Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Fingers crossed all our beardies live to a ripe old age! And I'm determined, no more females in my house. Except for Cierra, it will be all male territory.

brandymulvaine

Hatchling Member
Hi Deb! I've been slowly reading through you thread, I'm on page 201 so far. Have you ever thought of turning it into a book? With pictures of course! Beardies are like potato chips, you can't have just one! :blob8: :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Wow, Brandy, I'm amazed and flattered at how much you've read. I'm going to be sending my stories of my rescues to a friend (with pictures) who's going to be writing her 3rd rescue book in the fall. If she gets enough stores to put it together I'll send you the link.

I also wanted to ask if you have a thread on here and if you do, please send me your link. I'd love to read it!

brandymulvaine

Hatchling Member
A book would be so cool! That way I could show my friends that there are other people like me who's lizard pictures outnumber their kid pictures! :lol: No thread of my own yet, summers here are always hell bent for leather!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Because Puff loved water so much, I thought it'd be fitting to have her sit in a serene stream while waiting for her turn to go into the light.

8482-9952447619.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Aww, Gina, that brought tears to my eyes and you're right, she did love to be in water. Such a fitting tribute to my beautiful Puff. Thank you so much, sweet lady, you always know how to reach into my heart. Big HUGS.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, I weighed and measured the twins and I think Cierra is gaining on Nathaniel in length. She's 17" long now and 340g and did a big poop yesterday afternoon (I'll be taking in a poop to the vet on the 6th when I pay the rest of the bill, it was a bit stinky)

Nathaniel is 17 3'4" long and 396g, he's getting bigger every day. Looks so different than the day I brought him home :D

Gabriel has gained a bit he's 542 and Leo is 546, still within good weight.

And they're all either starting sheds, sheds almost coming off or have shed, it's continuous.
Nathaniel is shedding his head and 1/2 of his body, plus tail.
Gabriel got alot of shed off, but still has some of his body and tail to go.
Leo is starting up, most of his beard, 1/2 of his head & his tail & back legs.
Cierra is starting her head, nowhere else for now & no sign of eggs yet either, so that's good.
She ate a bunch of crickets last night (first time in weeks), she ate about 15 supers this am, then topped that off with a few roaches. She eats her greens, too, so does Nathaniel, but out of bowls, yeah.
Leo and Gabriel still get fed, so have to keep track of their food so they don't gain too much weight, they both eat roaches now.

So all in all, they're all doing well. I'm off to my folks for my dad's 88th birthday lunch. We're celebrating separately from the big birthday party next Sunday (he'll still be included in that, too) but as my mom said *You don't turn 88 every day!!!"

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You are very welcome, Deb. Sorry it took so long. I couldn't decide on what type of background to use.

The twins sure are growing up and out. It's wonderful that they're doing so well under your care.

Great weights on everyone!

Have a great dinner with your parents.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Gina, a friend of mine who doesn't even like lizards copied it to her Facebook, was so glad to see that, so your poem is going to alot of different places. It's such a beautiful poem, moved me to tears. I sure miss my Puff girl...

I'm very pleased with the twins, they're doing really well. Cierra ate a bunch of worms again this morning, then she ate a bunch of roaches, then this afternoon she ate all her greens, then a few more roaches to top off the salad. I checked her & can't feel any bumps, so hoping it will be awhile before there are any more eggs...

Nathaniel is getting so big, almost a full sized dragon now. I think he's a partial leatherback, his scale are small and so smooth. He's getting more yellow all the time.

Gabriel is starting to get a big tummy, guess it's time to cut back on the amount of bugs he's getting all week. I think he'll get 10 large roaches (almost adult) a week, 5 twice a week, greens every other day, see if he slims down a bit. He gains weight quickly, just like Leo.

Leo's gaining, too, so he gets 10 smaller roaches a week, otherwise greens and once a week red pepper which he just loves.

I'm really glad they're all doing well, especially Leo, as he's 8 yrs old now. Need to keep him healthy. He still doesn't like to come out of his tank, but he moves around and climbs all over his logs all day, so that's good to see.

We had a great lunch, my brother Dave and family couldn't be there, but my nieces were. After lunch and carrot cake (my mom made, I had a very small piece, but it was delicious!) Gail, Emily, Carly and I played a game of Upwards (like Scrabble but you built works on top of each other, it's alot of fun). So that took up alot of the afternoon, and we all left soon afterwards. Mom is still very tired, has a CT scan this week. Her blood tests were fine, but I'm hoping she'll start taking a multi-vitamin, it'll help her out. Said she seems to spend all day making meals for her and dad, laundry, etc, and that seems to be just as much as she can handle. Hope she's better soon...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I like the poem, Gina.

Glad Cierra has no more eggs. Also glad she is gaining too.
Wow caught up to Nathan huh? Opps Nathaniel LOL silly phone.

Glad you had fun with your family and 88 wow!

brandymulvaine

Hatchling Member
Hi Deb! I'm on page 237 already! Almost half way there, it makes me sad to realize that the dragons that I've come to love are really gone :cry: I get so sad when someone else looses one of their dragons I'll be a wreck when it's my turn :cry: :cry:. I sent you a message on FB, tried to send you a friend request but there wasn't a button :banghead: Well back to 2013!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I don't know why some people can friend request me on Facebook & others can't. Just send me your name on Facebook and I'll friend request you, k? Just send me a message on FB or a PM on here.

And yes, I've lost alot of dragons since 2010 and had others brought into my life. Only Leo is left from that time in my life. But I always seem to find another dragon to love when the time is right. I firmly believe that my babies across the Rainbow Bridge send me another when I have the room. It lightens my heart a bit.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Esther, so far so good with the rest of my crew, they're all doing well, it's just hard to see an empty tank, but I'm starting to heal a bit more every day. I sure do miss my Puff girl, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom