Year old check in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Sobek is officialy 1 year old and i wanted to check in and make sure hes healthy and a good size hes my oldest beardie so the care i give him is what care red and tango (my younger dragons) will get anyway lets get in to it

His bask spot is 110 and his warm side is 90 and cool side is 85 to 75 depending on what the tempature of the house is. We have him on a zilla halogen mini and a long uvb i think is also a zilla
His cage is 36 long 12 wide and 18 tall, it will be soon upgrated to 4ft by 2ft by 2ft as a dream house
His salads have kale dandelion blueberrys or rasberrys or blackberrys he gets a small sobek sized salad 2 to 3 times a week times a week and every other day that he doesnt eat salad he gets hornworms lg crickets, dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae wich if youve never tried are wonderfull food
He has a reptile carpet bottom with a flukers water resivour next to that is a pile of rocks that i broke up and took of the sharp edges so he cant cut himself. He basks on a large driftwood and a zoomed reptile hammock. He looks happy and healthy from beardie knowledge but i will post some pics.
Any advice will help, positive or negitive dont be afraid to share it!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would give salads every day instead of every other day --- insects 2-3 times per week and change out the Zilla bulbs - especially the UVB - I would go w / a Reptisun 10.0 bulb or an Arcadia 12 or 14 % bulbs if you go w/ the 14% bulb it should be 24" for distance as they are very strong - the 12% is like the T 5 and should be 12-15 inches from basking decor inside the tank --- No cover on this bulbs ---- other than that it is a suggestion --- the 4x2x2 tank is what I am using along w/ the 14% Arcadia and I have it at the top of the screen inside the tank --- here is a website for distance for those bulbs
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/

I almost forgot Happy Birthday Sobek :)
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so.i checked the light and the fixture is zilla the light bar itself is a zilla reptisun 10.0 the log itself is alittle less than a foot away from the light. When he eats he doesnt get wider instead he makes himself thin and his belly drag on the floor wich is why we dont feed every day because he keeps making himself fat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What bulb is in there? Is it a T 5 or a T 8 --- distance matters on the bulbs --- look on the bulb it will say T 5 or T 8
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The skinny pic is what i was talking about when he eatsbut 5 mins later he looks like the pic on the egg carton wich is normal

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Enclosure looks good for the most part--glad you'll be upgrading to a 4x2x2.
Temps look good; how's the humidity?

He looks a little thin to me (Either that, or I have a fat lizard... :p )
I agree with offering salad every day (not necessarily with berries all the time) but a small variety of fresh (as possible) leafy greens. Good variety of feeders.

Personally, I'm not crazy about "reptile carpet" substrate, but that's me (I'm a tile advocate). That said, the carpet is far better than any loose particle substrate. How's the cleaning & odor situation?
Some articles on substrates explain the pros & cons of each (as long as you're upgrading :wink: ).
The Best (And Safest) Substrates for Bearded Dragons
Choosing The Best Substrate for a Bearded Dragon
Choosing the Best Substrate for Bearded Dragons (I find the table particularly useful)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
From the way the pic is I would get a piece of decor and place under that UVB - at this point it looks as if he cant get to it --- and it being a T 8 it should either be in the tank or the basking decor should be 6-8 inches from light --- right now hes getting very little UVB or none at all ---- I personally would get it in the tank --- beings its gonna be better for him --- and it should be 8-10 inches from basking decor
to me your dragon looks skinny and I would get that UVB moved and his appetite will increase -- at this point I am surprised hes eating --- he needs that UVB to absorb the calcium in his body--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom