help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned on all of my 7 year old beardies lights yesterday morning to bring her out of burmentation. She was in for about 2 and 1/2 months which is how long she always goes, but after about 36 hours her breathing is only about 2 breaths per minute, and she is very lethargic. She will not move or even open her eyes which she keeps bulging out. She has never done this in the past. Any suggestions or an idea of what is going with her? My other dragon went in and came out at the same time and has no problems. The warm end is around 110 and the cool end I have at 90 after seeing no improvement from her. :?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi.
I am sorry that your beardie is not doing well. I dont know what to tell you of what may be wrong, but you may want to try a warm bath in case any dehydration is involved. Just make sure if she is weak that you support her head up out of the water.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's very possible that she is dehydrated, have you been bathing her? What UVB light are you using, how old is the bulb and how close can she get to it? Could you post a picture of the setup? How long has it been since she's eaten anything?

luvsmybeardies

Original Poster
she is in a converted display case ( digital cam is messed up). I placed her on her basking spot 4 hours ago and still nothing. She has the repti sun desert (i think it said desert) 10.0. She is about 18 inches from it and the basking light. I tried a warm bath 3 times and did have to hold her head up each time and still nothing. I am very worried about her as she has never had a problem before now. She has not eaten since she went into burmentation. BTW the cage is a 4 wide by 4 long and 24 inches deep

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the UVB a coil, compact or strip fluorescent bulb? Have you tried handfeeding her anything? Do you have any babyfood on hand? What are the basking and cool side temps? What type of thermometer are you using? Is the basking bulb a colored or white bulb?

luvsmybeardies

Original Poster
Cool end is at about 88-90, basking is 115, substrate checks at 111. The bulb is florscent, I have a zoo med round in tank thermometer and also use a surface temp gum. The basking bulb is white bulb. I haven't tried feeding her because of the extremely heavy and hard breaths she is taking( it reminds me of chain stoking in humans)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which thermometer have you been using to check the temps? The basking spot is too high at 115 and the cool side is a little too hot at 88 to 90. What wattage basking bulb(s) are you using? Had you been bathing her during brumation? Did she have a poop before she went into brumation?

The UVB is a strip fluorescent Repti-Sun 10.0, are you sure? If it is 18" from her, she isn't getting any benefit from it at all.

luvsmybeardies

Original Poster
I am pretty sure it is a 10.0, how close do I need to move her to it? The basking bulb is a 75 watt, it was what was recommended due to cage size. Her set up has always been like this. I was under the impression they could do quite well at 130. I moved the cool end light into the tank to help after she did not improve today. She is not gaping at all. I checked the temps with the surface gun, may need to calibrate? would there be 5 degrees difference? the round thermometer is on the substrate.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The info about the UVB is stamped right on the side of the bulb. Are you sure it isn't a Repti-glo 10.0?

If your tank is 48" long x 48" wide by 24" high and you're only using a 75 watt basking bulb and your temps are that high, something doesn't seem right. :? What is the brand of the basking bulb and are you using any other bulb besides the basking and UVB?

Can you answer these questions, very important:
diamc":14842 said:
Had you been bathing her during brumation? Did she have a poop before she went into brumation?

luvsmybeardies

Original Poster
it four foot by four foot and 24 inches high. there are 2 bulbs, 1 at the end and 1 in the middle, sorry freaking out over her behavior, the one in the middle is a 50 and the one in the basking end is a 75. The uvb says reptisun 10.0 high output uvb.

luvsmybeardies

Original Poster
it four foot by four foot and 24 inches high. there are 2 bulbs, 1 at the end and 1 in the middle, sorry freaking out over her behavior, the one in the middle is a 50 and the one in the basking end is a 75. The uvb says reptisun 10.0 high output uvb. No, i have never bathed her during burmentation was told it would wake her up b4 she was ready and yes she had a nice healthy poop nothing abnormal about it

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You actually are supposed to bathe them during brumation to prevent dehyration. You mentioned that you bathed her 3 times today, when you did that was her vent area (where she poos) right down in the warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes? If not, that's what you need to do to properly hydrate her. What is her coloring like and how is she acting now? Are her eyes open?

You need to have a basking side and a cool side, it sounds like you don't right now. The basking side shouldn't be any hotter than 110 and the cool side no hotter than 85 with 80 being ideal. The fluorescent UVB should be next to the basking light so that she can get both benefits at the same time when she is basking. You might need to use a lower wattage basking bulb on the cool side to get the 80 degree temp. Did you say that the basking bulb is 18" from her when she is basking and right there you have a temp of 115 tested with the temperature gun?

Do you have any babyfood on hand, if so, what do you have? Had you been offering her drinks of water when she was brumating?

If those dimensions are right, it's about a 230 gallon tank.

luvsmybeardies

Original Poster
where I put her all the lights are 18 inches from her. I did use the gun and pointed it right next to her, But would there be a 5 degree temp difference between there and 6 inches lower to the round thermometer? I may need to calibrate the gun. I had her in the water for about 30 minutes each time and her butt was in water the whole time. Her eyes are closed not bulging now though, and her coloris darker than normal. she is usually a light tan but she is brown now.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does she have a basking log in her tank? As I mentioned the UVB needs to be right alongside the basking bulb, is that where you have it? The UVB needs to be 6 to 8" from her or she won't be getting any benefit from her at all. How many inches long is the UVB hood?

The round thermometer is absolutely useless, temperature from that can be 20 degrees off or even more. Have you replaced the batteries in the temp gun lately? If not, you should do that and get another reading. Is she laying on the basking area now? Do you have any babyfood on hand? You need to get something in her right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom