Our beardie is not well

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaK

Last night I noticed our beardie was laying on the ground on her cold side of the tank not moving. I picked her up and she was cold and stiff but breathing with her mouth open. I put her on the warm side of her tank on the ground. (there is a heating pad on the underside of the glass there). When I got up this morning I checked on her and she was still stiff and cold and her mouth was full of her bedding. I irrigated it out of her mouth and she seemed a bit more responsive. I put her on her climbing limb and when I checked on her a few minutes later she was hanging on by her front legs. I picked her up and she wasn't as stiff as before so I put her back on her limb (the wider part) and moved her basking lamp over her. Any ideas as to what could be wrong with her or anything that I can do for her?

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
Could you answer the following questions for us?

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?

AmandaK

Original Poster
She is a little over 4 months old and 9 1/2 inches long. We have had her for about 2 months. She is in a 20 L gallon aquarium. I can't remember the name of the bedding ( I am at work) but it looks like tiny wood shavings maybe? The package said that it was fine for Bearded Dragons. She has a basking light that she can get within about 4-6 inches from. Her warm side of the tank is about 100 degrees and the cool side is 75-80 degrees. I don't have a heat rock or pad in the tank but on the underside of the glass I have a stick on heating pad ( I can't remember what it is called) She has never ate any vegetables or fruits but I recently got her to try some baby food peaches which she ate a tiny amount. She eats crickets dusted with reptive that are gut loaded and meal worms. She will eat about 5-6 meal worms and 5 medium crickets a day. She has regular BM's usually every day or every other day. I bathe her 1-2 times a week. I hope this information helps. Thanks

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
The wood shaving bedding is NO good especially if you feed her in her viv. She might be eating it and it can cause impaction & death. I would get rid of that immediately and replace with paper towels until you can get something else (tile, shelf liner, reptile carpet found in most pet stores).

What type of light are you using, is it a UVB? What brand? What wattage? They need the UVB bulb.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html
This would be good because you can't use a mercury vapor bulb with that size cage, you need at least a 40gal breeder for a MVB. Also what are you measuring the temps with? The sticker ones and the round dial ones can be way off. You can get a cheap digital probe one from walmart for like 12$.

Here is a website that gives you a list of good food sources. She should be offered salad everyday even though it might take a while for her to start eating it. She should be eating mainly protein which will decrease as she gets older and the salad consumption will increase. Mealworms are generally not recommended as they can cause impaction. Also you should make sure the crickets are no larger than the space between her eyes otherwise she could be having a hard time digesting them.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

When the last time she pooped? Was it formed or liquidy? If she is not pooing you can bath her 2-3xs a day.

Are you using calcium & multivitamin supplements? What brand? How often? She should be getting her crickets dusted once a day for 5 days with calcium (phosphorus free with D3) like this...http://www.beardeddragon.org/reviews/product.php?id=25
And a multivitamin once a day for 1-2 days per week like this one http://www.beardeddragon.org/reviews/product.php?id=26

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using a bright white light for the basking area? Or is it a colored light?
As suggested, a stick on thermometer is not accurate at measuring the basking temps. It primarily measures the ambient temps or the glass temperatures. You will need to get either a digital probe or a temp gun for better accuracy.
You mentioned you are using a heating pad on the basking portion/side of the tank, is that correct? If so, she could be getting too hot with heat coming from underneath & overhead. They do much better with heating & lighting from overhead.
Also, better substrate choices are non adhesive shelf liner, tiles, butcher's paper, or paper towels, if you don't want to use reptile carpet. Steer away from loose substrates, they can cause too many problems with impactions.

How do her urates look, are they hard or soft, white or off colored?
Are her eyes bright or are they sunken in at all?
Has her beard been darkened lately?

Tracie

AmandaK

Original Poster
I think that she is impacted. Her belly is extremely bloated and her back legs are not moving and are limp. I have given her 2 baths and massaged her belly. Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
I've read here that you can give a couple drops of olive oil. There are some other things too but you might have to wait for tracie or one of the moderators to help you out too.

When was the last time she pooped?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is a possibility of impaction due to the wood shavings, yes. If you feel strongly that she is, then you need to begin treatment for impaction.
Start with soft foods such as sugar free applesauce, sugar free pumpkin, & squash babyfood, with a couple of drops of olive or mineral oil in it. Use a plastic syringe to get the food into her. Continue to bathe her. Massage her belly underneath the arm all of the way down to the vent, on the right side. Try to increase her oral fluids, as well.
Was there any traces of woodchips in her stool? Any blood?

Tracie

AmandaK

Original Poster
I am replying for AmandaK , this is her husband .
She has been bathed and massaged twice this day and given some water . Still she is the same . She is obviously hungry , she crawled to the meal worms on the far side of the tank and ate them . We have paper towels down . It is late in the evening now she is sleeping . In the morning we're going to try the baby food and get some more water in her . Her bowel movements have all looked the same as always , not anything noticably out of the ordinary . When I first aquired my ball python years ago she had trouble from the previous owner and was severely constipated , but nothing like this . I feel really bad for her . I am quite fond of her and hate to see her suffer !!!
Thank you for all of your ideas , I hope she makes it through this !!!

AmandaK

Original Poster
PS . Her eyes look fine and her beard is normal . As for urates ? I am not sure what you mean . Everything looks fine , minus what has been mentioned .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom