I need help choosing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiDude

Hey there! I am new here as you may have seen in the introduction. I am 13 and my Mom might let me get a reptile/amphibian on spring break. So I need some help choosing one. I am a complete beginner owner. Thanks for the help!

-Sam

Beardies are great, and like to be handled. I'd go with one of them. Try to get one that's at least eight or nine inches, as they can be hard to take care of as babies. Just make sure you aren't just going for the "cute" factor, as they look slightly less cuddly as adults. Reptiles are harder than other animals, and need specific setups. For example, you must get a UVB light for your beardie - otherwise her bones will get all wonky from calcium deficiency. Plus, you can't house them together, even as babies. There are some horror stories on this site about what happens when two beardies have to live together: don't kid yourself; they're not social animals. Please do a lot of research on whatever reptile you decide on before buying one.

mike91383

Hatchling Member
I agree with saintgeorge. Don’t house bearded dragons together and do as much research as possible. If you need help choosing and aren't sure if you are going to handle your reptile all that much. Then there are other options besides bearded dragon that are just fun to like at. (Display reptile I guess you would say) Like the Horned Lizard, or Armadillo Lizard both desert reptile same type of set up as BD's without the large tank. These lizards aren't so High Maintains as with the BD's. They don’t eat greens. Just insects like cix, dubia(roaches), or other tpyes of worms. They don't get to be as big as BD's so if your looking for a big lizard they might not be your cup of tea. There are also Uromastyx witch I know little about care but have heard they make great pets like BD's do. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom