worried, not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunfaye

I've had my dragon for several months and she always ate really well. I feed her crickets, kale and meal worms. But for the past month she's not eating anything and I'm getting really worried she's starving to death. What should I do? She looks depressed. She's in a window all day with lots of natural sunshine and a shaded area under some foliage. I always thought she seemed happy, but now I'm worried about her. Any suggestions? I'm new at this. Thank you.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just gave you your own thread so that it can get the attention that it needs/deserves.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
A few questions:
-Does she get 12 hours of UV radiation (through glass doesn't count)?
-Is she impacted? Do you feel little lumps in her stomach? Did she defecate after her last meal?
-What are the temps on both sides?
-What brand multivitamins do you use, and how often? And calcium?

She could be sick. Or, she could be unable to digest properly if the basking temps aren't high enough.

It can never hurt to call a vet if you're really worried.

sunfaye

Original Poster
These are great questions herpfreak. Recently I got her from a rescue situation and I know very little about how to care for her that's why I'm on this site. She was eating great when I got her four months ago.
- She gets 12 hours to sunlight a day through a window. I live in S. California so it's usually always sunny. But I didn't realize "through a window" didn't count. Why is that? On cloudy days I use a 50 watt basking spot lamp. Perhaps she needs the lamp every day.
-I checked her for impacting and I didn't feel any lumps in her bully. She doesn't defecate much. Only once a month maybe, but she's not eating, so maybe that's why.
- I don't have a thermator so I don't know the temps. I'll buy one tomorrow and get back to you.
- She's never gotten a multivitamin or calcium. I didn't know about that. What do you suggest? I'll go get whatever I need first thing tomorrow.
I sure hope she's okay. I love this little critter. Sorry for being so ignorant. And thank you for helping us. I appreciate it. If you don't have the answers, I'll call my vet.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
sunfaye":13782 said:
These are great questions herpfreak. Recently I got her from a rescue situation and I know very little about how to care for her that's why I'm on this site. She was eating great when I got her four months ago.
- She gets 12 hours to sunlight a day through a window. I live in S. California so it's usually always sunny. But I didn't realize "through a window" didn't count. Why is that? On cloudy days I use a 50 watt basking spot lamp. Perhaps she needs the lamp every day.
-I checked her for impacting and I didn't feel any lumps in her bully. She doesn't defecate much. Only once a month maybe, but she's not eating, so maybe that's why.
- I don't have a thermator so I don't know the temps. I'll buy one tomorrow and get back to you.
- She's never gotten a multivitamin or calcium. I didn't know about that. What do you suggest? I'll go get whatever I need first thing tomorrow.
I sure hope she's okay. I love this little critter. Sorry for being so ignorant. And thank you for helping us. I appreciate it. If you don't have the answers, I'll call my vet.
That's good to know. Glass filters UV radiation; beardies need direct exposure to either the sun or a UV light. It's also strange, but screens also filter out the UV. This is probably the biggest problem. You should get her a UV tube (ReptiSun, not a ReptiGlo or any other company) as soon as possible.
Here is a ReptiSun 10.0: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=554
This one is an 18". Depending on your enclosure size, you may need a longer. It should be at least half as long as the enclosure. Another option is an MVB (mercury vapor bulb), which is not a tube like the ReptiSun, but a normal-looking bulb. Also, unlike the ReptiSun, it gives off heat, so you may not need an additional basking light. However, MVBs should only be used in large-ish enclosures. I'd say 50 gallons or more. So if your dragon is a baby, you will want to get a ReptiSun.

It is also very important to have thermometers; one on the basking spot and one at the cool side. Temps all depend on how old your dragon is. 100-105* at the basking spot for hatchlings (under 8mo), and around 100*F for dragons older than 8 months. The rest of the cage should not drop below 80*F during the day. At night, temps can drop to 65*, but no lower. If your house gets colder than 65 at night, you will want to invest in a red bulb (beardies can't see the red light), or a CHE (cermaic heat emitter, which doesn't give off any light). The UV light (either a ReptiSun 10.0 or a MVB, whatever you choose) and the basking bulb should be on for 12-14 hours a day. The basking bulb should also be on a rheostat (dimmer), so you can dim it if it gets too hot.

Calcium powder (phosphorous-free with vitamin D3): http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=31
Multivitamins (Herptivite): http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=29
Calcium and Herptivite dusting (directions are on the bottles) depends on how old your dragon is.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Near the top of this website is a table for how often to dust crickets/salads with calcium and herptivite. This website also has a food table, in case you're wondering if some fruits and veggies are ok.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted, and ask any other questions you may have!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, you've been given some good info already, I have a few questions and I'd like to add some suggestions.

How old is your beardie, I know that you've had him for 4 months, if you don't know his age, what is his length from nose to very tip of tail?

What size tank are you using?

It is very important that you get a thermometer so that you know what the temps are because that will affect his total health especially appetite and pooping. Since he isn't eating and only pooping once a month, that is not good and the temps are probably a good part of the problem. The only 2 ways to get a good reading are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire and probe on the end. Here's a picture of the AcuRite brand that I got at Walmart for about $12.00.
100_0297.jpg

Since this one has a double readout, you can get the basking and cool side temp at the same time and it also has a humidity readout which is good to know. To get the readings with a dual readout digital with probe, you place the probe end so that it is resting (laying) right on the basking log or rock and place the thermometer part on the bottom of the opposite side of the tank. You wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" reading will be for the basking side and the "in" reading for the cool side. If you get a single readout digital with probe, then you would have to wait about 45 min to get each reading separately by moving the probe end from the basking to the cool side so the dual one is much quicker and easier.

Since you haven't been using a UVB light, that can also be affecting his appetite, etc and a UVB is very important to help their bones develop to prevent metabolic bone disease. Please don't a coil or compact bulb as those are very dangerous. Reptileuv is a good place to get the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent and here is another very good place to get one at a reasonable price. http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html Petmountain is also giving a 5% discount off your order right now. Make sure to stay away from the Repti-Glo 10.0 fluorescent as there have been some health issues involved with that bulb. For the hood for the Repti-Sun, you can go to Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a standard fluorescent light, remove the plastic cover and the bulb that came with it and replace with the UVB, leaving the plastic cover off. With that bulb, it should be 6 to 8" from your beardie and the UVB should be right alongside a bright white basking bulb so that your beardie can get the benefit of both bulbs while he is basking.

herpfreak gave you the links to the calcium and vitamin supplements that most of us use here, the Rep-Cal brand. If your beardie is under 1 1/2 yrs old, you should be dusting his live food 5 days a wk, 1 feeding a day with the calcium and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk, 1 feeding a day.

Keeping your beardie well hydrated is very important because if the temps are off, it can cause rapid dehydration. Giving baths 3 to 4 times a wk in warm water tested by the inside of your wrist with it not being hot or cold with the vent area (where they poop) right down in the water for about 15 to 20 min each time, will properly hydrate them. Be sure to put a washcloth down in the sink or transparent container to keep them from sliding around.

Mealworms aren't a good feeding since they don't really have any nutritional value and due to their hard chitin shell, they are a risk impaction. Crickets, hornworms, phoenix worms, silkworms or butter worms (although the butters are high in fat though) are all better feeders. The link to the beautiful dragons site that herpfreak posted is very helpful for the best greens/veggies to feed and most of us go by that too.

I'll bet you'll notice a difference once you make these changes. Please fill us in on the unanswered questions to fill us in more.

sunfaye

Original Poster
WOW! That's a whole lot of information. I had no idea. Rexy has given to us by my son's kindergarten teacher. The teacher brought her in to school to show the kids and my son fell in love instantly. And since his teacher didn't really care for Rexy, we adopted her with zero knowledge of bearded dragons. His teacher got Rexy as a baby but I don't know her age. She's 12 1/2 inches long from tip of tale to nose. Do you know her age? What I do know is Rexy has never had any of these supplements, light sources or foods you've listed. She's been fed meal worms and crickets her entire life. So now I know all this, I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm wondering if this is a right pet for me. The trouble is my six year old son loves her and would be devastated if I gave her away. But at the same time Rexy deserves to be happy and healthy with proper care. So I need to either step up and do these things or give her to someone who well. But for now, I need to get her healthy.
Rexy doesn't seem to like the light bulb on her. She gets as far away from it as possible. Last night I gave her a bath for the first time and she seemed to come alive a bit. I'll do it again tonight. I gave her some applesauce and smashed pear but she was uninterested.
I wish she would eat something. Anything! Won't she starve to death without food?
Her tank is 30" x 12" with sand on the bottom and faux foliage. I'm going to print of all this valuable information you kind people have offered and go to the pet store. She's very sweet and I feel horrible she's never gotten proper care.
Thank you a million times over for taking the time to offer your advice and tips. I truly appreciate it. I'll get all these things you've listed and get back with an update. Say a prayer Rexy comes around. Thanks again.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, bearded dragons are a lot of work and a lot of money. A very major investment. I'm glad you're looking for help; may people wouldn't. There are also some good care sheets on this site that you might find helpful.

I too got a AcuRite digital thermometer for Budo, and I loved it so much I got one for my snake too. Unless I can find the money for a good tempgun, I'm going to use AcuRites for all of my herps!

I really hope she starts eating! Keep us posted! Good luck!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, please don't give up your beardie, you son would be heartbroken. We are here to help you every step of the way. The fact that you came here shows that you are quite attached to him already and it's great that you are here to get some knowledge. :wink:

Once you get the supplies you need, then you'll be all set, will only have to do some minor adjustments from time to time once you have everything. Believe me, Rexy will be worth it as they are the most loving creatures, just like babies. I honestly can't imagine being without any of my 4 beardies. :love5:

It's hard to say exactly how old Rexy is since she didn't get the supplements, have good temps and didn't have a UVB light. If you've had her for about 4 months and she is a little over a ft long, she could be anywhere from 6 months to a yr more than likely.

She may not like to lay under the light because the temps are probably off as usually they love to bask. I suggest you get a digital thermometer with probe then we can help you get the temps just right. Petmountain has some cheaper thermometers that will give you a single reading. Here's an example of a few: http://www.petmountain.com/product/thermometers/509769/coralife-digital-thermometer.html Any of these would work fine since they have probes on the end. If you're really worried about her not eating, you could pick up some chicken or turkey babyfood and squash. Most really like those. I could explain just how to offer it.

Sorry I gave you so much information, just didn't want to leave anything out. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions and like I already said, we are here to help you step by step. :wink:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with diamc. Like I said before, they are lots of work and money, but worth it all the way. And we can help you with anything (well, I can't help you with much, I'm somewhat of a beardie-newbie myself, but there are so many great people here).

It would also help us if you posted some pictures of your setup.

sunfaye

Original Poster
Okay, thanks again. Can I buy any of these thing at Petco or Pet Smart? I would like to just go there and get everything instead of ordering from different online companies and wait for it to arrive. I love the baby food idea. I'll try it and see how it goes. Could you please explain how I should offer it to her? I think if she could just eat a little bit, we all would feel better around here. I'll take photos of her set up in the morning and post them. I think once she has the proper set up and food, it will be easy. Also, I'll ask my son's teacher how long they had her so we can get a more accurate age. But I would guess one year is about right. Thanks again. Bye for now.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
sunfaye":1e2fa said:
Okay, thanks again. Can I buy any of these thing at Petco or Pet Smart? I would like to just go there and get everything instead of ordering from different online companies and wait for it to arrive. I love the baby food idea. I'll try it and see how it goes. Could you please explain how I should offer it to her? I think if she could just eat a little bit, we all would feel better around here. I'll take photos of her set up in the morning and post them. I think once she has the proper set up and food, it will be easy. Also, I'll ask my son's teacher how long they had her so we can get a more accurate age. But I would guess one year is about right. Thanks again. Bye for now.
It all depends on the store. My local PetCo doesn't sell the Rep-Cal brand of multivitamins and calcium. Most pet stores should carry ReptiSuns, but they may not have the correct size in stock. Even with shipping, ordering online is much cheaper. But it never hurts to check in at a pet store.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
you came to the right place for any and all info for Rexy. there are many knowledgful and helpful people here to find all the info you need for a healthy beardie. I did things backwards like many do and got my first beardie with very little knowledge to what is needed for a long healthy life for them. finding this site gave me more insite. buying suplies and feeders from petco or petsmart will be way more expensive than buying online from reputable places. read thru as much as you can on these boards and you will learn much about all you need to know. if for any reason you have a question feel free to post it and I am sure that someone will respond with helpful info. even though your son is still a little guy have him help withsome of the husbandry. he will learn responsibility and respect and it will become an enjoyable hobby and experience for both of you. good luck and keep us all posted with Rexy's progress

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You should be able to get at least some of the items you need from Petco or Petsmart, but like others have said, you're going to end up paying at least twice as much money. http://www.petmountain.com has the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent, the calcium, the vitamins and digital thermometers with probe. And, they are a great company to deal with and are also offering a 5% discount right now. So, you might want to consider using them.

sunfaye

Original Poster
Good news! Rexy just drank a bunch of water while bathing. I had no idea you were suppose to bath them until I read about it on this site. So atleast she's drinking. One thing that's odd is her belly seems bloated and puffed up like it's full of air. Does anyone know what that is?
So I'll take your advice and buy all these things online. I'm in the middle of moving, so I have a lot on my plate right now. Thanks for all your advise, Rexy seems happier lately just from the daily baths. And my son thinks it's the best putting her in the tub. I'll write more tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom