worried! new beardie won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakjd03

Hi, I am new to the forum and am hoping you guys can help. My we got our dragon two Weeks ago and can't really get him to eat. He's about for inches long. We have him in a 20 gallon long for now, his basking spot is about 100° and his cool end is about 80°. So far we have tried crickets which he won't touch, he did eat about four waxworms in about a day and a half. We've tried collard greens, and kale, .with no luck.he did eat some baby food banana and strawberries this morning when my son hand fed him but won't touch it in his dish. he seems normal otherwise, he's alert and active. Thanks in advance for Any help you can give.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

What are you measuring your temps with? A digital with probe? A temp gun? Or a dial stick on thermometer?
What uvb bulb are you using?
What substrate are you housing on?

He is not housed with any other beardies correct?

-Brandon

dakjd03

Original Poster
We have a zilla 25 uvb strip light, his substrate is tile, he is by himself, and we were using the stick on thermometers but are out picking up a digital one as we speak.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok Im glad you are getting a digital with probe.

Once you get it, place the probe on the basking SURFACE and leave it there for 45 minutes to get an accurate temperature.

I would switch out the zilla for a reptisun 10.0 or an arcadia 12%.

Zilla brand uvb bulbs have been known to cause eye problems, lethargicness, and lack of appetite.

-Brandon

dakjd03

Original Poster
it turns out getting the thermometer was harder than I thought but I tracked one down along with a new bulb so i'm going to pick them up now and see what happens.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which bulb are you getting?

Unfortunately, the majority of reptile bulbs on the market are in fact dangerous to bearded dragons.

-Brandon

dakjd03

Original Poster
Ok, I got the reptisun 10.0 and digital thermometer, his basking area is 105° and his cool side is about 81°. So far he's eaten one cricket on his own and a couple waxworms fed by hand, hadn't touched kale. We've also been bathing him about 20 minutes at a time. i'm thinking maybe taking him to the vet but wanted to rule out any mistakes I may be making before I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom