Zeke Fatty Live Disease - Update w/ Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that doing the tube feeding twice a day is a lot for him and you to handle. Would probably be a good idea to get him to take some food orally each time too. Hope he starts improving very quickly.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm going to have just a bit of salad available in the tank every day to gauge where his appetite is at. The vet told me not to concern myself with live feeders until his appetite is back in full gear. He said that Zeke is going to waste a lot of food in the coming weeks and it might as well be the "cheap stuff". He said the Carnivore Care will take care of the bug part of his diet. The vet said that after a week of the tube feedings I could try offering baby food in a syringe again. Right now though the vet is a bit worried about overloading his system with food since he is greatly lacking in nutrition. So the improvement part of this is a lot farther away than either of us would like.

And if things weren't miserable enough, my guy is shedding. Its just a small spot, but that doesn't change the fact that there is more on the way. :( That is not going to make handling him for the tube feeding any easier.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had meant to try a little of the carnivore care on his nose, some beardies really like that. You're right, there is a lot of protein in it and it should help give him a boost. Just to warn you, his stool may get a little runny from it. Certainly don't want to over tax his system, poor guy.

Hope the shed doesn't both him too much, he certainly doesn't need a problem shed with all he's gone/is going through.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can definately give a little on the nose a shot. Maybe he'll surprise me and be willing to take a lot of the food on his own. The vet doesn't expect him to and neither do I, but we both thought he'd have passed away by now too. Zeke is just full of surprises.

Zeke's stool is already runny since the vet pushed so much water into his intestines when they first found out he is constipated.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Wow this thread has been busy. I'm happy to hear there was some good news. The vet must really be nice giving you the educational program fee. I wish you tons of luck on the tube feedings. May he recover faster than the expected. My heart tugs each time I think of how he is, I can't imagine you having to see it everyday. My thoughts are with you as well. Fight on Zeke!!!! Were here for you!

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet truly is amazing. Without him I think there is a very good chance Zeke would have passed away a few days after the initial trauma with the paper towel. He definately cares and the best part is he knows his stuff!

I promise, once Zeke is a healthier little guy I'll get a few photos of him up. You all have been so helpful and deserve to see the little guy you've helped!

Amy2

Hatchling Member
I am so happy to hear that Zeke's outlook is better :D I have been thinking about you and Zeke, wondering how you both are doing. I hope the tube feedings aren't too traumatic for either of you.. :wink:
I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
This will sound really crazy, but I thing I taught my dragons to lick by licking my own lips to give a visual example. I don't know if it was that or not, but they are all good lickers!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I just read your thread, poor Zeke and what both of you have been through . I hope you and your boy pull through just fine. Sounds like you got a great vet which helps a lot. I will keep reading and see how things go for you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent news you know what has been causing this. At least his throat has cleared up. I knew it had to be a secondary nutritional issue though, because it just did not fit any other profile that I could see. Did he do blood tests to determine that or just go by the x-ray pictures, etc, or by fluid analysis?
If he did a blood test, I would love to see a copy if possible.
I am glad he helped out so much!
I hope he is feeling better. Definitely continue with the probiotics for awhile.
I would also ask about Lactulose to help expedite & metabolize the excess fat to help his liver out.
Did he get a calcium booster too?

Tracie

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@Tracie
He went by x-rays and how slowly Zeke's body was metabolizing the sedative.

Zeke did get a calcium shot. When he was relaxed and sedated we were seeing a lot of muscles spasms. The vet explained that part of it is dizziness, part is the lack of calcium, and part was lack of nutrition. When Zeke is awake the muscle spasms are a lot more controlled so it is really hard to tell if he got any relief.

We just did our first tube feeding today. He is still processing the sedative so it was fairly easy. Once the tube is in place, Zeke pretty much settles down. It is getting his mouth open that is the hard part.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great I am glad that he did enough looking around that he found that.
The liver is sensitive & responsible for metabolizing fluids, food, so if it was sluggish there are problems. Was it also swollen looking on the x-rays too? If an ultrasound was used, they could probably see an enlargement of the liver also.
It is amazing what a simple thing will do, but it will cause loss of nutrient use in the body causing an array of trouble.

You have done phenomenal & Zeke is a lucky boy! I am so glad that you did not give up on him, it was process of elimination.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He explained that it looked different than it should in the x-ray, but didn't really explain exactly what was off about it. I honestly didn't really ask. I was more concerned with what the recovery entailed and how quickly Zeke would be back on his feet. Unfortunately I am leaving town for 10 days in three weeks and I know that Zeke will still be recovering by that point. (They are going to board him for me and provide whatever he needs at that point in time.)

Anyways, Zeke seemed to have some degree of energy today. He was up on his basking spot for most of the afternoon. He wasn't moving much and had his head down, but he woke easily so my guess is he wasn't entirely asleep. Unfortunately when 7:30pm rolled around the little guy seemed to get pretty sick to his stomach. He "threw up" through his nose a total of three times within about an hour. I'm not sure if it really counts as vomiting as he just dribbles a few drops out of his nose. Anyways, his beard darkened quite a bit after the first spell and remained dark until his lights turned off and he fell asleep. I wonder if the upset tummy comes on when his stomach is empty? I feed him shortly before his lights turn on, primarily so he isn't warm enough to give me a hard time. By the time the food is in him, his lights have turned on so he can start warming up. So I imagine a lot of the food is out of his stomach by that time in the evening? Just a thought.

He refused to take the probiotic today. I'll keep trying, but I'm not sure how much luck I will have.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Make sure when you feed him later in the day, that he has 2 or so hours prior to his lights going out to digest his food.
Poor guy, he must be worn out though with all of this activity & schedule changes right now.
I hope he fares well at the vets & that they take good care of him while you are gone. I am sure you will be thinking & worrying about him the entire time though. I know I would be.
Is his beard looking better today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom