Would just like to introduce myself and tell my story :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gogzieboy

Hello everyone, my names Gogz. I'm from Aberdeenshire in Scotland :) and decided that I wanted to get started into the world of BD's after seeing them in the Aberdeen pets at home store. I was absolutely fascinated by them and don't usually take to reptiles or pets of that type but I was told that these are one of the best reptiles pets to have that are family friendly. So I went home and decided to go home and do some research on them and keeping them as I have no experience with reptiles. I then went online to see which type of enclosure, lighting etc is needed for them. I have done about 4 weeks of research nearly night. I went to my local library, took out books, checked sites and YouTube videos where I found the link to this site and then signed up. I think I'm ready now to take a bearded dragon home but I plan to get everything I need set up and left set up for a week before taking one home. I have a list of everything I need to buy written down and prices, right down to vitamins and calcium. The problem now is saving the money for it all! But I'm learning while I wait continually thanks to the information and conversation you guys have, so thank you all for that.. And hopefully soon I will be introducing my beardie when I get set up and the BD home! :)

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
that's great that your doing thorough research before getting 1!!!!! ordering things online will save you lots of money (especially for the lights).

rsmit02

I just had to say hello I am from Inverness but currently living in NJ USA I have 2 bearded dragons and they are the most awesome pets ever. It is great your doing your research first it will save you a ton of money re buying stuff. Knowing what your working with at home my best advice would be going to Home Base and getting some tiles or lino off cuts for the tank floor perfect for dragons and clean up. Also you will find there a temp gun for much cheaper than the pet store. Another thing you will find there cheap is feed dishes a terracotta ceramic flower pot saucer they have tons of sizes and they are just the right hight to hold a salad but let a beardie climb in. You can also get your basking bulb any strong watt bulb and clip on lamp will do just keep the reciepts till your sure you have the right watt bulb to get basking spot to 40 to 43 degrees C. Tescos is another place you may find the lamps and bulbs cheap. As for the tank try looking for a second hand one much cheaper esp as it doesn't need to hold water so sometimes people sell old fish tanks cheap. As for tank decor head to the beach an large bit of drift wood and a big rock into oven for 20 mins on 200 and its sterile for tank and free!

I miss home sometimes! I miss cadburys all the time lol good luck hope you get your beardie soon and please feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

Ruth xx

great to see you've invested in a BD. i bought one myself two days ago :) just wondering if any of you guys knew if just 3-4 crickets three time a day is enough for a 4-6 month dragon who doesn't seem interested in food? also the basting light is installed horizontally but he seems to like standing on his rock towards the middle of his cage. the cold end if around 75 and the rock closer to the basking light is in the high 90's. is this ok? also how do you feed by hand? i held a wax worm right next to him but he wasn't interested. just like the rest of his food :(
any help would be great, thanks
Richey x

i have three strip thermometers. i hear the aren't accurate but i know a few people who say they work fine. it's reads around 93-95

Tropic

well they have these thermometers that have probes, this is so you can lay the probe on the actual basking spot because thats what is most important, it is usually warmer than the floor and walls of the cage, but if it isnt at least 98-105 which was the lowest ive ever had mine, you may want to buy a stronger light, and don't ever buy a heat pad, beardies cannot feel heat well under their bellies and heat pads will burn them.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I would get a digital prob thermometer they are about $10 at Petsmart. Those stick on ones can be off as much as 10 degrees.

NikTait

Hatchling Member
Hi Gogz - I am a fellow Aberdonian!

I've just gotten my first Beardie - have you made any progress with yours? If you do, be sure to keep a blog so I can check how your little guy/girl is getting on in this cold city. Right now, mine is sitting at the window watching seagulls fight over bread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom