Bioactive enclosure?

Blue_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blue
I'm planning on turning my beardies tank to a bioactive enclosure. Is this a good idea? Also, what is the best substrate to use? I heard that Bio Dude has some good substrates, but I'm sure there is a D.I.Y option as well. Any ideas?

Its a PVC tank I got from Zen Habitats, and its the 4x2x2(120 gallon). I would seal the edges, but I was told water can warp PVC.

Last edited:

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I'm planning on turning my beardies tank to a bioactive enclosure. Is this a good idea? Also, what is the best substrate to use? I heard that Bio Dude has some good substrates, but I'm sure there is a D.I.Y option as well. Any ideas?

Its a PVC tank I got from Zen Habitats, and its the 4x2x2(120 gallon). I would seal the edges, but I was told water can warp PVC.
I don't have any experience with Bioactive stuff, so I won't offer an opinion as to whether or not it's a good idea. There seem to be lots of pros and cons and differing options on it.

I have seen that Zen Habitats sells a "Bio-Basin" made to fit thier enclosure. How well it holds up I dunno, but it might be worth looking into.

Looks like it is currently out of stock though. As is the case with thier mats I've been trying to get ahold of for a few weeks now :mad:

LianneHenry

Beardie name(s)
Henry
Hi! I went bioactive 6 months ago and it has been a real positive experience!

I used the Arcadia Arid Substrate, you will need at least 4 bags.

For the ‘clean up crew’ i just added isopods since springtails die easily in the dry conditions.

I added some plants, some of which were destroyed the same day by my bearded dragon. The most hardy plants are opuntia cactuses, dont add small plants they will get destructed. After 3 months I added the Arcadia jungle dawn led bar and my plants are growing like crazy after I installed this.

I store bought some branches and hollowed out tree trunks.

I love this setup, the pro’s are: no smell! And you just have to clean the glass and sometimes spot clean. Also my bearded dragon is doing great in this setup, he entertains himself looking at the isopods walking around. When I went on a holiday I just had to ask my neighbour to feed him and no cleaning was needed.

The con’s are: make sure your bearded dragon has no parasites! Do a stool sample before putting him in. The parasites could get our of control in a bioactive enclosure.

If you have any questions let me know! I would love to know more people who went bioactice and learn more about it.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom