Winston Ate a coin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic768

Hi Everybody
I just brought Winston home from the vet, he is 9 months, 476 grams, after he ate a coin (either a penny or a dime)
The vet referred me to another vet who will either have a scope small enough to extract the coin or the surgeon skilled enough to remove it surgically, i have an appointment tomorrow morning
Does anybody else have any experience with this?
what am i in for as far as recovery and costs?
also i just need some support, im kinda freaked out and scared right now

spyder79

Extreme Poster
i remember a thread a few years back on here where someone's dragon ate a penny. they ended up having to have surgery done to have the coin removed. I can not seem to find the thread though. it may be gone or maybe one of the mods can pull it. good luck to you

Lunatic768

Original Poster
The scope plan failed, and Winston is in surgery right now
thank you both for your answers
Nobody has any more info? nobody has every had a beardie eat something and/or need abdominal surgery?
i dont even know if lizards scar.....

Lunatic768

Original Poster
Winston is out of surgery
hes all closed up and they got the penny out
they will keep him at the vet overnight in order to make sure he comes of the anesthesia properly
and they want to make sure he makes a normal poop, then he'll be coming back home :)
i'm relieved but still really nervous

Lunatic768

Original Poster
Hi Guys
I'm picking up Winston today, and the vet wants to see im again in 5 days or so
The Vet is going to show me how to syringe feed him. I'm super nervous about that.....

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
you'll be fine. just be patient and persistant. i felt bad when i had to seringe feed my baby, but after two or three times you get used to it...

Lunatic768

Original Poster
He actually started to regurgitate his food, so i didnt pick him up today
Tho i almost am at the point where i think if i bring him home he'd be less stressed and better off all around....
god this is nerve-racking
and expensive...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
gosh, I'm sorry. I was hoping he'd be better. I agree with you, part of his problem is the fact that he's not with you. I really hope he gets better soon.

Lunatic768

Original Poster
Hi all
New update
Winston aspirated some of his vomit, and now he has pneumonia
They've switched him to a different antibiotic to cover for both post op and the pneumonia
They've also decided to stop feeding him for awhile in order to take some of the stress off his GI tract, and because we can't take take the chance of him aspirating any more vomit
Despite all this, the vet said he is still "feisty" and relatively active, which is a good sign. He is young (9 months) but strong and big (490 grams just after he ate the penny)
But i really believe that if he was suppose to die he would have done it awhile ago
He is my lizard and i'm gonna have him for a bunch more years
I'm going to go see him tomorrow
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom