You'll be proud.....& a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
We have only had our dragon lincoln for a week and the past 2 days.......yes I said TWO days I fed him the crickets all by my self!!! Haha :lol: 8) I made my husband do it everytime, you would see me jumping around him saying, "Don't lose one!!! Don't lose one!!!" you might have heard a shreek or two I am not going to lie. Uck I hate those buggers!! I Even dropped one and was quick to figure out how to catch it without touching it. Seriously I am not a wimp. I swear. :mrgreen:

Going to stop embarrassing myself and on to my question. :p Since I have a hatred of all thing cricket I was thinking about buying reptiworms and butterworms with possibly a supplement of cricket once a week or less to mix it up a bit.

My questions are: when you use the reptiworms and butterworms when should you use them? Should you do Repti one day, Butter the next? And since the they have a higher level of CAl do you still need to dust with the Ca or just do the vita dust once a week.
Lincoln is about 9mths.
Not really sure why I think I will have a better time with maggots but it's worth a shot atleast they won't be jumping at me ready to ATTACK!! :twisted:

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
One more question. When we make a change over it probably should be a gradual change, right?

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know how big your dragon is, but repti worms don't get very large and are quite pricey. Butter worms also aren't recommended as a staple. Have you thought about Dubia? Or maybe a mix of superworms and Dubia?

With the repti-worms, you are correct in that you don't need to supplement them with calcium, but I could totally see Charlie eating 150+ of them in one sitting, and my wallet would not enjoy that.

ZanyAmy

As stated above, neither are a good staple. I would recommend phoenix worms. Also, to keep from touching crickets (I HATE THEM) I bought a cricket tank with little removable tubes (found at any pet store). The crickets go into the dark tubes and then i take out the entire tube and shake it into a ziplock bag (with dust if necessary). If there are too many, they go from the bag back to the tube. Then I shake the bag out inside the cage and my beardie goes hunting! If that's still too much contact for you, I would definitely say to look into phoenix worms. This website : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html will tell you what's good for them and what's not. Good Luck!

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Phoenixworms and reptiworms are the same black soldier fly larvae, just a different trade mark. I fed my bearded dragon reptiworms for a lot of his lifetime, crickets were a pain, always arrive DOA and wouldn't stay alive, they smell horrid and have been known to carry pinworms (although this is debatable). Dubia are great but I think they would skeeve you out more than crickets. The little ones are kinda cute though. Butters can't be used as a staple. If your bearded dragon is over 16" then you can give him superworms and crix and dubia all throughout the week. I personally prefer reptis, however my dragon devours them, but it's well worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom