Zoey the dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone reading this. this is the beginning of what i want to be a little blog of Zoeys life, something i can look back on years from now and remember my baby girl :D
I love taking pictures of Zoey so there will be no shortage of pictures or videos

I'll start off by telling everyone about Zoey's cage its an Exo-terra 36x18x12. i use tile as her substraight her basking temp is 110 at the highest point but she can go closer or farther from the light as she chooses her cool side at at 85 she has the uvb tube she needs and loves her home. Today marks a week of owning her and i already love her and her personality
Zoey is 9 and a half inches long head to tail and 36 grams, no idea about how old she is any ideas?

RAWWWRRR look at me!!!
lmtXhhr.jpg

Zoey and i right after her bath :p
qasm0r8.jpg

MastaPete

Original Poster
Omg those are Soo cute!! Definitely going to look into making something like that! Where did you find the fabric for them?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I got the fabric two years ago at walmart. I don't know if they still have those particular patterns or not but they do have some nice fleece and cotton/polyester fabrics to choose from. If cut right then a yard of fabric is all you need. Fold the fabric in half and cut the hammock on the fold so you only have to sew two sides of it. Then cut 2 pieces for the blanket and sew them together, you can add quilt batting inside so they are warm for winter unless using fleece then you don't have to, avoid the batting for cotton summer sets. Then cut two small pieces for the pillow and stuff it after 3 sides are sewn up then sew it up after its stuffed.

MastaPete

Original Poster
Oh cool, thank you! I'll have tomake something similar for Zoey I'm thinking of something more like a sleeping bag type blanket with a pillow and a zipper

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I would be careful of using a zipper in them, even though it seems safe I would be afraid of them getting their scales snagged on the teeth of the zipper or a claw caught up in it. Velcro would be a safer alternative I would think or even snaps.

MastaPete

Original Poster
Yeah your right I didn't even think about Velcro that'd be much easier to put on the fabric too! Thanks when ever I do get to making something it'll be for sure on here

MastaPete

Original Poster
Hey everyone!
same old same old going on with Zoey today I went and got her a fresh bag of crickets. I get 5 dozen medium at a time and that lasts a week, give or take a few days. It works out perfect because my store has a "Cricket club" and every time you buy 4 dozen you get a dozen free so I only lay about 4.30 for 5 dozen and they always give me more then 60. every week when I get fresh crickets I have the same routine. feed Zoey all the crickets left in the bin (about 10) then take the Cricket container clean it chop up veggies for the crickets and some fruits then dump in the new batch of Crickets. I think Zoey knows the crickets are "fresh" because she always eats them like a PIG the first day she ate another 8-10. then I go and chop up some veggies for her every other day she gets a fresh bowl just because she hardly eats them only when I hand feed her. her regular bowl consists of mustard greens red pepper and spaghetti squash. Zoeys FAVORITE veggie is carrot but she really likes the red pepper as well, I read some where carrot is bad as an everyday veggie so I try to limit it. as for that theres not much else going on with ZoZo right now.
A quick question I've had on my mind, when is the best time to weigh her? before eating or after?
I really appreciate eveyones help and compliments, thank you!

"shhhh!!! i'm huntin Cricket!"
XQkAwrt.jpg

Zoeys salad bowl
uVaqeNP.jpg

Zoeys cricket container after cleaning it. fits 5 dozen perfectly
wLzlXAL.jpg

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Love the hunting scene....reminded me of the cartoon when he was hunting rabbits!

I've been cutting up my greens and putting them mixed with spaghetti squash and butternet squash chopped finely, in a zip lock baggie, and it lasts for at least 3 days that way, and dish it out as needed. If he does not eat it one day, I save it in the refrigerator for the next day. Seems to hold up well. I rinse it out with filtered water from our refrigerator dispenser so maybe that makes it last longer in the heated tank. I got tired of mixing them FRESH every morning when he barely touched them. Although now, at around 8-9 months old, he does eat them, and picks through the ones he likes the most. So far, most evenings the spaghetti squash, dandilyon greens are what he eats the most of, in the mix.

MastaPete

Original Poster
That's what I was thinking about to Lol Ahhh ! It's rabbit season! Lol chopping up a few days worth of salad and putting it in a Ziplock does seem much easier

MastaPete

Original Poster
Hey friends!
It's been a little bit. but the weekend was a busy one. Zoey had a very long trip to Wisconsin with me and my family it was only about a 3-4 hour drive but it sure felt like forever!! everything worked out perfect with her she really loved the screen cage I got her its 18x18x36 and I put it on its side so it was 36inch long and 18 high worked perfect while in Wisconsin on the last night I decided to drive the ATV to the local private beach to see if there was any wood I could take for Zoey. Well there was, it was just 30 feet out in the water. the lake there is extremely shallow for the first 100 yards and ICE COLD I decided to take my shoes and socks off and be a man. so I run out there grab the wood and its HUGE!!!! it was a giant tree stump with the roots attached to it quickly grabbed it and ran back to the ATV couldn't even feel my feet at that point drove as fast as I could with out the wood falling off back home, my cousin helped me cut it in half and now its small enough for Zoeys cage. I haven't put it in yet I've been letting it dry out. it looks amazing though and will fill her cage perfectly. Cant wait! today i weighed her and oh boy is she getting big fast! 47 grams!!!!! holy crap!!
seems like just yesterday she was 30!
As always thanks for reading and enjoy the pictures!

My little sister loved holding Zoey in her lap while driving to Wisconsin... Zoey loved it because she was on a super soft pillow.
Af3RY26.jpg

the screen cage I got Zoey sorry for the crappy quality it really is just a super basic set up but she didn't mind
2QwMMJa.jpg

Zoey was exhausted one day and snuggled up with my pillow and went to bed. shes so cute! :D
N5HaCux.jpg

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Nice pics. Isn't it funny how our little tough looking scaly friends can be such pushovers for soft things? Who would have thought?
Just curious how she likes the red bell peppers? Rin loves butternut squash but I haven't tried red bell peppers yet.
Also, this might sound like a dumb question, but how do you get the crickets out of their container? We have a large cricket enclosure with black tubes in it, so I just take out a tube and tap it into his feeding tub till a couple of them fall out. I don't get any jumping out that way, when I feed him.

MastaPete

Original Poster
Karen, it really is crazy how goofie and sweet they actually are, Zoey loves red bell pepper! it's one of the few veggies I give her that she eats every time try it out! As for the crickets I use long tweezers. I have a PVC pipe with a cap on it but I don't keep it in the cricket container anymore the crickets can't get traction in it so they never go into it maybe I can take some sand paper to the inside and rough it up or maybe it's because the PVC is white and not black. The tweezers work fine it's just a pain in the butt

Tonja

BD.org Addict
The pictures are wonderful! I love how they love to cuddle up on soft things like that, its so sweet. Mine love red, yellow and orange bell peppers, gobble them right down. Piece of wood you got sounds nice but dang I don't think I would go into icy cold water for a piece lol. When its dried out put it in the oven at 250 for 30 mins to sterilize it and kill anything in it. Keep the pictures coming, I love looking at them and she is such a cutie!

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Aw....Zoey is adorable!! Love all the updates and especially the pictures. It's evident you have formed quite a bond with her!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom