Would this design be ok to use for a bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liekey89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnIBIeoHjv4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Right now my beardie is in a 55 gal tank. She's only about 9 inches so it works for now but she will need a more appropriate size for when she is full grown. She is plenty happy in the 55 and in good health. I got it for free and knew it was a temporary tank. As I was checking out designs for building my own viv I came across this video and was wondering if it would be ok to use something like this for a beardie. I use a MVB for my heat and UVB in one. This avoids the hassle of having to mount a tube in the tank.

Do you guys think it would be safe to use this design in place of the standard melamine or plywood design? Size wise I would still go with approximately 4x2x2. My biggest concern would be the potential of her getting to the foam and digging into it but I think with the tile that problem would be sorted out.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The whole tank is made of Styrofoam? Including sides/ceiling? If so, no.

Spend the couple extra 10 bucks and use wood. Even plywood would make a better siding IMO than Styrofoam.

-Brandon

SnowDog

You could build an enclosure out of Melamine for under 200 bucks and your Dragon wouldn't be able to dig out of it like that one.

dom1959

i watched the vid and i don't see any way a beardie is gonna scratch thru the tile.
he would never touch the styrofoam imo.
i think it is a very smart idea and hope more opinions are shared on this build.

jxl22

beardies hate the type of flooring that they used in that.

Bought that instead of slate by accident and my BD hates it. need to grab some slate soon.

I agree that dragons need something better than adhesive tiles for a substrate. They need to be able to get traction, and imo the best look and function is natural slate tile. By that I mean the kind that is uncoated and rough that people use for outdoor spaces. I got the tile cheap from Lowe's and they were even able to cut them for me. They are heavy, so be careful when putting them in if you have a thin glass tank. Mine is 1/2" thick so I haven't had any issues. The rest of the design is interesting, but I'd stick with a crossfire or other similar design. Any type of wood would be more sturdy. Keep researching and find what's best for you and your skill/time/money.

I would say NO. The reason being the high temps needed for a beardie would cause the glue on the tile to "sweat" and the fumes from the glue are toxic to the bearded...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom