Is topsoil substrate really that safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teenbeardie

So I have seen alot of forums and discussions on using a topsoil and playsand mix together as substrate and I'm just confused how the topsoil is safe considering how it has rocks and wood chips in it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure if it is being used as a substrate - I know its used for Lay boxes for females laying eggs but not as a substrate - especially for babies since they lick everything and would eat alot of it if being fed crickets etc on it --- the best substrate I think is either the textured non adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile --- easy to clean insects can get underneath and its cheap and babies can eat it
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've used topsoil/playsand off + on for years with no problems at all. Like Karrie said you'd be best off not having a baby on it but once they're past the mid size juvenile stage they are much tougher and as long as the temps. are right and everything there's not much cause for concern. Everyone has to make their own decision about this but I've never had a problem.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Everything has it's own risks. I think the key is to do what you feel is right for your dragon and you can't really go wrong :)

Like AHBD mentioned, it can be used. I used to use a similar mixture. I dont anymore simply for ease of cleaning, but I do sometimes miss the sand. I feel it does add a level of enrichment, but i also appreciate the benefits of solid substrate.

-Brandon

Teenbeardie

Original Poster
claudiusx":1xxe424h said:
Hi there,

Everything has it's own risks. I think the key is to do what you feel is right for your dragon and you can't really go wrong :)

Like AHBD mentioned, it can be used. I used to use a similar mixture. I dont anymore simply for ease of cleaning, but I do sometimes miss the sand. I feel it does add a level of enrichment, but i also appreciate the benefits of solid substrate.

-Brandon

So did you use the topsoil with the large rocks and woodchips or did you take them out? I spent 3 hours sifting topsoil today and my lizard is grown I'm just trying to find an inexpensive way to keep heat and moisture in since it's starting to get cold and dry where I live.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AHBD":1at3bgba said:
The topsoil I got didn't seem to have much of anything like that in it.
Agreed. Mine didn't have bark or rocks in it. And to be clear, in my enclosures I used just sand. The sand/soil mix was for digboxes/layboxes.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom