Worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently got my baby beardie and when i brought him home, he was eating well and pooping well. But now, he only eats 3-4 crickets at a time and never eats veggies unless i hand feed them to him and very rarely he'd give in and eat them still. He still poops well but it's not as soild as it use to be, its still a solid shape but it's still kinda runny. Should i take him to the vet?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're dealing with issues already, but better you get everything straightened out early on than let it go on. We'll need you to answer some questions about your beardie and his enclosure, lighting, and temperatures, along with posting some photos of both him and his setup.

First of all, don't worry about him not eating any greens or veggies, most baby and juvenile beardies don't. If they do it's a bonus, but for the first year of their lives they need lots of good live protein from quality feeder insects, only live ones, like crickets, roaches, Phoenix Worms/Calciworms/Reptiworms/BSFL (all the same thing), or silkworms because they're doing most of their growing. Once they get over a year old they will slowly switch from wanting mostly live insects to mostly greens. But for the first year he needs 3 feeding sessions a day where he is allowed to eat as many live feeder insects as he wants to in a 10-15 minute period. So don't worry about the greens.

How long have you had him now? Most beardies go through a bit of relocation stress for the first week or two, some more than others, where they won't eat or bask, they hide a lot and sleep a lot, and don't like to be handled. So if you've only had him for a week or less than this is most likely the cause.

Having an appropriate UVB light is the most important purchase you'll make for your beardie, as they have very specific UVB requirements and there are limited bulbs out there that are actually adequate for bearded dragons, most UVB lights that are labeled for bearded dragons are not adequate. Without a proper UVB light he cannot make vitamin D3, cannot absorb any Calcium or other nutrients or nutrition, will become lethargic and lose his appetite, and develop bone density issues like MBD. You never want to buy any lights that are coiled bulbs, they cause a lot of issues with their eyes and skin, and are not strong enough to emit enough UVB for them. Compact bulbs for the most part are also inadequate UVB lights for beardies. They need long flourescent UVB tubes which require a long flourescent tube fixture. They must be at least 10% UVB tubes, we recommend the Reptisun 10.0 UVB tubes (never 5.0), and the Arcadia 12% tubes. They both come in different strengths, the Reptisun 10.0 is either a T8 or the much stronger T5 High-Output UVB tube, the main differences are that the 10.0 T8 cannot penetrate a mesh lid so it must be mounted inside the enclosure and must be within 8" of your beardie on his basking spot unobstructed, while the 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB can penetrate a mesh lid so it can sit on top of a mesh lid and must be within 11" of your beardie on his basking spot. The T8 must be replaced every 6 months, while the T5 High-Output must be replaced every year, even though they will still emit light and appear to be working, they emit no UVB light after those time periods. UVB cannot ever penetrate glass, no matter how strong, so no glass lids!

What UVB light are you using (brand, model, type of bulb)? Is it mounted inside the tank or sitting on top of a lid of some kind? Is there any clear plastic cover over the bulb on the fixture? How far away is the bulb from your beardie's basking spot? Does the fixture have a reflector?

What type of bulb are you using as a basking bulb (brand, wattage, is it compact or coiled, color?)

Beardies see in color, so colored bulbs of any kind can cause them issues with their vision. The only type of basking bulb (also called a daylight bulb) you want to use is a bright white bulb, no soft white or frosted white, and no blue, yellow, green, red, infrared, etc. No special reptile basking bulb is necessary, most of us use regular bright white household halogen bulbs, or regular household halogen indoor flood bulbs.

Have you measured the temperatures inside his enclosure yet? What is the temperature on his basking spot, on the Hot Side of the enclosure (surrounding the basking spot), and on the opposite Cool Side of the enclosure? What type of thermometer are you using to measure his temps?

Those cheap, round, gauge thermometers that all of the kits come with are literally worthless, they can be off as much as 20 degrees and most are. Also, it is impossible to measure the temperature of the basking spot with one of those. You need to buy either a temperature gun, or even better are the digital thermometers that have a probe on a wire that you can move right to specific spots in his tank to get accurate temperatures. They cost only $8-$9, and I use 2 of them in each enclosure, one I keep zip tied to the basking spot, the other I use to measure the Hot and Cool Sides by simply moving the probe. Remember, it's very important that you allow the probe to sit for 20-30 minutes before reading the temperature, and you must do this each time you move it. Without proper temps inside his enclosure, your beardie cannot digest his food and cannot find a place to cool down. Proper temperature zones for a baby are:

Basking Spot (baby/juvenile): between 105-110 absolute maximum, (subadults/adult): 100-103

Hot Side (ambient on basking spot side): between 88-93

Cool Side: between 75-80 absolute maximum for him to be able to cool down

Nighttime Temperature: They need it to cool down in order to sleep comfortably, just like it does in the desert. Most people need no nighttime heat source at all. As long as the ambient temperature in the enclosure at night is at 65 degrees or above, you absolutely need no nighttime heat source at all.

If for some reason your house drops below 60 degrees at night (remember, his enclosure is warmer than your house, so if your house is at 60, his enclosure temp is fine), you never want to use any type of light as a nighttime heat source. Again, most people need no nighttime heat source, but if his enclosure drops below 65 degrees at night, you'll want to use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE), which is a coiled black piece of iron that screws into a regular lightbulb fixture. It emits heat but no light. Never use any colored lights or even white lights at night, no infrared, red, black, "moonlight", blue, green, yellow, purple, etc.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

Here's my Cheat Sheet :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

If you work through it methodically , the chances are there are likely a lot of issues that need to be tweeked or changed and they will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help. Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

Simonthecheeto

Original Poster
EllenD":27nug41i said:
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're dealing with issues already, but better you get everything straightened out early on than let it go on. We'll need you to answer some questions about your beardie and his enclosure, lighting, and temperatures, along with posting some photos of both him and his setup.

First of all, don't worry about him not eating any greens or veggies, most baby and juvenile beardies don't. If they do it's a bonus, but for the first year of their lives they need lots of good live protein from quality feeder insects, only live ones, like crickets, roaches, Phoenix Worms/Calciworms/Reptiworms/BSFL (all the same thing), or silkworms because they're doing most of their growing. Once they get over a year old they will slowly switch from wanting mostly live insects to mostly greens. But for the first year he needs 3 feeding sessions a day where he is allowed to eat as many live feeder insects as he wants to in a 10-15 minute period. So don't worry about the greens.

How long have you had him now? Most beardies go through a bit of relocation stress for the first week or two, some more than others, where they won't eat or bask, they hide a lot and sleep a lot, and don't like to be handled. So if you've only had him for a week or less than this is most likely the cause. Ive had him for about a week but like i said earlier, he's been doing fine and acting well

Having an appropriate UVB light is the most important purchase you'll make for your beardie, as they have very specific UVB requirements and there are limited bulbs out there that are actually adequate for bearded dragons, most UVB lights that are labeled for bearded dragons are not adequate. Without a proper UVB light he cannot make vitamin D3, cannot absorb any Calcium or other nutrients or nutrition, will become lethargic and lose his appetite, and develop bone density issues like MBD. You never want to buy any lights that are coiled bulbs, they cause a lot of issues with their eyes and skin, and are not strong enough to emit enough UVB for them. Compact bulbs for the most part are also inadequate UVB lights for beardies. They need long flourescent UVB tubes which require a long flourescent tube fixture. They must be at least 10% UVB tubes, we recommend the Reptisun 10.0 UVB tubes (never 5.0), and the Arcadia 12% tubes. They both come in different strengths, the Reptisun 10.0 is either a T8 or the much stronger T5 High-Output UVB tube, the main differences are that the 10.0 T8 cannot penetrate a mesh lid so it must be mounted inside the enclosure and must be within 8" of your beardie on his basking spot unobstructed, while the 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB can penetrate a mesh lid so it can sit on top of a mesh lid and must be within 11" of your beardie on his basking spot. The T8 must be replaced every 6 months, while the T5 High-Output must be replaced every year, even though they will still emit light and appear to be working, they emit no UVB light after those time periods. UVB cannot ever penetrate glass, no matter how strong, so no glass lids!

What UVB light are you using (brand, model, type of bulb)? Is it mounted inside the tank or sitting on top of a lid of some kind? Is there any clear plastic cover over the bulb on the fixture? How far away is the bulb from your beardie's basking spot? Does the fixture have a reflector? As of right now, i'm using the repti sun 10.0 UVB Compact bulb but i'm getting the repti sun 10.0 linear bulb soon. The current uvb light is about 13 inches away from his basking spot. I can temporarily move his spot closer to it until i get the linear bulb though if i need to. i just couldn't find anyone who was able to give me a good distance. The light is sitting on a mesh top.

What type of bulb are you using as a basking bulb (brand, wattage, is it compact or coiled, color?) Im using the repti basking spot lamp 100w

Beardies see in color, so colored bulbs of any kind can cause them issues with their vision. The only type of basking bulb (also called a daylight bulb) you want to use is a bright white bulb, no soft white or frosted white, and no blue, yellow, green, red, infrared, etc. No special reptile basking bulb is necessary, most of us use regular bright white household halogen bulbs, or regular household halogen indoor flood bulbs.

Have you measured the temperatures inside his enclosure yet? What is the temperature on his basking spot, on the Hot Side of the enclosure (surrounding the basking spot), and on the opposite Cool Side of the enclosure? What type of thermometer are you using to measure his temps? His basking spot is usually between 90-100 and i'm using the thermometer that came with the tank until i get one today when i go to the pet store

Those cheap, round, gauge thermometers that all of the kits come with are literally worthless, they can be off as much as 20 degrees and most are. Also, it is impossible to measure the temperature of the basking spot with one of those. You need to buy either a temperature gun, or even better are the digital thermometers that have a probe on a wire that you can move right to specific spots in his tank to get accurate temperatures. They cost only $8-$9, and I use 2 of them in each enclosure, one I keep zip tied to the basking spot, the other I use to measure the Hot and Cool Sides by simply moving the probe. Remember, it's very important that you allow the probe to sit for 20-30 minutes before reading the temperature, and you must do this each time you move it. Without proper temps inside his enclosure, your beardie cannot digest his food and cannot find a place to cool down. Proper temperature zones for a baby are:

Basking Spot (baby/juvenile): between 105-110 absolute maximum, (subadults/adult): 100-103

Nighttime Temperature: They need it to cool down in order to sleep comfortably, just like it does in the desert. Most people need no nighttime heat source at all. As long as the ambient temperature in the enclosure at night is at 65 degrees or above, you absolutely need no nighttime heat source at all. All of his lights get turned off at night, i have them on a timer that's 12/12

If for some reason your house drops below 60 degrees at night (remember, his enclosure is warmer than your house, so if your house is at 60, his enclosure temp is fine), you never want to use any type of light as a nighttime heat source. Again, most people need no nighttime heat source, but if his enclosure drops below 65 degrees at night, you'll want to use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE), which is a coiled black piece of iron that screws into a regular lightbulb fixture. It emits heat but no light. Never use any colored lights or even white lights at night, no infrared, red, black, "moonlight", blue, green, yellow, purple, etc.
93451-7180919493.jpg
93451-2930497001.jpg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well right off the bat the compact Reptisun T8 UVB isn't emitting enough UVB to begin with, and the mesh lid blocks about 35%-50% of the UVB it is emitting, so either get the tube Reptisun immediately (a 10.0 T5 High-Output if you want it on top of the mesh), or you need to find a way to get the light inside his tank, unobstructed by the mesh. You can cut a hole in the mesh under the compact UVB bulb, or figure out how to do it, but he's not getting nearly any UVB light at all with that bulb obstructed by mesh, and this will definitely hurt his appetite.

Also, you need to bump up his basking spot temperature, but please don't do so until you get a digital probe thermometer so you can place the probe right on his basking spot, let it sit for 20-30 minutes, then read it. Babies like it hotter than adults, and this combined with no UVB is probably why he's not eating. Aim for around 105 degrees on the basking spot for a baby, if he mouth gaped at 105 then aim for 100. But usually they want it at at least 105 degrees. But as I said, that cheap thermometer you have may be off by up to 20 degrees, so please spend the $8 at Petco or PetSmart and get a probe thermometer before raising his basking spot or lowering the basking light. Also, make sure that the UVB light and the basking light are right alongside each other so he gets both at the same time while basking, this is important.

Once you get a proper UVB light and his basking temp correct, he'll be fine and his appetite will come back almost immediately, and his activity level will increase. If you're not planning on getting the tube UVB and fixture right now, please get that compact UVB bulb inside the tank unobstructed or cut out the mesh from the lid directly underneath the bulb, and get it within 8" of his basking spot so he'll absorb at least a little UVB light, enough to help anyway, because that compact bulb seriously puts out not even close to what he needs, and blocking at least 35% of what it does emit with the mesh is not only killing his appetite (along with too cool a basking spot) but will start bone density issues.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Simonthecheeto":co43uyvp said:
EllenD":co43uyvp said:

How long have you had him now? Most beardies go through a bit of relocation stress for the first week or two, some more than others, where they won't eat or bask, they hide a lot and sleep a lot, and don't like to be handled. So if you've only had him for a week or less than this is most likely the cause. Ive had him for about a week but like i said earlier, he's been doing fine and acting well

What UVB light are you using (brand, model, type of bulb)? Is it mounted inside the tank or sitting on top of a lid of some kind? Is there any clear plastic cover over the bulb on the fixture? How far away is the bulb from your beardie's basking spot? Does the fixture have a reflector? As of right now, i'm using the repti sun 10.0 UVB Compact bulb but i'm getting the repti sun 10.0 linear bulb soon. The current uvb light is about 13 inches away from his basking spot. I can temporarily move his spot closer to it until i get the linear bulb though if i need to. i just couldn't find anyone who was able to give me a good distance. The light is sitting on a mesh top.

<<<< there is your most likely problem , if it's a 26W 10%UVB compact in a reflector dome or reflector hood it is not going to be strong enough to provide adequate UVA and UVB at 13 inches from the basking spot.
You need to either move the UV basking spot to about 8 inches away or lower the existing compact (ASSUMING IT"S A 26W version) to get adequate UVA exposure and to get about 190 microW UVB / sqcm.
If it's a 13W version , you need to get beardie to be able bask inside 5 inches from it.

UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term , and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too low long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

What type of bulb are you using as a basking bulb (brand, wattage, is it compact or coiled, color?) Im using the repti basking spot lamp 100w

Have you measured the temperatures inside his enclosure yet? What is the temperature on his basking spot, on the Hot Side of the enclosure (surrounding the basking spot), and on the opposite Cool Side of the enclosure? What type of thermometer are you using to measure his temps? His basking spot is usually between 90-100 and i'm using the thermometer that came with the tank until i get one today when i go to the pet store

Nighttime Temperature: They need it to cool down in order to sleep comfortably, just like it does in the desert. Most people need no nighttime heat source at all. As long as the ambient temperature in the enclosure at night is at 65 degrees or above, you absolutely need no nighttime heat source at all. All of his lights get turned off at night, i have them on a timer that's 12/12

Too short, he thinks it's winter , as 12hr is about the hours of daylight in winter in their natural range in winter. I recommend nudging this up to 15-16 hrs per day.

93451-7180919493.jpg
93451-2930497001.jpg

Simonthecheeto

Original Poster
EllenD":1ociw29s said:
Well right off the bat the compact Reptisun T8 UVB isn't emitting enough UVB to begin with, and the mesh lid blocks about 35%-50% of the UVB it is emitting, so either get the tube Reptisun immediately (a 10.0 T5 High-Output if you want it on top of the mesh), or you need to find a way to get the light inside his tank, unobstructed by the mesh. You can cut a hole in the mesh under the compact UVB bulb, or figure out how to do it, but he's not getting nearly any UVB light at all with that bulb obstructed by mesh, and this will definitely hurt his appetite.

Also, you need to bump up his basking spot temperature, but please don't do so until you get a digital probe thermometer so you can place the probe right on his basking spot, let it sit for 20-30 minutes, then read it. Babies like it hotter than adults, and this combined with no UVB is probably why he's not eating. Aim for around 105 degrees on the basking spot for a baby, if he mouth gaped at 105 then aim for 100. But usually they want it at at least 105 degrees. But as I said, that cheap thermometer you have may be off by up to 20 degrees, so please spend the $8 at Petco or PetSmart and get a probe thermometer before raising his basking spot or lowering the basking light. Also, make sure that the UVB light and the basking light are right alongside each other so he gets both at the same time while basking, this is important.

Once you get a proper UVB light and his basking temp correct, he'll be fine and his appetite will come back almost immediately, and his activity level will increase. If you're not planning on getting the tube UVB and fixture right now, please get that compact UVB bulb inside the tank unobstructed or cut out the mesh from the lid directly underneath the bulb, and get it within 8" of his basking spot so he'll absorb at least a little UVB light, enough to help anyway, because that compact bulb seriously puts out not even close to what he needs, and blocking at least 35% of what it does emit with the mesh is not only killing his appetite (along with too cool a basking spot) but will start bone density issues.
I've been looking and i can't seem to find a good fixture for the repti sun 10.0 T5, any help?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I get mine on Amazon.com as a package deal with the light and the fixture together, just search for "Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tube" and you'll get a bunch of options for the tube, then once you choose the cheapest one of the tubes scroll down and you'll see a combo deal for the bulb and the fixture. Also another great place with some of the best light prices, among other things, is www.petmountain.com

****Be sure to get the 10.0 T5 tube, as Reptisun actually sells a prepackaged, special price deal with the T5 tube and the fixture, but it's only a 5.0 tube, which is for tropical reptiles.***

Also, as already mentioned above, his lights need to be on for at least 14 hours every day, 12 hours corresponds with winter. Once you get the proper UVB light on him and within the correct distance from his basking spot, and you get his basking spot temperature Hot enough, he'll be fine.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Arcadia Slimline T5H0 reflector hood
Zoo Med T5HO reflector hood
Zilla T5HO reflector hood (the hood is fine but their T5 UVB tubes are Chinese rubbish).

Those dial type thermometers are worthlessly inaccurate . I recommend tossing them in the bin and replacing with a brace of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-LCD-Electronic-Digital-Thermometer-Fish-Tank-Water-Detector-Practica-BU/252762165947?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D6ac464a2a1b24339be32c744b2ff5cf9%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D201577608563 , I use these in my vivs and have tested them , they are good +/- 1 degC).

Simonthecheeto

Original Poster
Thank all of you for the help! I will be ordering the light and fixture i need off of amazon tonight, hopefully. and if not, i will definitely be ordering it by tomorrow. As for the thermometer, i will get one tonight when i go to the pet store.
However, one last question how close is too close to the uvb light i currently have?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
He should be within 6-8" of that compact UVB you have now, but again, it cannot be on top of a mesh lid, as that bulb doesn't produce near enough UVB for him at the correct distance anyway, so if you have a mesh lid in-between him and the lightbulb it's absolutely worthless and not getting him any UVB at all. I'd get the light at 6-8" from that bulb and then cut a hole out of that mesh lid that is a bit larger in diameter than the bulb. Those lids are cheap and can be replaced for very little cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Go88 là một trong những nhà cái cá cược trực tuyến hàng đầu với danh tiếng vững chắc trong cộng đồng người chơi.
Tag: #appgo88link #go88link #Game_Go88 #Game_bài_Go88 #Cổng_game_Go88 #Tài_xỉu_Go88 #Nạp_tiền_Go88 #Rút_tiền_Go88 #play_Go88
https://smartcity.bandung.go.id/member/bsc3090527795d
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesper
Top Bottom