a long after feed snuggle. Back up for snuggle (on mommy) but made it clear she wanted her daddy by crawling off her looking at me from the chair.

Toothless was 456g on last Saturday .... he's still searching for Rex (two weeks after her death and her tank going into storage (looking a bit rough and lived in after being occupied by for Rex for nearly 3 years).

Growth seems to tapering off now.
r23qf4.png

hv32bs.gif

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Just saw Toothless "chucking a Puff" , sticking his head into the dome style pendulum reflector that I have one of my old 26W UVB200s (NOW equiv to a UVB150 ... remember I set it up really only for the little wild water skink who has taken up residence inside our house) which is hanging from the Komodo Lamp Stand, and then he started nudging it with his nose and patting it with his hand to keep it swinging. JUST LIKE PUFF USED TO DO.... must be a boy beardie thing .... ???

Peppa however is happy to just sit there and worship the UVB200 globe if we can coax her off me when she's been fed and is having a daddy snuggle.

Applying some tough love to Peppa , she gets offered her greens BEFORE I give her the crickets . Ofterwise she just spits the greens out if she knows there are crickets or superworms on offer too.
She did good as it didn't take too much coaxing to get her to eat her 1/2 big leaf of buk choi today.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ox3bffv said:
Nice steady growth rates. Peppa is quite a bit bigger than Darwin now!

She's gonna be a BIG girl when she's done growing I reckon.

At the same age as Peppa is now , Puff was 536g, and Rex was 513g , they gained about 100-120g before they stopped growing . cf Peppa 594g.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Your background in science and engineering is showing, as well as your excellent bearded dragon husbandry skills. Those growth charts are impressive. :D

My bearded dragon can refuse greens and hold out for bugs longer than I can stand to watch him go hungry. :roll: I already know I'm not gonna win that "tough love" thing.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":28bw0qe8 said:
Your background in science and engineering is showing, as well as your excellent bearded dragon husbandry skills. Those growth charts are impressive. :D

My bearded dragon can refuse greens and hold out for bugs longer than I can stand to watch him go hungry. :roll: I already know I'm not gonna win that "tough love" thing.

I gently prize the lips at the pointy end open , teeth naturally follow and into the gap formed goes the yucky green leafy stuff .... rolled/folded to form a bit of "stiff" green , or I find a bit of the thin vein and it goes in with green leafy stuff attached.
Sometimes she'll spit it out , sometimes she simply climbs up to my shoulder to try to avoid the yucky green stuff.
But eventually she gives in.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My husband has gotten really good at slipping a leaf in the beardie's mouth while he's busy chewing on a bug, but yesterday I noticed he still had a leaf in his mouth and was still half-heartedly chewing on it when I took him out of the feeding pen to put him back in his terrarium. "Daddy" got a big kick out of my comments: "So what's this all about? You're holding it in your mouth so you can spit it back out when we're not looking, aren't you?"

Some of them are just as bad as human children when it comes to trying to get them to eat their veggies. :roll:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa and Toothless' pooing frequency graphs , Toothless is much more "regular" than Peppa.
hvqs9c.png

Analysed period is from early Nov2016 to 13Apr2017.

14ugvf6.jpg

Not overly worried.... just interesting as an indication of Peppa's and Toothless' metabolic rates, based on the averages Toothless has a metabolic rate about 6.12/4.28 = 1.4x faster than Peppa.

Same diet (almost to the exact insect and bit of green and veg ), conclusion is Peppa has a slower metabolic rate in general than Toothless (who processes his food faster with more wastage, whereas Peppa tends to process her food slower and it seems to become more Peppa (she has grown faster and larger).

Interesting , I find myself wondering if this is a consequence of Peppa being female while Toothless is male and much more "highly sprung" and "energetic".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom