Wouldn't 60 to 100 crickets a day be overfeeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that 15 minute thing and eats 60 crickets a day! Do they really need that much a day? I heard feeding 60 crickets a day can lead to leg paralysis and they can actually explode as my friends Bearded Dragon did! :shock:

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
Dragonman555":1d3zrd5n said:
I did that 15 minute thing and eats 60 crickets a day! Do they really need that much a day? I heard feeding 60 crickets a day can lead to leg paralysis and they can actually explode as my friends Bearded Dragon did! :shock:

beardies very rarely overeat. they'll stop hunting when they're full so unless they have something wrong with their insides i highly doubt they could kill themselves by eating too many crickets. :p he's just growing! :p

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Did your friends bearded dragon really explode due to overeating? Because they can't overeat. They know when their belly is full. But I like to feed Nim as much as he can eat in 10 minutes. Unless your dragon is really slow with catching crickets 15 minutes sounds like too much time. And 60 crickets is perfectly fine. Just so long as they are the size of the space between the eyes he should be fine. And if your dragon is still young, like below 6 months I believe, then 60 crickets is just excellent. That means he will grow up into one healthy dragon. Hope this helps. :D

My Little RaJa ate about 85 crix yesterday, When he is done he doesn't chase them anymore.. he knows when he is full... you shouldnt worry, it's just a growing beardie with a healthy appetite! As long as they are the right size... it's all good!

Dragonman555

Original Poster
TheWerewolf":3busqxtr said:
Did your friends bearded dragon really explode due to overeating? Because they can't overeat. They know when their belly is full. But I like to feed Nim as much as he can eat in 10 minutes. Unless your dragon is really slow with catching crickets 15 minutes sounds like too much time. And 60 crickets is perfectly fine. Just so long as they are the size of the space between the eyes he should be fine. And if your dragon is still young, like below 6 months I believe, then 60 crickets is just excellent. That means he will grow up into one healthy dragon. Hope this helps. :D
Not from overeating crickets or food but he was also eating the Woodchips which was his substrate needless to say this Dragon didn't know when to stop eating and would eat ANYTHING! :shock:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not from overeating crickets or food but he was also eating the Woodchips which was his substrate needless to say this Dragon didn't know when to stop eating and would eat ANYTHING!
That actually wasn't the beardies mistake, it was the owners mistake for having wood chips as the substrate. Beardies are very curious and will taste just about anything. Crickets will hide in wood chips and perhaps that's where they were so the beardie was trying to catch them. Or, perhaps your friend made the mistake of NOT feeding him enough so he was still very hungry.

When under 1 yr old, they need LOTS of protein to help them grow into adulthood, if they don't get enough of it, they won't be healthy later on. How old is your beardie?

Moved here from General Discussion forum since it is about feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom