Tales of Thresh and Fizz *Update*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

So Deb was amazing today and came over and helped me pick out the new baby for the family. Except he isn't so much of a baby. And he may also may not be a he. :lol: He's from the same clutch as Baron was from, so his birthday is March 10th! And holy moly what a healthy juvie.

Even though he is a bit small at 12 inches, he can eat. Let me tell you, he can eat. Deb got pictures of him eating when I first gave him food 5 minutes after him being in the tank. 2 bowls of roaches later and a bowl and a half of baby bok choi and he seemed content. SO. PICTURES. I only got 3 before my camera died. :(

SAM_0286_zps317c2bb4.jpg

SAM_0287_zps523d934c.jpg

SAM_0288_zps4cd3629a.jpg

The last two are kind of crappy...But the camera was making angry red flashes at me and I was trying to get some.

Annalee

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":z9kpjw8d said:
I agree, those poor roaches!

She found her appetite this morning. Her bulb burned out though, so I took the one from my side table and put it in there. It's getting the right heat! But I have 2 basking bulbs at work waiting for me, so I'll pick those up when Brandon gets paid next week so long as the incandescent doesn't burn out sooner then that.
I've heard a lot of people have used household bulbs for heating. Haven't personally tried it myself but if it puts out the appropriate amount of heat, awesome!

BTW, Thresh is gorgeous. I know I've said it, I mean it! A truly pretty dragon.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So she ate half her roaches and just had 2 horns. Since I don't think I'll get my order of worms until next Wednesday or Thursday, I'll probably have to put her on crickets for a few days until the worms get here, but not a big deal I don't think. Hopefully she eats them, since I know some dragons won't touch crickets after roaches but tough luck for her.

And yeah, a lot of people use households for their dragons, this was the first one that put out the proper amount of heat, out of the 5 I tried. I already ordered bulbs in from work though so I do need to pick those up, 2 basking bulbs costs me 10 dollars, and they last 3 months each or so, so it's just over a dollar per month per bulb.

Annalee

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":2y8orvlu said:
So she ate half her roaches and just had 2 horns. Since I don't think I'll get my order of worms until next Wednesday or Thursday, I'll probably have to put her on crickets for a few days until the worms get here, but not a big deal I don't think. Hopefully she eats them, since I know some dragons won't touch crickets after roaches but tough luck for her.

And yeah, a lot of people use households for their dragons, this was the first one that put out the proper amount of heat, out of the 5 I tried. I already ordered bulbs in from work though so I do need to pick those up, 2 basking bulbs costs me 10 dollars, and they last 3 months each or so, so it's just over a dollar per month per bulb.
My first dragon, Charmander, had been eating roaches his whole life before he ate the whole colony I built up in his growth spurt. (-_-' ) Didn't think about ordering them online and just bought crickets and gut loaded to replace them, until he got sick, he ate them with enthusiasm as well. I have heard of dragons refusing though.

I'd kill to work at a pet store but I wouldn't make nearly as much as I do at my job now. I've actually had a couple offers at a few mom and pop shops that I've been stopping in for a couple years now but I don't think I could deal with the decrease in extra spending cash. I think the dragons would agree. XD

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
My job keeps the bills paid and the pets fed, though I would love a second job for more cash, if I can't find one I really like it makes my anxiety spin out of control. Besides, I get free cat food out of it for the 2 cats, so that's upwards of 60 dollars a month I don't have to spend, which is why Brandon and I agreed to get a dragon(since I was previously unemployed, any income was extra, and I get everything discounted, and the free cat food). Even though Thresh's food is more then 60 dollars a month(or will be).

Though with the Reptiworms it won't be that bad, since 10,000 is 110 dollars not including shipping(60-70 dollars I think) and even at 150-200 a day that's still a month and a half to 2 months worth. So it's still almost $100 a month with shipping, if she eats that many. But I figure if I grow the large ones and get them extra big, she might only need 100 a day. So that'd be 3 months or so. It'll be a trial and error thing.

But I'm also going to mix it up with butters and silks and horns when I can, and supers when she's big enough.

Annalee

Juvie Member
There's a lot of local reptile shows in the area that come through so I'm thinking next show, I'm going to pick up a butt ton of feeders and maybe start my own Dubai colony again because my 5 dragons are going to get real pricy real fast. Though, I do get 1000 crickets (any size) at a small pet shop near by for 25 dollars. That's a freaking steal when the same would be 110 dollars at big boy pet store.

They often bring a ton of silks, Dubai and horn worms so I'm looking to buy at least a hundred dollars of feeders and hopefully keep at least the dubai breeding.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I would start a colony, but since I rent and there can be random inspections I don't want my landlord to find them and me have to get rid of them. The biggest reptile show is in Sept(there's normally one in fall and one in spring) but I don't think any feeders are going to be there just breeders?? I'm still going to try and go and hand out a card saying I sell Repti's now though.

I wish we had more reptile shows...they sound so common in the states!!

So Thresh threw herself at the door, and I thought she wanted to poop, so I gave her a bath and she gave me a half poo and now I'm sitting here watching her very suspiciously.

Annalee

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":x7qod84b said:
I would start a colony, but since I rent and there can be random inspections I don't want my landlord to find them and me have to get rid of them. The biggest reptile show is in Sept(there's normally one in fall and one in spring) but I don't think any feeders are going to be there just breeders?? I'm still going to try and go and hand out a card saying I sell Repti's now though.

I wish we had more reptile shows...they sound so common in the states!!

So Thresh threw herself at the door, and I thought she wanted to poop, so I gave her a bath and she gave me a half poo and now I'm sitting here watching her very suspiciously.
There are far more in a city near by me (Kansas City) every spring, septemeber and november every year. Pretty much every breeder was also selling feeders. Usually just crickets though. There were a few who sold dubai, horn and silkworms though. I bought 2 dozen silks and the guy ended up giving me 4 or 5 times my order because we talked for a while. He was supposed to email me so I could continuously buy from him but he never did. I'm guessing he'll be there in September though so I'll get him then.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Oh and I know what you mean. Hyuna has the smallest little poops in her bath, I think just to get out of it and then poops the other half in her enclosure. :roll:

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Maybe some will have feeders, that'd be nice to get some cheap feeders. Everywhere on the North Shore is so expensive, and I really only have 2-3 options to get feeders from. Mr. Pets does order Silk worms in though, which is nice! They're just kind of expensive...I think 50 is like 47-48 dollars. And that won't get me far. I do need to go down on the weekend and see what they have for other feeders though and their prices.

Annalee

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":2by0kzbs said:
Maybe some will have feeders, that'd be nice to get some cheap feeders. Everywhere on the North Shore is so expensive, and I really only have 2-3 options to get feeders from. Mr. Pets does order Silk worms in though, which is nice! They're just kind of expensive...I think 50 is like 47-48 dollars. And that won't get me far. I do need to go down on the weekend and see what they have for other feeders though and their prices.
I paid a dollar per dozen for the silkworms I bought at the show O: I had no idea they were that pricey. Wish it would be logical to buy you guys some and mail to Canada but I have a feeling shipping would bee more pricey than that. Wow, I had no idea.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Everything is more expensive up here, it sucks. To get feeders mailed online, it costs at minimum 17 dollars, and just goes up and up from there. I am tempted to order some worms from the one lady Deb ordered from because she paid 16 dollars for 1,000 supers and that's really good for shipping believe it or not. But we'll see.

I just caught Thresh eating Collards! She then ran off and is hiding from me now because she knew I saw her.

Annalee

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":2zsu714x said:
Everything is more expensive up here, it sucks. To get feeders mailed online, it costs at minimum 17 dollars, and just goes up and up from there. I am tempted to order some worms from the one lady Deb ordered from because she paid 16 dollars for 1,000 supers and that's really good for shipping believe it or not. But we'll see.

I just caught Thresh eating Collards! She then ran off and is hiding from me now because she knew I saw her.
Try that dressing, man! Walrus used to do the same thing XD

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'll leave her for now, I know she's eating at least half the amount of greens I give her per day, which is quite a bit. I'm just glad I saw her eating them. She's got a big belly right now. :lol:

Annalee

Juvie Member
CountofCasualty":3voh5ssz said:
I'll leave her for now, I know she's eating at least half the amount of greens I give her per day, which is quite a bit. I'm just glad I saw her eating them. She's got a big belly right now. :lol:

Isn't it funny how excited we are that they're fat? XD Like every other animal on the planet, we'd be at least concerned if they were fat. :lol:

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'm super concerned about my cats being fat, cause it can lead to diabetes and that's a whole other ballgame with them....But dragons?! Be Fat! FATFATFAT!

So, Thresh ate 5 horns, a bowl(about 30) roaches and half a bowl of greens
So much for relocation stress, little girl.

She has also banged on her door probably half a dozen times today for attention...she will sit there for 30+ minutes and STARE at me. It's a bit unnerving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom