Opinions on bioactive habitats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of your personal opinions on these? I'm looking to make my beardie a bioactive habitat but I'm wondering what some of the biggest concerns or problems are with these

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have used this methods for about a year now and love it, I think a couple other folks on here do so as well. I would reccomend you join the Reptile and Amphobian Bioactive Setips group (RABS) on Facebook if you havn't. They have files explaining the concepts, setups and explain some of the myths that are around about it, overall they are pretty nice but read the files first ;) I have yet to read a post of someone dissatisfied after making the switch.

The benefits and enrichment it offers far outweigh the concerns for me. My biggest concerns/frustrations have been:
It's heavy - My enclosure has to weigh several hundred pounds total.
It's dirty - Of course, it's dirt :) but it's not gross. My enclosure only smells when the poop is fresh and there is nothing offensive growing in it.
Watering takes practice - I find a deeper substrate holds moisture better than a shallow one. I still over or underwater sometimes though.
Waterproofing - wood vivs will rot unless sealed well.
Cage size - a deep substrate layer takes up a bit of space so a nice big cage is really a plus.

I'm not sure if your little ones hand issue would be a problem, but I don't see why it would if his health and digestion is otherwise good.

NarcoticRain

Original Poster
Thank you for the information! and sorry for the late reply!

The group files and the people have been very helpful so far. I have yet to start the conversion over, but hopefully we will start is soon and see how my little one fares in his new environment.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
NarcoticRain":2jc0pk0h said:
Thank you for the information! and sorry for the late reply!

The group files and the people have been very helpful so far. I have yet to start the conversion over, but hopefully we will start is soon and see how my little one fares in his new environment.

I'd love to hear how it goes for you both if/when you make the switch :) You might be surprized by how well your little one takes to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom