The spoiled sisters...(pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex and Jess! I wanted to keep a life thread of them, and to introduce them, cuz we are new :D not to beardies, or reptiles for that matter. Their real names are Alexandera and Jessica, and they are wonderful! Alex is the biggist of the two by being 17 inches long :lol: She's a fatty. Jess is only 9 inches long and still a baby :mrgreen: I dont have many pics, but here they are!
Crabby_Crazy
Alex!
Crabby_Crazy
Jess!
Sorry if the pics dont show up...i dont really know how to work this thing :)

Heisei

Hatchling Member
About the Dubias, they are SUPER easy. I got mine from Ian at The Roach Ranch (http://www.theroachranch.com/). Ian is a HUGE help. He'll answer any and all of your questions in a very, very timely and extremely helpful manner.

Anyway, as you will see on his site, you need a few things.
1. A SOLID COLOR, not clear, Rubbermaid type tub, preferably around 20 gallons.
2. Egg Crates
3. A heating pad
4. Water Crystals
5. Roach food. You can find all kinds of recipes for this. I use finely ground dry cat food, fish food, and some frosted flakes for sugar. They also really like citrus fruits (mine LOVE oranges), which should be offered a couple times a week.
6. Some mesh screen

This is really easy to set up. First cut about an 8in x 8in hole in the lid of the tub. Next secure the mesh screen over the hole via glue or Duct tape. Place a container of hydrated water crystals in the center of the bin. Arrange the egg crates vertically inside the bin on either side of the water crystals. Don't over crowd it with crates, but do make sure you have enough for ample hiding spots. Put the food container next to the water crystals. Place the heating pad on the floor and put it on the lowest setting. Place the bin on top of the heating pad. The temps in the bin should be around 88-90 degrees F. Once this condition is met, increasing the heat setting if necessary, add the roaches. The bin should be in a dark place, if possible, as they like it dark 24/7.

As I mentioned, add some fruit once or twice a week. Clean the bin every month or two, adding new egg crates. Other than that, just make sure they have water crystals and food and let them do their thing. In a couple months (exact time will depend on whether you get large nymphs or adults) you will have a thriving colony!

I also have a colony of Turkish roaches (Blatta lateralis) that I used to feed Ryuuku while the Dubia colony was establishing itself. You can use the exact same setup for them. They grow a lot faster and reproduce like crazy. They are, however, much faster than Dubias and do not attain the sizes Dubias do. So when your beardie is an adult he would need to eat A LOT of Turks to be full. They are great for juvenile beardies, though.

Hope that helps a bit.

Aaron

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
I love the Webkinz they have. I think my kids would FREAK if I thought about putting a kinz in the cages. Your beardies are adorable as well. :mrgreen:

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
To heisei: Thank you so much, that helped ALOT!! Now i can start a colony and be an (almost!) expert :D
To freeie&twobeardieguy: Thank you too! :D Can I see some of your guys?
To ogleRpets: Hahahaha, Back when they first came out i got a few, but now their in a drawer somewhere. So, i gave it to the beardies, knowing they'd like it more.

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Errg. Alex refuses to poop. Shes semi- burmtating (exuse me if thats spelt wrong :) ), and about 5/6 days ago, i gave her a meal of crix and salad. I gave her a bath the next day, and the day after that forced her to bask (the night she got the meal, too) And because of exams the other days i wasent around to make her bask. Today i gave her 2 warm baths, and stil no poop! Help?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Crystal, just go to the introduction section and look at the thread for Cali! You can see the whole beardie family their. :D

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, ok, cool! Well, everyone is doing good. Jess still only eats a few micro bites of her salad... :roll: But other than that, theres not much to update!

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, and i forgot to mention, Alex finally did poop!!! LOL!! And for Christmas....i got a 40 gallon for jess!!!! YAY!!!! i cant wait to move her in....And from various X-mas cards i got 40 dollars, and will be going on a mini shopping spree for the girls new years presents. And, as soon as the shipping rage dies down (all those people who christmas shop from their comupters..), i will be getting some dubia roaches and starting a colony :D :p YAY! And Jess is finally eating her salad. Alex just sleeps all day....but tomorow i am wakeing her up for a X-mas lunch!!! (Supers, Crix, Salad, And as a treat waxies!) Now for pic time....

I found some old scarves, and because my room is getting chilly at night, I put my hair-Dryer on to warm them up, and wrapped them up in it!! They loved the warmth.

See that wittle spot in the white? Yup, thats jess!
1224092143-01.jpg

And That other spot would be alex...
1224092143-02.jpg

I have NO IDEA what shes doing...
1213091539-00.jpg

In her little towel :love5: :love5:
1210091701-01.jpg

And the cat uner the tanks... :roll: :roll:

1213091612-00.jpg

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
:roll: The girls were still in thier blankies past noon. Oh well. but i came on here to say....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! MAY HOWEVER YOU SPEND IT BE AMAZING!!! :mrgreen:

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im spending the night at my friends house, so i wount be able to fall asleep next to my beardies. Oh well. I let them sleep in today. :D

Happy almpst new years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom