Zoo Med Excavator Clay? Safe or Not?

Beardie name(s)
Thor, Loki (Deceased)
I have a 3-month-old Beardie named Loki, and I was wondering whether Zoo Med Excavator Clay is safe or not. I currently have reptile carpet as the flooring but I am worried about switching over to a different substrate because of the risk of impaction. I am open to all suggestions! Thank you!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Get rid of the carpet,it nearly Impossible to sanitize.
That's also the biggest issue i had with the excavator clay. It sokes up the the urine and the poo stains it.
As far as impaction if you use enough water when you mix it, it lays nice in flat. If not enough water you get some crumbles that can be ingested. My girl tried to eat it with 2 seconds. Tile or food grade shelf liner make good options. Avoid anything with adhesive, it could be toxic

LokitheBeardedDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thor, Loki (Deceased)
Get rid of the carpet,it nearly Impossible to sanitize.
That's also the biggest issue i had with the excavator clay. It sokes up the the urine and the poo stains it.
As far as impaction if you use enough water when you mix it, it lays nice in flat. If not enough water you get some crumbles that can be ingested. My girl tried to eat it with 2 seconds. Tile or food grade shelf liner make good options. Avoid anything with adhesive, it could be toxic
OK! Thank you!!

jabda

Hatchling Member
OK! Thank you!!
OK, may sound crazy... Go to discount store, Five & Below is where I purchased mine. Get a yoga, cut to size disinfect with 50/50 vinegar/water, place in sun for a few days, Bingo, cleans easy and I've never had a problem, been using for over one year. BD still alive!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom