Tales of Thresh and Fizz *Update*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

So Deb was amazing today and came over and helped me pick out the new baby for the family. Except he isn't so much of a baby. And he may also may not be a he. :lol: He's from the same clutch as Baron was from, so his birthday is March 10th! And holy moly what a healthy juvie.

Even though he is a bit small at 12 inches, he can eat. Let me tell you, he can eat. Deb got pictures of him eating when I first gave him food 5 minutes after him being in the tank. 2 bowls of roaches later and a bowl and a half of baby bok choi and he seemed content. SO. PICTURES. I only got 3 before my camera died. :(

SAM_0286_zps317c2bb4.jpg

SAM_0287_zps523d934c.jpg

SAM_0288_zps4cd3629a.jpg

The last two are kind of crappy...But the camera was making angry red flashes at me and I was trying to get some.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'm not giving her liquid calcium-I don't have it. Her bugs are getting super extra dusted when she does eat them though.
She isnt touching her greens either...I'm going to pick up some puree'd pumpkin or chicken&veg baby food and mix up a syringe of it with Carnivore Care and get that into her today, with some extra calcium too. I'm just so worried about her now.

We'll be picking up two ReptiSun 10.0 tubes when we're at the Reptile Expo on our vacation and switch her over to that as soon as we get back, too.

I'm so stressed I don't know how well my vacation will go. :roll:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks for helping me clean out my roach bin, that should give Fizz some food for awhile! He is a real cutie.

So I got some info about a different antibiotic that I've never heard of. It's supposed to help with RI and also bacterial infections. It's injectible and is better on their system than Baytril. Here's the article on http://www.beautifuldragons.com that my friend Vee found. She posted it wondering if anyone had heard of it:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautifuldragons.com%2FTylan.html&h=jAQH0Ltee

You should ask your vet about it for Thresh, might do the trick on her.

Have a wonderful vacation and relax, k? I know you're looking forward to it, your babies will be fine.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi Deb, thanks for that link! I'll ask my vet about it when we get back.

We very unexpectedly added a member to the family...I will post later tonight, but my new coworker told me her neighbour or friend(can't remember which) found a bearded dragon on their lawn this morning and has been keeping him in a 5g bucket. She mentioned it to our manager, who said I keep dragons. She asked me if I would take him.

Of course I said yes. Hopefully he's in okay shape and I can just fatten him up and rehome him in a month or two, however I am expecting to have to call a rescue and get him to one tomorrow morning.

So we'll clean Thresh's old exoterra out, disinfect the heck outta it, get it in our bedroom and get a heat lamp in it. We won't be able to get him under UVB until we get back(I'll be buying 2 reptisun bulbs at the expo and fixtures when we get back). Provided he stays with us, that is.

Will update with pics and his state when I get home and have him soaking, probably around 7:30-8.

I am nervous and excited. Hopefully he's okay!

Big fat edit: Coworker found the owner. Apparently he belonged to a house 3 door down.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well that's a relief, that the owner was found, guess that dragon was doing a bit of a walkabout & got lost. Wonder how he got loose to begin with, but all ended well.

Vee, who told me about that antibiotic, said you can get a huge bottle of it from tractor supply stores for $14.99 :mrgreen:

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I think they probably had him outside without a harness and he bolted for it. I'm just glad he was okay and got back home.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
We had a good trip. It could have been better in moments(more below), but I'll cover the good first. :)

We went to the reptile expo on Saturday, and picked up Thresh a Reptisun. I got her an 18" on accident, not a 24"...gr. But it will have to do for now. One of the vendors had CACTUS PAD!! So I picked up 2 pounds of that for $12. I have to find out who they were and get their email. I think Thresh likes it...She kept licking her lips after I shoved a little in her mouth and looking at it very curiously. Fizz didn't really look at it-he's to entranced with his squash.

We picked up Draxel 2 hides, they're black and really nice, and they were $10 each, so that was good.

We met a vendor from Delta, too! He had some beautiful ball python babies, and lots of piebalds! My dream morph. So we picked a little male up. I didn't get any pictures, and we won't be getting him for 2 weeks any ways. The breeder had to go back to Alberta for work on Tuesday, and we got back yesterday, so we'll be getting him the weekend of the Expo here I think.

We had everything for him, and then we'll get 2 stackable PVC cages in 6-7 months when the new baby is of size for an adult enclosure. Drax has his right now, but I can't stack them on top of each other. We have a few months before we have to think about it though.

If I breed bp's, I'll be breeding for piebalds. So this is more of an 'investment' in that sense. I love Draxel-but I'll never breed him. Despite what a vendor told me-they said I could pick up a 'really nice example and throw some decent babies'. Draxel is lovely, but he's not the best example. He's a good 'pet quality', not near a breeder quality animal. If I breed, I only ever want breeder quality animals. I ended the conversation with that vendor pretty quick. I think the market-especially ball pythons- is saturated enough with low quality animals from people throwing their pet snakes together and seeing what they'll get to try and make a quick buck. That isn't a practice I support and I want nothing to do with it, for sure.

Drax shed before we left, but he still whistles-only when we handle him or scare him, so he's not sick.

We went shopping on Saturday too, got Brandon 4 pairs of jeans that fit him. He was wearing 34 before I went on Keto(he went on with me) and he lost a lot of weight, he's a 29-30 now! I picked up 2 more pairs of jeans, too, they were cheap and my other 2 pairs were way to large and kept falling off.

We also picked up some new work shoes-they have memory foam. They're so comfy, great for work.

We went for a 3.5 hour horse back ride on Monday, it was GREAT. I had so much fun, and it was beautiful. We could see the Rockies, and it was a wonderful sunny day, too, but it wasn't to hot. Sure makes me want a horse!

A lot of it was spent lying around, though I was able to drive my parents vehicles, so Brandon and I went out to ice cream a few times, or just went for a drive to explore. It was great to have that freedom again, can't wait until we have a car!

My parents drank more than I wished while we were there...we got into a few fights because of it. I hate when they drink-I moved away to get away from it. They're alcoholics, I just hate talking about it...They know they are, but they just won't stop. I wish they would. By the end I was excited to get back home, mainly because of that. I could never tell them that though...

I did talk to my Mom about Kyla, and how she treats me. I don't think she realized what Kyla has done to my self confidence. She said she would have to have a long talk with Kyla about it, because how she treated me was absolutely ridiculous. If she does talk to her is another matter.

I don't think we'll be going away from home for as long, or as far. With the now 7! pets, if we don't have a room mate, finding someone to take care of them would be way to expensive.

When we got home, Benjamin hissed at me. He was pretty upset, but he was right back to normal after 15 minutes, loving all on us. He hates JT, so it must have been pretty lonely for him. :cry: Missy didn't care much-she likes JT.

Thresh shed her beard while we were gone! Looks so nice now. :)

And Fizz is HUGE. He's 17" long now, and 260g. His head and body have really started to broaden out, too. He's starting to look more like a 'juvie' and not a baby any more. Gosh, what am I going to do with him?? He's going through roaches so quickly because they just aren't freaking big enough for him. He's just over 4 months old and he's so big already. :cry:

I'm writing this at work, and I just had a SQUIRREL walk in. Had to chase him around with gloves on trying to catch him. Finally chased him out, thank goodness...That was a new one though.

I'll try and get some pictures up later today or tomorrow.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well, except for the issues with your parents, sounds like you had a good vacation. I'm sure you were really glad to get home, though. Glad Benjy decided he was glad to have you back again, sweet boy.

Wow, I'm so amazed on how big Fizz is getting. Is your colony getting lots of bigger roaches yet? Let me know, I still have the 20 full! And I'm still drawing out roaches from the 10 gallon for Didi and Leo. I thought I got Puff and Gabriel to switch to roaches, got a big heavy dish out for Gabriel and put some roaches in last week, they disappeared, so I thought "great, only Lonzo on worms" and kept putting others in both dishes, they all disappeared, too. Well I found them all. Puff & Gabriel were letting them escape (how I don't know); Puff's roaches were up on the side of her hide and Gabriel's roaches were under his ceramic gecko, BRATS :lol: :roll: So they're bac, to supers. I might try it again one day, we'll see...

Thresh must look so pretty with her shed beard, I just love her beard, it's so unique. How's her foot now? Those gray spot should come off when she sheds her arms.

Glad that whistle Draxel keeps making isn't anything serious, maybe it's just his way of saying "hi"!

And a new little snake, will be looking forward to seeing him, too.

Glad you got the horseback riding in, lots of fun! And shopping, too. Looks like you got all that you needed. Glad to hear that.

So let me know if you need bigger roaches, I'll check my 20 gallon for you. Just give me the length you want.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thresh's foot looks okay, her knee is swollen still...

Brandon also got a Transfer at work. He's working at Lougheed Mall now-an hour transit ride from home. It's a much busier store, and in a mall, so he's getting more experience for when he does get his promotion...whenever that will be. He starts there on the 31st, we knew before we left though. Still a pain, not looking forward to his long hours. I hope it means he'll be getting a promotion in the new year. He said if he doesn't have one by March-June, he's going to look for a new job. He was told he'd probably have a store by now. He wants to give it until then, because that's about a year after he was fully trained for the position before he starts finding a new job. We'll see what happens...

I applied to Bosley's on Lonsdale for an ASM job. I applied 2 weeks ago now, and no phone call...I'm going to call the Store Manager again and see if the position is filled. The district manager is hiring for it, and I imagine she's just really busy, but if it's filled I think I'm going to start looking for an ASM job at another pet store.

I did apply to Mr. Pets though so we'll see what happens.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, even though your vet isn't expensive, the visits to add up, don't they. But she needs to have that knee seen, so I'm glad you're able to raise the $. I'd add some, but have no $ until Sept 12, just got the last 2 lights from Arcadia, picking them up tomorrow, but still need to get another 3 prong timer, and that's it. They'll be set for at least a year.

Glad Student Loans was able to give you a break for 6 months. Then they'll reassess. Hopefully Brandon is manager by then and you can starting paying them down again. Always something coming up, isn't there.

Good luck with Bosley's, hopefully you're able to find f/t work there or at another pet shop. Fingers crossed!

Give Fizz and Thresh a hug from all of us & Draxel, too! And Benjy and Missy a bit long petting session...

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Here are some photos!
Thresh:
tumblr_nb1mrr3XJB1toehq5o1_1280.jpg

I made some tiny party hats out of cupcake liners and pompoms to made 'thank you' photos to people who have donated, and of course I had to get some photos of the big girl with one of them on...
tumblr_nb1ji060XJ1toehq5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nb1ji060XJ1toehq5o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nb1ji060XJ1toehq5o3_1280.jpg

Fizz:
He started to shed his head, and as soon as he hits the bath the shed just starts to fall off..
tumblr_nb1mrr3XJB1toehq5o2_1280.jpg

He's getting some colour in that beard!
tumblr_nb1mrr3XJB1toehq5o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nb1mrr3XJB1toehq5o5_1280.jpg

I applied to another pet shop for another ASM position last night, too. I hope I get a phone call, even though I missed 2 things on my resume(keyholder and teamworking). I hope those things don't severely effect my chances.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Beautiful pictures, love the hat! And hope you raise enough to pay for the whole vet visit. Fizz is just growing and growing, he's so cute & I see the colour coming in.

Good luck on the applications!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom