Black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiepa

Original Poster
He is pooping good. He always had the run before the impaction. Now it is better. I am hoping his eating will resume in a week or so since I have put his UVB inside his viv. I don't know if he ever had UVB before cause he didn't come with one and I had all his stuff when I got him. Last time he w=saw the vet he was under weight. I wish I had a scale. Would a kitchen scale work for him?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You can get a scale at Walmart or any big store, I put a mixing bowl on mine, 0 it out and then get the weight in grams. A kitchen scale should work just as well.

As for the weight loss, if he's pooping fine, I'd be feeding him every day to get him to gain weight. And he will do better with the UVB in his tank but doesn't mean he'll want to eat on his own. You saw about mine LOL I still would feed him every day, though, every 2nd day won't give him the weight back he needs. Give that a try and see how he does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Kitchen scales work well. I use one. You need to use a bowl or shoebox top as mentioned and then tare the scale and take your measurement. Otherwise you won't get their whole body on the scale and the reading will be off.

jessiepa

Original Poster
I have a question. Is the hemepede plug supose to grow every month. Cause guess what is sticking out again. Another plug. Do I have to pay for a vet to get them removed every month cause that is going to cost a lot cause last time he got them removed was feb15. Is there a way to remove them yourself? I was l looking for a tutorial and didn't find any :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jess, you don't need a vet at all. Just soak him in warm water for 10 minutes every day, grab it and gently rock it back + forth. It's O.K if it doesn't come out right away but should do so in a few days at the most. You can use a Q-tip to gently apply a bit of vaseline there to make it easier, too.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I always pulled out Lonzo's plus on my own, same way, in the bath, made it much easier. Hope it works, let us know. Some males have them constantly, others never have any.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your poor boy, some just have trouble with them while others don't have them at all.
They should work out eventually, one way or another. As suggested, soaking him should help a lot.
Sometimes you can gently massage on the lower belly or on the base of the tail side where it is originating to help free it.

Tracie

jessiepa

Original Poster
Gave him a long bath to soften them up. I held him and my son gently pulled them out. Wow only a month ago he had it removed and there was a lot. He wasn't hissing or mad at us so I guess we did it right. Do I do that every month? My first dragon. I thought having a male was easier lol. He is still not eating on his own. I think once it warms up his eating will perk up. This dragon was never hand fed before I had him. It is getting easier. You's guys are awesome. Love this forum

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great they came out easily! Well, usually males are easier but he obviously has a higher hormone level.
We have had one who when he got a bit older, & just gently everted the area on each side to drain them but didn't have to do it all of the time. He didn't mind at all! LOL
Does he eat on his own yet or not? They will get used to being hand fed, too.

Tracie

jessiepa

Original Poster
The fist time the vet took them out. He was mad and black. This time it was nothing and his beard remained the wonderful Cheetos color that he has when he is happy. It was more traumatic for me than him. Lol no he is not eating on his own . Once he puts on a little weight I will stop feeding him a few days in hope he starts on his own. He had lost a lot. He was 700 Gr and now 610 last time he was weighed by the vet. I need to get a scale. I don't know if he lost more but he feels very light. Will look for a scale tomorrow

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have no idea how you get a dragon to eat on his own. I have 4 males that have nothing wrong with them, and I have to feed all of them as they just stopped eating on their own one day. My female eats on her own but not the males. I tried not feeding them, just leaving bugs/greens in their tanks and nothing, after a week I just gave up. I'd make sure he's back in good health before not feeding him, though, like you said, to make sure he's gained the weight he needs to. And I'm glad removing the sperm plus was no big deal for him. I only had one dragon that had those, I've never had to remove them from the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom