Zen habitats

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm considering getting a Zen Habitat for Sinatra. He is big enough now to need more room.
My dilemma is he absolutely LOVES looking out the window.
I can find 4x2x2's in glass but they are double the price.
My question is, would it be possible to substitute a glass panel in the back in place of the wood during assembly? Does anyone know approximately how thick that back panel is?
I'm capable of cutting the glass to size, but I've never assembled a Zen so I'm a little leery of buying it under the assumption it can be done.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I'm considering getting a Zen Habitat for Sinatra. He is big enough now to need more room.
My question is, would it be possible to substitute a glass panel in the back in place of the wood during assembly? Does anyone know approximately how thick that back panel is?
I'm capable of cutting the glass to size, but I've never assembled a Zen so I'm a little leery of buying it under the assumption it can be done.
I think it's worth calling or writing to the creators of this terrarium. I'm sure they can tell you the thickness and how to replace the panel with glass.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I saw how easy it is to assemble a Zen terrariums. I had the idea to make the walls myself from edge-glued panels(from oak) and connect them with furniture fasteners. I'm thinking about this idea now...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I've built a couple habitats.
The first was 6x3x3 i built it inside the apartment, when i moved i had to flip it on its end and it still BARELY went through the door. I was panicking lol. The other is a ferret nation cage i panaled and glassed in. That one works really well.
If you decide to build one, post pics of the progress and finished product. I love custom stuff.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can have the dragon facing a window so he can see out or have the tank sit on a wall w/ the window angled so he can see - that is how mine are set up --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Right now he has a hide made of sandstone, it's flat on top so he can file his nails, and perch on it, but it is also right in front of the window. It's by far his favorite place to sit. He is right in the window (about 1/3 of his habitat, i don't want to cook him) and I'm hoping to keep a similar setup. This dragon is super finicky and progress was slow with him, I'm kind of afraid of setting him back.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I've built a couple habitats.
The first was 6x3x3 i built it inside the apartment, when i moved i had to flip it on its end and it still BARELY went through the door. I was panicking lol. The other is a ferret nation cage i panaled and glassed in. That one works really well.
If you decide to build one, post pics of the progress and finished product. I love custom stuff.
Wow, looks like you have a lot of experience in building terrariums! I will definitely publish the progress of work and the final result. I am very interested in your opinion and the opinion of all respected forum participants.
I'm currently working on a home furniture project and once I'm done with that I'll start making a terrarium.
In the meantime, I’m just planning, making drawings and choosing materials. Initially, I wanted to choose a edge-glued panel from oak for the wall material, but I doubted that perhaps a 2-foot-wide panel would greatly change its dimensions depending on changes in humidity. This would greatly complicate the connection between walls with vertical wood fibers and horizontal ones. You probably understand what I'm talking about. This is a problem with all carpentry products, I think that I will take a carpentry panel as a basis (a edge-glued panel made of pine, covered with MDF) with subsequent veneering.
What material was your 6x3x3 terrarium made of?

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Maybe you could cut into the wood and give him a small little like glass peekhole

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Wow, looks like you have a lot of experience in building terrariums! I will definitely publish the progress of work and the final result. I am very interested in your opinion and the opinion of all respected forum participants.
I'm currently working on a home furniture project and once I'm done with that I'll start making a terrarium.
In the meantime, I’m just planning, making drawings and choosing materials. Initially, I wanted to choose a edge-glued panel from oak for the wall material, but I doubted that perhaps a 2-foot-wide panel would greatly change its dimensions depending on changes in humidity. This would greatly complicate the connection between walls with vertical wood fibers and horizontal ones. You probably understand what I'm talking about. This is a problem with all carpentry products, I think that I will take a carpentry panel as a basis (a edge-glued panel made of pine, covered with MDF) with subsequent veneering.
What material was your 6x3x3 terrarium made of?
I used a variety of lumber. It was framed with pine and trimmed out with cedar (that was back before i knew better) luckily i did seal it. I did the sashes in alder wood, that gave a nice contrast to the cedar. The doors were hinged and front opening. I used a screen kit from lowes or home depot for the top, it was recessed so hidden. I had a couple supports under it so it was the full 6x3 but still would support all the lights. It had two half width upper levels that over lapped in case she fell and the bottom was the full 6x3. She was a happy, spoiled dragon lol 😆

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Maybe you could cut into the wood and give him a small little like glass peekhole
If i go with the merridian model that's what I'll do, if i buy the original i can cut a glass panel and glass in the entire back. My dilemma is I'm moving soon and the original is harder to ta

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
If i go with the merridian model that's what I'll do, if i buy the original i can cut a glass panel and glass in the entire back. My dilemma is I'm moving soon and the original is harder to ta
Perhaps this video will help you decide how to install glass instead of a panel. Apparently, everything is assembled and disassembled very simply.
Even if you are using thinner glass, you can simply add some silicone sealant before installing the glass into the aluminum groove.

Last edited:

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
And I found this information here
In answer to the question "How much weight can an enclosure handle?"
zen.JPG

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you 🙂
I had actually seen those yesterday, thats how i determined the original can be replaced with glass. The Merridian comes with the panels pre-assembled so i don't know if i could do the same in that one. But he did mention in one video or another that the panels are 1/4" thick, so i could cut a window in and frame it out on the Merridian i think 🤔

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thank you 🙂
I had actually seen those yesterday, thats how i determined the original can be replaced with glass. The Merridian comes with the panels pre-assembled so i don't know if i could do the same in that one. But he did mention in one video or another that the panels are 1/4" thick, so i could cut a window in and frame it out on the Merridian i think 🤔
I like the Meridian. The frame and assembly method is much better.
If you already know how to effectively install glass inside a window in a panel (panel is quite thin), then you should choose Meridian, I think so.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom