Worried I’m not handling enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’ve had him or her for about a month and a half. I don’t handle every day and sometimes when I try to he/she opens his/her mouth to bite me. He/she is about 10 inches now. I really want to make sure he/she is tame, but I have two small children (1 and 4) and I worry they’ll scare him/her.
Should I pick him/her up even though he/she wants to bite? Any advice on being a beardie mama and a human mama?
Thanks!

With your lizard baby I would suggest a really good trick. Take a t-shirt of yours that you have warn and place it in his/her viv. This then gets them used to your smell and starts the bonding process. Then I would start out small, with hand feeding daily. This is a great way to bond with your dragon. You can either start out using tweezers or place a little bit on the palm of your hand and place your hand gently in the viv slightly away from the beardie so it's on his/her own terms if they approach. Once she/he is comfortable with this then you can start to move further towards petting and lifting him/her out of the viv. Small steps and persistence are key.

With regards to your human babies. I would obviously put off handling until they are a little bit older and these aggressive behaviors have completely stopped. But what you could do with the 4 year old is let them help with her care if they're interested in her. They can help tear up some salad leaves or something and then watch her/him eating. Something that allows them to feel involved but at a safe distance for both of them.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom