Would a small amount of iceburg lettuce help with impaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDsDream

my beardie has beeen acting and eating fine although he is not a fan of anything that does not move on it's own i.e. vegetables. We had him out today and he suddenly seemed to seize up and started breathing heavy. We put him back into his enclosure and noticed that he has some temporary paralysis in his hind legs. He can still use them but we did see him dragging them for a short walk. I know that iceburg lettuce is not nutricious but could it help with the impaction? It's Christmas day and a vet who specializes is no where to be found.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin will help along with a few drops of olive oil. Have you tried a warm soak and massaging the side of his body down to the vent area?

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
im so sorry. give him afew SMALL drops of olive oil with a syringe, and very warm baths up to his elbows. for 20 minutes 3 times a day. He should poop. what where you feeding him? superworms are hard to digest, so only give crickets. Whats his set up like?

JDsDream

Original Poster
I'm really worried now, He just had some kind of seizure and flipped over on his side with his mouth wide open. He will tilt his head back until his nose is straight up and his back is almost a u shape, He then settlrd back down but still doesn't seem to be able to use his back legs. This is technically my 18 year old daughters BD but he loved by the entire family. He is well taken care of, but I fear she may have given him too many mealworms.

JDsDream

Original Poster
I have given him a small amount of olive oil and have massaged him. He is soaking in his water now

wizbee

Juvie Member
Please don't leave him alone in the water. Let us know if he poops. Poor thing I am so sorry for you.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
how old is he? whats his tank like? lights? uvb? temps both sides? how close can he get tothe uvb? substrate? NO MORE WORMS, of any kind. or roaches. The crickets you feed him should be no biggerthan the space between the eyes and only give him as many as he can eat within 10 minutes, take the rest out as they can bite.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
if he has any hides in his tank take them out. take out anything that he can fall from if he has a seizure. Its probably going to be a hard night, keep checking him every little while during the night. With the help ofthe oil, he should poop within the next day or 2.

JDsDream

Original Poster
I don't know if we are out of the woods yet, but he did deficate. I will get to the vet in the am just to make sure that impaction is what we are dealing with. Oh and while I was checking for responses my daughter was with him. He is pretty much under constant survellience with her and even more so now. Please rest assured that we would never leave him unattended in the water. He one of our babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom