zoo beardie in bad shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
My family and I visited a zoo in Palm Desert last weekend and in one of the enclosures in the reptile house was this poor little beardie. He is on what appeared to be sand or dirt, had iceburg lettuce and carrots for food. No UVB lighting. No basking area. And what's up with his back legs? MBD? How can they keep a bearded dragon like this? There is something obviously wrong with him, and apparently they have no clue how to care for him. the poor guy kept lifting his head and looking back at me but otherwise didn't move. I was very shocked and surprised at this. I'm thinking of writing an email to them to complain, but I'm not sure what good that will do.

zoobeardie.jpg

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
That is horrid! Jeez thats why I just don't like Zoo's!

Well a serious complaint would be awesome! With the proper care as well.

That sucks tho! :/

~Haley

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Isn't this just horrible?!
I was in petco today just browsing and looked in the water dragon tank and there was one poor little dragon burrowed under his water bowl with his head poking out, his one eye was so infected that it was disintegrating, he had MBD so bad that he barely had the bottom part of his jaw left and it was brown, not green. I actually thought he was dead and went and got someone and they moved the water bowl and he wobbled away, scared as anything. I took pictures (I'm not home now but will post them when I get home) so that I could send them to corporate because this is the second time I've had an experience like this at petco, but the first was a baby beardie and it was actually dead. So dead that his eyeballs were gone and his head started to disintegrate. It makes me sick!
The water dragon had a UVB, but over a metal lid with little holes in it that was about 2 feet from him. When he was under the water bowl he had wood chips on top of his head, you will see in the pic.

I didn't even waste my breath complaining to anyone in store, because it will get me no where.
I don't even think its legal to treat animals this way! And right on the water dragon tank was a sign saying how every animal is guaranteed 100% healthy, yada yada yada.

I wish I knew how to stop it, but unfortunetly don't think it ever will.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
As far as the condition of some pet store reptiles goes, I'm not even surprised anymore. But this is a very nice zoo. All of the other animals, from what I could see, appeared healthy and well cared for. Why this beardie was neglected, I have no idea. If it was a giraffe or zebra or camel or whatever that was ill and wasting away, you'd better believe there would be a public out-cry. Why do people think that this little guy doesn't deserve the same amount of respect and care. It makes me sad. :(

jjh1

Juvie Member
I would have totally said to them at the zoo hey this bearded dragon is sick and point stuff out they have done wrong.

Also that I would take the bearded dragon home with me since you all dont know how to take care of it.

This so saddens me

Joanne

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
jjh1":3ghjnnas said:
I would have totally said to them at the zoo hey this bearded dragon is sick and point stuff out they have done wrong.

Also that I would take the bearded dragon home with me since you all dont know how to take care of it.

This so saddens me

Joanne
Joanne, I wish I had said something. I'm so non-confrontational. I wish I wasn't. I am going to write an email to them tonight though for all the good it will do.

AMHaak

Juvie Member
That is so sad! :( What you should do it give the picture to your local news media and see if they can put it in the paper or on their online site.

angie

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AMHaak":152p6bl9 said:
That is so sad! :( What you should do it give the picture to your local news media and see if they can put it in the paper or on their online site.

angie
That's an idea, but I'd like to at least try to deal with the zoo directly at first. I sent them an email last night. Let's see if I get a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom