Worst Experience with Zilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
This is just a [very long] rant, and wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing with Zilla directly??

I emailed Zilla yesterday asking for advice on what size mesh top I would use [from them] to replace my 36x18 ExoTerra top since I'm not impressed with ExoTerra's top/strength(my cat keeps jumping on it and the mesh can't hold the weight, which I wouldn't expect anyways but I'm getting tired of working around the T-Bars. I explained all of this in the Email and indicated I was looking for an alternative from their company)

Instead of giving me a straight answer on 'this is the top you want, though I'm not sure if it's compatible' which would have been acceptable for me;

I got a 'Our tops are not compatible with Exo-Terra, you need to order a replacement from Exo-Terra or make your own. Sorry'

and when I asked 'Okay...You're telling me there are no 36x18 tops that I can order made by Zilla that MIGHT work for my Viv, despite being told from the Herp Community that Zilla Lids work with Exo-Terra?'

'Yes that's what I'm telling you, You would need to order from an authorized retailer anyways because we do not sell directly to customers and ship directly to them, we are a factory.'

I ended the email chain informing the gentleman I was looking for a professional opinion and was looking to support their company because I was obviously unimpressed with the product I had received from Exo-Terra. And that I wasn't looking to order from them, but instead at least support their company in some way by ordering through a retailer. But that I wasn't going to anymore because of the unprofessional attitude and terrible customer service I had received in 2 emails.

Holy. I was incredibly unimpressed with the entire exchange! I work in Customer Service-specifically the Pet Food/Supply Market. When I have customers come in that are in a bind and looking for alternatives, I give them as many as I can come up with in a short amount of time from many different manufactures that could even slightly work for their situation. I explain all the pros and cons for everything and work through the incredible amount of information in a short period of time. Because that is what you do. That is what I expect as a customer going anywhere with questions, no matter it food, clothes or otherwise. And I'm not a hard customer to please-answer my questions, if you can't, tell me that and then give me to someone else that can. Be polite. Be as thorough as possible. That's all you need to do.

And I as a customer was VERY thorough with my problem straight up because it is a niche thing, I explained my challenges I was having, and what I was looking for. Instead I was told 'to bad so sad we can't help you'.

I just really needed to rant...I've been sitting on this all day and can't believe it. I won't be buying from Zilla at all, not after that exchange.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of customer service from Zilla, Zoo Med or Exo-Terra before? Or any other Herp Specialized Manufacturer/Retailer? I'd also love to see the great experiences as well-who went above and beyond to help you, and why?

I am thinking that they told you this in order to protect themselves in the event that anything went wrong with what you may purchase. Being as you would be using something that "might work" in your situation. If they told you "yes, such and such would be a perfect match for your other brand viv and say your cat got in or something worse, they in a sense could be held liable for providing you information for an item that was not made exactly to be compatible with what you have. Although it seems it would have been just as easy to simply tell you that they do not manufacture or carry a universal screen top. Then it would have been simple as that. It's butt covering. I get it. The way things are nowadays they kind of have to be that way. Still they should have been professional and nice about it, not so blunt and rude.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I know it was butt covering-and I agree it really lacked professionalism hence why I'm angry about it.

But it also could have been as simple as 'this is the top that might fit, but we can not guarantee it will fit or will work in your situation let alone withstand the weight of a cat on top of it.' If it also didn't fit or my cat got up there and it broke, that's my problem and I know that as well. I honestly don't expect any mesh tops to withstand a cat jumping up onto it.

Right now we might be looking at getting a plexiglass cover to put on top of the mesh for 1/2-3/4 of it with holes drilled every inch or two to allow ventilation. But it's really expensive, 120 dollars for that. For now we're just locking up the kitty offender in another room when no one is home.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
At Petco they have 40g lids that have a bar running across (36" way) and it has heavy duty mesh. My cat has jumped on it many a time and has done diddily squat to it.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
I don't see any problems with what they've told you :shock: Its not like they were rude.. Like they said, they are not a store, but a factory, so they are not going to bother with looking for screen for one customer its just going to be costly for them. You are better off going to pet stores to find your lid, rather than contacting manufacturers. Its business.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Except you missed the point of the post...I wanted their advice. Not for them to trollop around trying to find a product for me. When you contact ANY company directly with questions about the product they make they should be able to help and give answers. I have contacted and worked with many manufacturers withpet food and supplies and they have all been Iincredible answering questions I have. Something as simple as 'do you sell a 36x18 mesh top?' Should be something very simple to answer. But apparently it wasnt.

primal

I also don't see anything wrong with their response. First off, they are not responsible for knowing Exo-Terra's products. You can't expect them to know what products even MIGHT fit. That would be like calling up Dell computers and asking them if any laptop shells MIGHT fit your HP laptop. Secondly, there is the liability issue. Although you may not do this, if they were to tell you that, "Zilla Product X will work perfectly with Exo-Terra Product Y," and it doesn't and leads to an escaped reptile, they could potentially be held liable. To continue with the computer analogy, that would be like calling up HP tech support to ask a question about your Dell laptop. The guy may know something that MIGHT work, but there's no way in heck they're going to risk the liability.

My suggestion to you would be to do your own research since Zilla isn't, and shouldn't, be responsible for researching way to retrofit their products onto their competitors' products. Grab a tape measure and make some measurements. Heck, ask this "Herp Community" for advice, since apparently the research has already been done anyway.

Indeed, your rant was just that, a rant. I think your expectations were flawed. They told you that they can't answer your question (and that NO ONE could), but you weren't happy with that answer. That's life sometimes.

BTW, did you bother to go to their website? Because they have all their toppers listed with measurements.

BBTrucker

my local pet supplies plus always has all kinds of lids. stocked up of all kinds of sizes. and i have a 60gal mesh top viv that locks into place. and i bet another lid like that might b hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom