Continuing problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thankyou, yes I disinfected the slate rock that Chacoby was on :( Gave it back to Xena as I like them better as they keep their belly's nice and warm! Her log is nearer to the UV which she has started to move between which is good :) I swear each time she sheds she gets lazier and naughtier, she is 5 months now, and her beard has the capabilities of puffing it's scary at first haha. She doesn't do it often only if I unexpectedly look at her. Thanks for your help, I hope I am doing everything right :D

NightFury

Hatchling Member
Weird that your beardie is high in yeast levels, did you ever feed beardie any corn? that contains yeast. I am glad that Xena is doing ok otherwise :)

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
NathanNatalie3002":e3rw6cnl said:
Hello the vet didn't mention fruit, but I do not see this as possible as I have never given her fruit in her life! How strange, she has never been given it not even once, just veg and livefood. Anyone know what else it could be? She is fine though, I am just taking precautions.

Thankyou

Hi,
I just wanted to try and help clarify the yeast/fruit question and to tell you how to try to keep the level of yeast "calm".

I don't want to get all technical on ya because that can be boring as heck! I've been doing hours of research on-line
this evening and from what I've been able to find yeast acts quite similar in humans and reptiles....I guess yeast is yeast.
But here is what you should know about yeast in your dragon.

Yeasts are natural and widely distributed in substances like the vegetative parts of plants, soil, animal excreta, and so on. Yeasts live on the skin, and in the intestinal tract. Your dragon is exposed to yeast constantly but the yeast/bacteria balance keeps it in check.

When yeast overgrowth does exist, it is a secondary symptom to another problem, not the cause.

Often, it's impossible to know the cause of a yeast overgrowth or infection. Generally yeast infections occur because of changes in the yeast/bacteria balance and/or the pH balance (alkaline/acid).

Some of the factors that can cause yeast/bacterial imbalance and/or pH imbalance include stress, parasites, parasite damage to intestinal lining, nutritional deficiencies, food intolerances, any gastrointestinal irritants, a depressed immune system, hormonal changes, impaired endocrine function, impaired liver function; decreased digestive secretions, some other underlying disease states and antibiotic insult.
Basically, pretty much anything that can disrupt the digestive or immune systems can contribute to a yeast overgrowth.

Sugar promotes the growth of yeast, feeds it actually. So this means for a Bearded Dragon with an already high yeast count avoiding the fruits to avoid the sugars that feed the yeast. That's why I suggested to avoid fruit for now.
Or, as in my case, I don't feed my dragons fruit to avoid sugar to hopefully avoid or at least minimize a yeast overgrowth if a causitive factor arises.

Probiotic treatment can help re-establish yeast /bacterial balance as well as help prevent future yeast infections.

If the vet told me my dragons yeast level was "slightly higher" that would indicate to me that there may be a problem or that my dragon was experiencing some kind of stress and I'd have them on a probiotic immediately.
I hope this helps.
Amanda

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much! That's interesting to know and thanks for the research you did. He is a very good vet he said to keep up with the supplements etc and I have a copy of the fecal which I will post here when I get chance. I will get her some soy yoghurt and give her some of that to make sure she doesn't get poorly. Will is back tomorrow in more detail about exam thanks

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello :) Sorry for the late reply but here are the fecal results:

Culture growth consistent- aerobic cultures show a heavy mixed with normal fecal flora.

Salmonella- negative.

Campylobacter- negative.

Yeasts isolated- positive (++) plus ++ Aspergillus niger.

Direct yeasts sen- scanty coccidia, nematode ova and

cryptospridium- negative.

Concentrate- moderate numbers as above, no further ova, cysts or parasites seen.

Sensitivities- not indicated.

Sorry this is exactly how it is printed, so if it makes no sense then sorry again.

p.s. A few recent pics :D

409458_3272838178229_1185646845_3407947_1886631523_n1.jpg

423293_3233877484236_1185646845_3392575_1457497099_n.jpg

423527_3272898019725_1185646845_3407960_1456964117_n.jpg

429052_3272831098052_1185646845_3407943_796277989_n.jpg

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I PM'd Drache613....her name is Tracie. She is a moderator on this site and very knowledgeable. I'm sure she can help you with the fecal results.
Amanda

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a very clean fecal test other than the Aspergillus being present which is a fungus/mold/yeast issue & should be treated! It is a commonly found in the environment. What is the humidity in the tank & what type of substrate is she on?
What was the recommendation from the vet? Did he say it should be treated or no?
Other than that, no coccidia or worms basically or cryptosporidium is excellent.
I would start giving some probiotics to help restore natural flora to the system & help yeast build up for now. Avoid all fruits as well if you are even feeding any. As Amanda has mentioned, stress can also cause an increase in yeast. How long have you had her now? She could still be going through relocation stress, too which allows opportunistic bacteria, etc to invade the host. Balance is the key & normally it is easy to establish & maintain balance but sometimes stress will throw it out of kilter for awhile.

Tracie

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":ruaawco5 said:
Hello,

That is a very clean fecal test other than the Aspergillus being present which is a fungus/mold/yeast issue & should be treated! It is a commonly found in the environment. What is the humidity in the tank & what type of substrate is she on?
What was the recommendation from the vet? Did he say it should be treated or no?
Other than that, no coccidia or worms basically or cryptosporidium is excellent.
I would start giving some probiotics to help restore natural flora to the system & help yeast build up for now. Avoid all fruits as well if you are even feeding any. As Amanda has mentioned, stress can also cause an increase in yeast. How long have you had her now? She could still be going through relocation stress, too which allows opportunistic bacteria, etc to invade the host. Balance is the key & normally it is easy to establish & maintain balance but sometimes stress will throw it out of kilter for awhile.

Tracie

Many thanks for your reply Tracy, I now have a digital thermometer but it doesn't measure humidity. I only have the stick on for that. The humidity on the stick on one reads around 35. I only put a dish of water in her tank if she is shedding, which is a large shallow dish as she only uses it when she is trying to get the skin off. Other than that she just has baths and drinks in them, or I drip the odd drop onto her nose every so often. She is currently on Newspaper, and she has 1- 2 poo's a day, always in the same place at the cold end and gets angry at it and runs away, she never sits in/near it and I remove it immediately. I can't see it being an issue with cleanliness as I feed her in a separate tank, so cricks/locusts/worms are never left in there with her, as I find it unhygienic and a task to catch them all before lights out.

I got her in November, she is 5-6 months old now (2 when I got her.) She never black beards/shows stress unless she is on me and wants to stay out of the tank and I persist that she goes back in, she gets grumpy then. Her tank is in my student room located next to my bed and she can see me working at my desk :) So that shouldn't be an issue.

The vet said she had very good fat amounts and looked perfectly healthy, very active etc... he said that he does not see the point in treating her with meds as this may cause more harm. He told me to make sure the temps are slightly hotter than usual and to call back if she becomes ill and he will prescribe the treatment. Obviously Chacoby died, and got moved, so maybe the effect of her leaving confused her in some way?

I never feed fruit, and she gets veg every other day just greens she has never had fruit in her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom