Queen Meraxes - 05/08/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I finally found Meraxes (Mera), I had been searching for quite some time for an adult dragon in need of a loving home, but then came the ad for an apparently 6 month old dragon. The ad made up my mind for me before I even saw her in person, as according to it she was a "super healthy 6 month old dragon, eats iceberg lettuce and mealworms, 9 inches long" and as we all know everything about that screams improper husbandry. Long story short, I contacted the seller for more information. She was an unwanted gift, actually around 3 months old, who was fed freeze dried adult crickets (rarely) among a host of other things that made me :evil: so of course I arranged to go get her that very day.

This is what she looked like that first day home
IMG_374141475734658_zps8155f7c4.jpg

I was absolutely smitten and worried to death all at the same time.

After a hard month, and a lot of TLC she looked like this
IMG_374154704463906_zpsb588a511.jpg

And now at around 10 months old (and finally out of semi brumation!)
IMG_374169981594033_zps21889c37.jpg

IMG_374175489162393_zpsd022d387.jpg

IMG_374180613918253_zps1b0415bb.jpg

IMG_173445388433345_zps3e867d0b.jpg

IMG_173425387731441_zps1cfb7842.jpg

:love5: :love5:
I can definitely say even with a massive amount of research, nothing prepares you for the amount of worry you experience in the baby stage, nor the amount of love you receive in return.

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Awe, thank you both! It means a lot :)
She's definitely made up for anything she lacked in the beginning, I had to start breeding supers just to keep up :lol:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
i'm glad I found this. I noticed in the first pic you shared that the look in her eye said "won't someone love me?" or something of that kind. I no longer see that look. She knows she's loved and that is, I believe, important to her. One of our first dragons, Miss O, required love. She was with us for one month when I figured that out. She knew she was loved. She had gotten scared by the sound of a school bus backing up one day when I was inside and my husband was just around the corner from her when he heard it. When it registered in his mind, he went running to where she was to find her no where. We looked for hours and didn't find her. What stands out in my mind is the look I saw in her eyes the next morning when we were leaving to take Miss Y to the vet and I saw her by the front door (no, she wasn't there the night before) looking up at me with such trust in her eyes. She knew we loved her and came back to us and her sister she and Miss Y were best friends and would talk to each other all the time.

I'm glad you have a bond with Meraxes like we do with our girls. It's like having dogs with out the noise, slobber and mess, I have enough of a mess in my house (will get to cleaning it up eventually) I don't need or have the space for a dog, tho I like them.

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your kind words, I think I'm the fortunate one for having found her.

Oh my goodness Miss O sounds like such a sweet soul, and very much like my Mera, it does seem to me that its very important to her to be loved. I've heard people saying that as reptiles they aren't "wired" for affection... I have trouble believing that after having Mera. I've struggled with anxiety my whole life, once not to long after bringing her home I was in the midst of a panic attack and I heard this completely abnormal amount of shuffling and scratching from her viv so of course I pulled it together to go check on her. There she was, desperately trying to escape (this has never happened before or since) giving me the most concerned expression. I scooped her up and she immediately scurried up my arm onto my shoulder, kissed my cheek, and snuggled into my neck. It was like she just knew that I needed her help to get out of my own head.

They are quite like cleanly little dogs, I like dogs as well but as you said I don't have the space either... that and Meraxes already has trouble accepting any other animal coming near me! :lol:

And because I can't help myself, a not so happy to be woken up Mera.
IMG_186401533703567-1.jpg

Cenetri

Mera is such a stunning dragon! It's always amazing to watch them transform from brand new rescues to loved family members, and watching them go from mistreated or malnourished to plump and cared for is the greatest feeling.

I know exactly what you are saying and agree that I believe reptiles can and do show affection. Before passing away, my old beardie Bonzai would always scratch at his tank to try and get to me for snuggles. Anytime I was upset, too, he would try to get out of his tank until I took him and he would do the same lick on my cheek as you described! It's hard to believe that people think they can't show love when that is clearly what it is!

I look forward to many more stories about her!

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I better not let her read this, she already spends at least 20 minutes of her free roam time admiring herself in the mirror :p

But thank you! It has been the greatest feeling watching her grow and thrive.

Its so nice to have others understand exactly what I mean! Even though I've become comfortable with my "crazy dragon lady" status 8) I just cannot understand how people can be so blind to the fact that they are amazing loving little creatures. I think its all about giving them the opportunity to show affection, and being open to the fact they can.

It sounds like Bonzai was an amazing little companion, I'm so sorry for your loss. And oliver! My goodness he is absolutely adorable!

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
While I was doing the laundry today someone decided to climb the pile and get too scared to climb back down....
IMG_201390793408151_zps49a1f911.jpg

IMG_201394772198433_zps807a97ee.jpg

Of course I helped her down immediately after taking pictures, and getting the stink eye for doing so :lol: but you can really see how BRIGHT she is in comparison.

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
:lol: while I definitely considered that possibility, she did make an attempt on her own, only to have a little tail whip fit and almost fall hahaha

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Absolutely! Shes become quite the fearless climber after realizing that I'm never more than an uncomfortable glance away :mrgreen:

Cat93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Has anyone else noticed their babies behavior change after coming out of their first brumation?

Like this plant in her viv, she never seemed to even notice it was there before, and she definitely didn't climb on it... Still a little baffled the one little suction cup managed to hold her weight :lol:
IMG_284553726208311_zpsb6971b0e.jpg

One thing that I hope never changes, her love of taking naps on mom while she tries to get stuff done. :wink:
IMG_284561764660460-1_zps1bcfca33.jpg

IMG_284565792706115_zps810c7805.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom