The adventures of Daisy, Loki, Rocket, and Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a thread all about Cisco, Thor, Daisy, and Gizmo. I'll try to post lots of updates on my beardies (and my gecko too) View media item 60434 Cisco enjoyed the sun yesterday. :D Also today is my one year anniversary with Cisco! :blob5: and Cisco was my first beardie so it's also my one year of keeping reptiles too!! :blob5:

More pictures coming soon.

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lol, It's just part of their charm I guess. :) All three of mine love cuddles. Daisy is the only exception. She always wants down to go and explore.

Daisy believes that she should always be out of her cage and should always be able to explore. Her previous owners had three indoor cats and a dog. and The cats would always hang out near Daisy's cage so she was never out. So I understand how she felt. :| Those owners had some serious husbandry issues. The basking spot was 75F, She was fed lettuce and canned crickets, and She was on calci-sand. Her feet are still pink from that. :banghead:

Now my beardies free roam for most of the day (one at a time of course) until they have to go back in their cages and bask for a bit.

and I think Cisco's starting to forgive me for the bow (It only took like ten supers and a few strawberries). :roll:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Today Thor escaped. I was letting him out to free roam a bit, and I Then lost sight of him, I frantically searched everywhere Hoping to find him. I Did, He was happily sitting underneath my bookshelf. :roll: View media item 60835 View media item 60769 He was there, all the time. Happy as a clam. :) Who knew he could get under there. :|

When he saw me he starts to happily slithering over to me, rests his head on my leg, and falls asleep. ❤️ It's hard to stay mad at them even when they escape. ❤️

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's crazy what tight spaces they can squeeze into sometimes =). Glad he was found quickly though. After a while they tend to have favorite spots so a quick check of their usuals will reveal them 90% of the time.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
As crippled up as he is from MBD, it's wonderful that he can even get around well enough to escape. :blob5: On the other hand, best to keep an eye on him when he's out and about -- even both eyes, whenever you can spare them. :wink:

I like your "Don't give up until they do" motto -- a good way to make the hard decisions if the time ever comes...

That picture of him wrapped up in his favorite blanket (on the last page of this thread) is just toooo cute. :love10: And BTW, the blankie looks crocheted and I think I even recognize the type of yarn and the color scheme -- it's one of my favorites and I've made a few things out of that stuff myself.

Our beardie isn't too particular about which "tortillas" I use to make the "beardie burrito" -- in fact, he'll even go to sleep without it once I turn the lights off. But it does make it easier to put him back in his tank and tuck him in for the night after his bedtime cuddle -- without necessarily waking him all the way back up again -- if I have him wrapped up in a towel. We bought several 6-packs of hand towels at Costco, and we use them both for his bath towels and for blankets.

Better not try the bow with Cisco again -- too expensive to get forgiven. That's a lot of superworms :wink: But it sounds like Thor has figured out that he can get his human slave to forgive him for a good scare if he's cuddly enough. :love5:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lol, Yes. Thor goes everywhere when he's out and about. Thankfully I have figured out most of my beardies favorite places in my room, Cisco: underneath the stand for Thor and Daisy's cages and In my baskets of clean laundry, Thor's favorite place is underneath my bookshelf, and Daisy's favorite place is under my bed or in the trash can. :roll:

SHbailey, You're correct. It was crocheted by my aunt. :) Thor's inseparable with that blanket. :) The "I don't give up until they do" is also Sarah from Sarah's bearded dragon rescue's motto. That's where I got it. I'm planning to start a rescue for beardies later on. The success stories are so heartwarming. :love5:

I Do agree to not put the bow on Cisco anymore. Anytime she sees it she hisses at it and tries to poo on it. :shock: Daisy on the other hand seemed to enjoy it. Lol, They have such different personalities. :)

HippieLizards":11a3gar7 said:
View media item 60713 View media item 61112 View media item 60940 View media item 60926 View media item 60816 Thor was trying his best to look manly for Cisco. :roll: View media item 60371 View media item 60788 View media item 61064 View media item 60358 View media item 61045 Cisco was basking like a queen until one of the suction cups on the hammock broke while she was on it. :eek: She's fine right now.

View media item 60923 View media item 60715 View media item 60376 View media item 60811 View media item 61134 This was how Daisy and Thor slept last night. :roll: All night long. For Thor I did move him just because it was killing my neck just watching him sleep like that. He then woke up, gave me the stink eye and went back to the same position and fell back asleep. :lol: I Guess it's comfy for them. LOL.
Where did you get that hammock from/whats it called?? I sewed one for my baby beardy Squirt (who is sleeping next to me on my laptop currently :p ) and he is going to outgrow it soon!!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Just a couple of words of caution that I hate to mention...

I hadn't noticed the green mesh hammock in the photos, but now that I think of it, I have heard some rumors that beardies can snag their claws in the mesh and get injured (although HippieLizards' beardies don't seem to seem to be having a problem with it). There are also other types of hammocks available -- I have seen some that appear to be made of sisal rope (the same stuff that makes good scratching posts for cats), and others made of various types of cloth or fleece that may be safer as long as your beardies don't try to eat it. :wink:

Also, if you're thinking of starting a rescue, remember that while success stories can be heartwarming :love5: , failures can also be heartbreaking :cry: . It's wonderful that you want to help beardies that need good homes and good care, but I would only say that you should be sure that you have sufficient time, energy, resources, and help available before you start taking them in, especially if they need to be nursed back to health, because once people find out that there's a place for them to dump reptiles that they no longer want, you can quickly become overwhelmed. The rescue where we got our beardie 5 years ago has since had to shut down, one of the reasons being that the local news station did a little special on them, and instead of getting more donations of much needed money and volunteer help like she hoped, the lady who ran it got maxed out with unwanted reptiles, and when people told her that if she wouldn't take them, they'd just dump them in the snow or kill them in some other inhumane way, she didn't have the heart to turn them away even though she already had more than she could handle.

I googled Sarah -- is it the one in Utah? If so, she happens to have a blog post up there right now with a horror story about a good(? if it ever was) rescue gone bad.

So if you don't mind a little advice, if you do decide to do a rescue, start slow and learn your limits early on. You're better off to provide the best possible care you can for just a few, rather than spread yourself too thin providing less than ideal care for too many. It sounds like you may already have your hands pretty full with Thor and company, unless you can foresee having more time and energy and help sometime in the future. But best wishes and more power to you if you can make it work well. :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
PS Brittany26 -- If the little hammock you sewed for Squirt has been working for him, could you maybe just make him a larger one out of the same stuff for when he gets bigger?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yes, I am aware of what I would need to do, start out slow, make sure you have a good vet, have a lot of money saved up, and do your research. So I'm still studying about it and I'm still planning to do so much, much later on. :study: :study: :study: I Might just volunteer at a good rescue later on instead.

I Have heard of that "rescue" and Unfortunately my area has a once good rescue gone wrong as well. :x It's where I got Thor. They had neglected him and didn't care for him at all. :(

Brittany 26, I got the hammock off of amazon. It's by zoo med. It's a zoo-med repti-hammock. Thor's blanket originally was meant to be a hammock for him but he had other plans. :roll:

Also, I have fixed Cisco's hammock and she is happily basking on it.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, you're way ahead of me already -- I didn't even mention having a good vet lined up, research, savings and all. Volunteering at a rescue would give you some good experience and a better idea of what to expect if and when you decide to do it yourself (or even if you really want to). I wish I could have volunteered at the one that was here, but I never had enough energy or time.

Thor is lucky you found him when you did. :D

And that explains the shape of Thor's favorite blankie/hammock. I thought maybe it looked like it was originally designed to be something else. :wink:

They definitely have their own ideas about things. Some people say it's a dog in a lizard's body, but I think most beardies are more like cats in lizard's bodies. :mrgreen:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lol, Yes, I think a lot of the time that my beardies Cisco especially are just scaly cats. :) Cisco has a very close personality to a cat. She even twitches her tail when she's hunting or irritated Just like cats!

If she is irritated by another dragon or something else the first sign is the tail twitching and she does a bit of a smile, Then she lunges at the irritating object at full force and attacks it. :eek: It's very interesting to watch her do her "death smile" and twitch her tail when she's bothered. :) Her main irritant is my socks for some reason. :? Especially if my feet are in it!! :shock: I may have had my toes attacked once or twice. It's not very pleasant to have it happen. :shock:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey,

Haha my boy does the same with windows.
I try to take him down to warm up and he tries to find anything to hold onto. There's nothing to hold onto for him it's unfortunate. Once in the tank, he's pouting.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lol, sounds like my beardies. Thor always just pouts in his cage if I cut back on his free roaming and have to put him up he will go into a cold corner and just look very sad. :roll: Then if I do give into his little guilt trip he will go and hide under my bookshelf and wedge himself in it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom