Zoey the dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone reading this. this is the beginning of what i want to be a little blog of Zoeys life, something i can look back on years from now and remember my baby girl :D
I love taking pictures of Zoey so there will be no shortage of pictures or videos

I'll start off by telling everyone about Zoey's cage its an Exo-terra 36x18x12. i use tile as her substraight her basking temp is 110 at the highest point but she can go closer or farther from the light as she chooses her cool side at at 85 she has the uvb tube she needs and loves her home. Today marks a week of owning her and i already love her and her personality
Zoey is 9 and a half inches long head to tail and 36 grams, no idea about how old she is any ideas?

RAWWWRRR look at me!!!
lmtXhhr.jpg

Zoey and i right after her bath :p
qasm0r8.jpg

MastaPete

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3877w72j said:
lol Bears sleeping bag! Ditka would approve.

Zoey really does like it but I want to get her something really soft like a fleece blanket. maybe somewhere in the world they make actual fleece "sleeping bags" for beardies ahahaha that'd be pretty cool

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Zoey looks a LOT like our Rin. Except Rin has some orange on him, and orange looking eye lashes painted above his eyes. :) Zoey is so cute. I can tell she is very sweet.
We have the same tank as you do too. I love that it opens from the front. When we got Rin, he was almost the same exact size as Zoey. We didn't know his hatch day either, but I figured he was about 3 months old at the time. We've had him for 6 weeks now, and he has really grown.
One thing to be careful of, in the tanks we have, the crickets can go behind the wall, and continue to live there, especially if you feed her greens inside the viv. If that happens, and they start to get hungry they can bother her at night, by keeping her awake from chirping, or coming out and biting on her.
Rin is rarely that hungry in the morning, so we keep his greens in the tank and as soon as I get home (around 5:30 pm) I feed him live food in a separate tub. You might want to try doing that. 1. it will make her eat her greens if she is really hungry, and help in transitioning her to greens as she gets older, and 2. when I feed him live feeders when I get home, he really appreciates dinner. Lights go out, on a timer at 8:30pm.
I've fed him like that the entire time we've had him and he has not suffered at all (nor has he missed a meal). :D
Get her used to baths at that age as well. I just posted some pictures of our Rinverae taking a power nap in the tub, he liked it so much. (in the same forum).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've read about fleece hammocks around here somewhere. Not sure if they exist or are theoretical, but that may be a nice soft place for sleeping. I also just read about sleeper sacks that pogismom makes. They look pretty comfortable.

MastaPete

Original Poster
@karen i have as well noticed the crickets get into the back of the background! and lately i've thought about just taking it out its annoying as well because the crickets can climb up and then walk around the top screen i like the idea of feeding her in her cage. she loves her veggies and eats them no problem so no worries there. Zoey is very sweet and also has some orange on her but shes going through a shed she has the most orange where here legs meet her body and on her sides rin sounds adorable and ill have to check out your thread right after im done replying! how much has Rin grown after having him for 6 weeks?

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Ren was 11 inches from nose to tip of tail when we got him 6 weeks ago. He is now 14.5 inches. For sleeping arrangements, I cut up a fleece lap blanket and scrunch it up so he can sleep in different positions as he chooses, then put one of the pieces very loosely over his body. I take it out in the mornings after he's been up for about a half our, and his head is raised up. We use a red lamp at night for him, to make sure it stays warm, and it keeps his sleeping area dark. He doesn't seem to mind it at all, but we keep it very loose. He has moved directions in it a couple of times, so if he wanted to, he could climb out to the top. I think he's starting to associate it with bedtime though.
As for the background, I like the background, it give the viv some depth. But if I were to feed him live feeders in there I too would consider taking it out.
Another option, if you decide to keep the backdrop, would be to give her butter worms to eat, in a small cup before you leave, and give her crickets in the evenings outside of her tank. I do find that part of the bonding and joy of having our BD is feedings in the evenings. He sometimes runs off of his basking spot and outside of his viv, to the carpet when he sees the cricket container. It's just a very fun experience to feed him outside of his tank.

MastaPete

Original Poster
i have been looking into getting some type of worms for Zoey and doing just that, worms in the morning crickets at night it'll happen soon, feeding crickets after coming home is definitely an awesome part of having a dragon and very entertaining watching them hunt and chase them down, so cute.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their excitement hunting down crickets is like watching a little kid open presents on Christmas.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
CooperDragon":38l53fd4 said:
Their excitement hunting down crickets is like watching a little kid open presents on Christmas.

Great visual! I love watching him perk up, and run down his basking spot when he sees the cricket bin.
With Rin, when we put him in the plastic container, he stands on his tip toes and looks up really high at us. It reminds me of being a toddler in a high chair waiting for dinner.
He twists his head around to try to hear the cricket tubes as we pound on the backs like catsup containers. Then he pounces on them when they come out.
I'm sure that sounds like it could be just about any dragon anticipating dinner outside of their tank, but it's so dam cute to watch.

MastaPete

Original Poster
KarenInCA":19j9qtb7 said:
Pete- How big is Zoey now?
My name is actually Jacob :lol: my very first Dragons name was Pete but he was sick from the begining and passed away in a week I couldn't bounch him back ): but Zoey is about 9 1/2 inches she hasn't gotten any longer since I've had her but she's Gained around 6 grams

MastaPete

Original Poster
reptilemaster":1w7kg8fb said:
Awww :!: He's so cute in his little sleeping bag :D
I've got a snuggy for my dragon :)
Thank you! Basil is adorable too!! Love your thread I actually have a snuggly I never use and those are super soft maybe I'll cut it up into a blanket for Zoey!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
You can easily make a fleece hammock. I use two large equally cut out triangles and sew them together. Once they are sewn together I put grommets in the corners and hang them with command hooks. I get the grommet kits at home depot and they are really easy to put in. I also make the matching blankets and pillows with curtains for the sides of their tanks. Both of mine have 7 sets of hammocks, blankets, pillows and curtains each. As a side note I would try to lower the temp on your cool side to 75-80 as 85 is a bit warm for the cool side..mid tank should be 80-90 degrees giving you a nice gradient.
Here are a couple of the hammocks I have made for mine
The fleece set

animal print set

Winnie the pooh set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom