My bearded dragon // MBD // What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
to begin I'm not here to be bashed.. If you can't help please don't reply..

So, Hi! I got a Bearded dragon in December 2016. He was four years old approx.
He was very inactive when I first got him, he would be constantly in his little cave/hide.
However, we did bring him out of his shell and now he hates being in his cave/hide.
His owner fed him on just superworms and mealworms. I knew this wasn't a good diet for his age, however he just wouldn't eat anything else.. So, I cut out the mealworms, and just fed him superworms with calcium ontop. He would only eat around fifteen every two weeks (one feeding time.)
I would offer on other days but he'd just close his eyes.
We got him a fecal test in November 2017 (he was trying to brumate) and he had no parasites. I was still a tad concerned. I voiced my concerns to the vet and he didn't seem to interested, so I just shrugged it off.

This year, I've stopped superworms completely. He is offered different vegetables (sometimes fruit) often. So far, I know he likes apples, plums, and his veg he isn't as keen on. He doesn't eat alot, maybe 3 or 4 pieces every 2 weeks at most. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Another thing, I forgot to mention was sometimes, by his pores (you know, the side of their tail by the pores) will twitch, and so will one of his legs, but it doesn't happen very often. I also found this happened with the superworms but it would twitch on his beard. The twitching hasn't became anything more, infact probably a little less. I read online about twitching, but it always seems their beardie twitches alot more. Spikes is probably once a week, probably less.

So, my question is; how do I get Spike to eat more? What's this twitching about?

Other things to consider..
Spike is now 5, almost six years old.
his basking spot is around 38-40
His cage is 4 foot x 2 foot.
His UVB is: Arcadia T8 30W 36'' LAMP
He didn't have parasites in the test.

I am going to be registering with a new exotic vet soon, I just want to know peoples ideas please.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of Spike and also of his tank ? :) He does need to eat more but it doesn't sound like he has MBD really, maybe some type of nutritional deficiency but a few twitches doesn't mean anything really. Have you tried feeding him crickets or hoppers ? Are you in the U.K. ?

So how old is the Arcadia bulb and how close is it to his basking spot ? You might want to upgrade to a t5 , esp. if the basking spot is more than 10 inches from the bulb. Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

ilovemyspikey

Original Poster
Hi, i'll take pics etc tomorrow.

His cage isn't very pretty though, beware lol! i was going to transfer him to a new cage once his bulb was 6 months old. but if you're telling me he needs a different light i'd rather know

its 3 months currently almost 4.

i haven't measured exactly, i will in the morning but it's certainly closer than 10 inches.

Hoppers.. those locusts? yes i fed locusts, he doesn't like them as much as the others..

crickets no, the shop closest to us only sold tiny ones.

i was thinking of maybe trying dubia roaches in future if that would help him.

thanks for reassuring me a bit about the mbd

ilovemyspikey

Original Poster
full

full

full

full

Sorry his cage isn't exactly attractive. His uvb strip light is closer than 10 inches to his basking spot. The weird thing is he isn't exactly inactive, he does wake up and plod about his cage a bit, but not as much as others do but I guess that *could* be age related.

Could I try some vitamin supplemets.. I am also in the uk, yes..
If so, would this be any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vetark-NUTROBAL-Reptile-Vitamin-Calcium-Supplement-All-Sizes/121158435514?epid=1323176083&hash=item1c359b02ba:m

Of course i wanna get this sorted before i transfer him to his new cage. :( Thanks for help :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the UVB tube light would be much better in performance if you had it in a light
fixture with a reflective backing on it. This just helps direct the light downward, more
towards your boy so he can get a better UVB exposure. The Arcadia D3 12% is a great bulb,
so nothing wrong with that brand. I have been using Arcadia for years now. When you get
a chance, upgrading to their T5 high output tube is a terrific bulb & might help him out.
The Nutrabol supplements are pretty good & have always seemed to have nice reviews also.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

ilovemyspikey

Original Poster
Could anyone link me to one with a reflector so I know what you're talking about?
I am going to be purchasing him a new vivarium so would like to make sure i get a reflector this time
thankyou:)

ilovemyspikey

Original Poster
Never mind, didnt see the links.

Can I use a t8 reflector with a t5?

So, you both are suggesting I get a reflector and a t5 light?

I also ordered Arcadia vitamins which are said to increase colouration, feeding response etc etc which sounds good right now but also I'd like to make sure his uvb is good for him too! :)

i looked up t5 reflectors and i can't seem to find any or i find really expensive ones.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Actuall your set up is quite nice, no reason to apologize about it. :) Nice basking logs + rocks for him in there. You might take out one of the rock structures to give him more floor space though. If he doesn't bask up there it may be too hot . If your uvb bulb is closer than 10 inches he is getting enough uvb. How do you measure his basking temps. ? If it's too hot or too cold, either could cause him to hide. Also, is it just the picture that makes it look like part of the tank is dark ? Whenever they have a dimly lit tank it can definitely cause more sleepiness/hiding. And when did he come out of brumation ?

ilovemyspikey

Original Poster
He never went into brumation.
We had parasite tests and everything, vet checks etc but he just didn't go into it.
Yeah, it looks dark when I took a picture of the ceiling because I turned the lights off for like a second, then turned them straight back on. The other side looks darker because for one. there were 2 glass vivarium doors in the way and for 2 it's the way i took the picture. it's the same lighting around the whole cage. i can take out the pillow thing? i sometimes put a thermometer in there to check temps, sometimes i take it out because he pushes it over.

i was also thinking of getting him a new thermostat just incase it is to hot?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, O.K.....you said he was trying to brumate in 2017. So you put like a household thermometer in there, the little ones that you'd hang on a wall ? If so you're very possibly getting inaccurate readings. Most people use a temp. gun or a digital thermometer with a probe. The probe can be placed in any part of the tank [ and left in the spot for 20 minutes ] to get readings all over the tank. They are not expensive and can be much more accurate. Also, how many watts is your heat bulb ?

BTW, how do you hydrate him ? Be sure to offer water dripped on his snout , slowly until he begins to drink. Drip, stop, repeat. He may be dehydrated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know about the thermostat but the thermometer with probe should be fine. Check the reviews on it. And I think maybe a 100 watt bulb in a wooden enclosure might be getting it too hot but you'll find out after you get the thermometer. It's good that he drinks in the bath then, he'll stay hydrated that way. :)

Since he's not eating much, try making a smoothie out of good greens like rocket, bok choy and endive or escarole. I know you don't have the same veg. we have here in the U.S. Add some squash , green beans and some strawberries and a bit of raw honey along with a pinch of calcium powder. See if he like that, it can supplement him while he's not eating much. Oh, and fruit is not really good so cut out the apples + other kind and just offer greens.

Keep in mind that adult dragons will go off food for periods of time naturally, and since he didn't actualy brumate he may just be going through this phase instead of brumation. It's usually not harmful and they can just start eating again out of the blue. A well fed adult with good weight is not in danger if they go without food for long periods of time .

ilovemyspikey

Original Poster
not to sound like a know it all haha but this has been happening since i got him (even when his previous owner came to my house and set up his viv for me). so 2 year phase? :/
and i only fed him apple so he'd eat something and it was the only thing we had.
i'm not going to buy greens for him if he won't eat it because i've tried it before.
same with the smoothies, i used to do smoothies but he won't eat them, im a student and i don't really have the time to sit with him for 2 hours trying to force feed him; resulting in us both getting stressed out.

what temperature should i aim for when the thermometer arrives?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, I thought he was eating 15 superworms every 2 weeks up until a couple months ago. That would be similar to an adult diet since they don't need a lot of food as adults. You can offer superworms again if that's what he prefers. BTW, can you post full body pics of him ? Has he lost a lot of weight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom