Worried!!!!!!!! Ready to lay??? HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber31190

Hatchling Member
Ok, so today I walked into my room to check on everyone and I noticed that my one year old( sully who I just found out by the vet that he is a she) was digging in the little tub of dirt that I had put in there. When I saw her I knew that the tub I had was not big nor deep enough for her so I went and got an extra tub I had which is a 64 quart and filled it halfway full of dirt. When I put her in the bigger tub she didn't dig anymore. I also clamped a 75 watt bulb to the side of the tub. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know. I don't want her being egg-bound and die. Also she hasn't been with a male. But my questions are: Is this what I'm suppose to do? And what should I expect? Iv never done this before and I'm really worried. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Amber

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry you haven't had responses.
What type of dirt are you using? It needs to be at least 10-12 inches deep. Usually mixing dirt/potting soil with sand to make it compact but still loose enough for her to dig is adequate. It needs to be firm enough to where she can dig a nice burrow without it caving in on her.
Mix enough water in with it to help hold some moisture too so the substrate will stick together to be able to form a burrow, or cave for her. The clamp light/basking light is fine for her, that should help.
Is the lay box inside of her tank then, or outside of it?
How old is she? You are sure that she is far enough along to lay them now?
Sometimes, it takes them awhile to inspect their laying area.

Tracie

Amber31190

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
go the right dirt, have when she starts to dig,in her tank corner, i put her in a 55 quart steralite container with about 1 1/2 foot of dirt, half the lid cut off, with a normal light pointing doen then the other clamped on for prvacy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any progress yet? The setup you have now sounds fine, there shouldn't be any reason why she would not use that lay box now.
That is great the lay box is in her tank. Does she go into the box willingly on her own?

Tracie

Amber31190

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no, yea she goes in there all on her own and she'll just sit there for a while and she'll get back out when she wants too... she'll dig every now and then but other then that she justs sits in it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom