Yellow fungus? Infection? Retained shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Today I found him with an open wound where the blackened scales were. I think the blackened scales fell off while he was rubbing his face around to get off the ones he's currently shedding. There's blood, it's a little bit sunken in, and smooth. It doesn't look like scales there at all. I've accepted that it's not a good sign and I'm afraid it's fungus. What else could it be? I'll be taking him in on Tuesday.

86153-8974531446.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Y.F. usually looks crusty, uneven, thick. That really doesn't look like any Y.F. I've seen in any pics at all. He just rubbed the scales off.....and the honey will do good on that little sore. That's not Y.F. and doesn't need vet attention but I know you're concerned. Try not to worry too much, that will be fine.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Really? I just can't look at that and not worry, especially because I've been reading a lot--which doesn't help someone like me who is already paranoid as is. I've been reading that the scales slough off to reveal smooth, ulcerated areas. That during that stage of the disease (when it begins showing) they shed excessively--which I have wondered about since he basically sheds back to back to back (I know younguns like him do too, though). That they can be depressed and have changing bodily functions--he hasn't been pooping normally and he has been hiding more. I don't know. The fact that you think it's not much is good because from searching posts here I know you have tons of experience with them.

I deeply care about and for all of my animals, though. They're my kids because I hate human children, so I feel awful for them. I've had animals die from all sorts of diseases including big ones like cancer, so the thought of his having something like YF is like torture for me. I know it's treatable to a certain extent but I also know they generally don't live long, can suffer throughout the process, and that the meds themselves cause liver and kidney issues, which only makes them more miserable. The thought alone of putting him through all that just to selfishly keep him going (should it be something that bad) makes me sick.

Hopefully it's nothing too bad but I find my pessimism or realism depending on whom you ask helps me prepare.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know about the pain of losing pets, and yes, it can be like torture thinking of all the things that can happen. I'm sure though, that's not Y.F. He had a slight irritation there, then the betadine + peroxide probably stung + made it itchy, then he rubbed it . That made it sting /itch some more and he rubbed a scale or two off. That's all. I've had all sorts of knicks + cuts on my dragons, never Y.F, but some a bit raw that healed up just fine. That will, too. Don't dig around for a biopsy or anything, he will be O.K. Raw honey will help !

I know some personality types have to fight hard not to see possible trouble everywhere [ as with losing your pets ] and it does stem from real losses as you said you've had. But try to resist that and enjoy the ones you have.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I can relate to your worry. I recently had my dragon biopsied to test for YF. Test came back negative. As far as your dragon acting off, that can be a residual from the meds he was on. I have two dragons and both at times don't act as "normal" as I think they should. Daisy ( 1 yr) stopped eating and started hiding. Did all the tests and nothing. Ultrasound showed no eggs. Her latest hiding and not eating episode, which lasted a couple of weeks, was a result of pre-shed stress.

Little Dragon was the one I had the biopsy on. Well he is around 7 months and he lays down under his branch pretty much everyday from 1 pm to bedtime. His fecal last week came back clean. Just one of those things.

I believe that as owners provide better care with more enriched environments, we will observe natural behaviors that may seen worrisome to us. In the wild, wouldn't a dragon bask but then during the hottest part of the day seek shelter (i.e. a hide, under a branch, hang out in the cooler side of cage)? However, to us this behavior looks like lethargy and makes us think the dragon is sick when more than likely it is just natural behavior.

Anyway, I don't play around with YF but I agree with AHBD that this doesn't resemble it. I too read about the rapid sheds as being a sign but the literature never says a sign for what age group..it has to be for an adult dragon because young ones can finish a shed and shortly show signs of building up for another one. The exposed skin related to YF happens as the disease progresses and is an ulceration. But there are steps that proceed it. Discolored brown or yellow spot(s), which may or may not have rapid spread, shed with reduction of spot coloration, spots reappear and progress to become crusty, sheds become more frequent, crusty spots partially shed, spots become crustier and crust comes off to reveal ulceration and diseased progresses further in towards organs.I don't see that progression in yours.

It could have been retained shed that was irritated by the peroxide and your dragon could of been rubbing his head on objects to get the shed off and scraped himself.

Now that the skin is exposed on his nose, the honey should really help. My vet uses raw manuka honey and said sometimes it works too fast (depending on if wound needs more time to drain, I suppose). I would continue applying it and give it a few days.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Thank you both. I'll use the raw honey I posted in here because I unfortunately don't have Manuka honey. Hopefully it works.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
So I found three Manuka honeys that may be near me. Are any of these ok? If so, which one is better? I'm clueless.

86153-8853053604.jpg

86153-7057539345.jpg

86153-339257946.jpg

Also, when I came home tonight, his wound looked clean and dry--like it was done "draining." It looked like it does when it's going to scab over. Hopefully that is indeed the case. I want to try to get Manuka honey tomorrow rather than use the other one I have. I'm feeling optimistic.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can just use what you have in your home, it's all antimicrobial. Manuka honey is touted as the best but I've used regular raw honey and it heals things quickly , very amazing. If you want the Manuka, I don't know at all what the difference is in those 3, they're probably all very good + do the same job but since Manuka has become so popular every company is going to label it differently to get in on the game. :)

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/manuka-honey-medicinal-uses

BACTERIAL DISEASES AND INFECTIONS
Manuka Honey

Manuka honey is produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the native manuka bush. Advocates say it treats wound infections and other conditions.

WebMD takes a look at what the science says about using manuka honey as a medicine.

Healing Power of Honey
Honey has been used since ancient times to treat multiple conditions. It wasn't until the late 19th century that researchers discovered that honey has natural antibacterial qualities.manuka honey

Honey protects against damage caused by bacteria. Some honey also stimulates production of special cells that can repair tissue damaged by infection. In addition, honey has an anti-inflammatory action that can quickly reduce pain and inflammation once it is applied.

But not all honey is the same. The antibacterial quality of honey depends on the type of honey as well as when and how it's harvested. Some kinds of honey may be 100 times more potent than others.

Components of Manuka Honey
Hydrogen peroxide is a component of honey. It gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types of honey, including manuka honey, also have other components with antibacterial qualities.

Another antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound -- dihydroxyacetone -- that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers.

MG is thought to give manuka honey some of its antibacterial power. The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect. But, there may also be other compounds involved in the medicinal effect of manuka honey.

Honey producers have developed a scale for rating the potency of manuka honey. The rating is called UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor.

The UMF rating is thought to correspond with the concentration of MG and other compounds. Not all honey labeled as manuka honey contains significant levels of antibacterial factors. To be considered potent enough to be therapeutic, manuka honey needs a minimum rating of 10 UMF. Honey at or above that level is marketed as "UMF Manuka Honey" or "Active Manuka Honey."

You are looking for a manuka honey that has a UMF factor of 10+.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Daisy, you are always good for doing research . :) I read those claims too, but here's the thing. [ And this is not for an arguement at all ] The Manuka company can not and has not tested all honey produced around the world. They are on to a good thing promoting honey as a medicine, and of course would like to corner the market but I can tell you that all raw honey is going to work....I've used it for cuts on myself as well as my dragons. It is 100% impossible for them to test all honeys, and who is to say that the honey grown in state X in the U.S. doesn't have a higher concentration of this or that. So, in conclusion.....any raw honey will work, but if you want to go with Manuka , that's fine. But YOUR [ Jennifer ] honey will heal the wound just as well.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Can I leave the honey on the next day? It goes on at night but in the morning and throughout the day I don't want it heating up on his snout and causing a burn or something.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It will be fine left on. Sometime you can wash it off as you soak him and put new on top. Really, if you feel better washing it off [ rinsing without scrubbing the nose ] then go ahead but it should not cause any burn, I never saw any burns even on my silkie when I put it on his snout when he had a slight sore. :)

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Great, thanks! His sore looks dry now. Like the beef jerky look. So I'm assuming that's good because it's drying and scabbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom