Worried about my new MBD baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimis

I brought Westlee home 12/2 knowing she had MBD, pet store was giving her liquid calcium. Took her to the vet last Tuesday, she got a 'clean' bill of health- told to continue 3 units of calcium twice a week. She has a low count of coccidia, not treating at this time. She also had some pinworms, got some Panacur which I gave her on Saturday.
She has tremors when handled. Sometimes she goes stiff. The first week she seemed to be lessening with the tremors, I am trying not to handle her too much right now. But am trying to bathe her at least every other day. She doesn't always eat by lunch, so I will pick her up and put her at the food bowl. Last few days she has been worse with the tremors when I pick her up. I think today it was a seizure rather than a tremor. I was trying to syringe her the calcium, which she usually takes- but she backed up, stiffened and fell off her branch, then seized a bit.
She is 4 months old and weighed 29g when I got her , a week later was 32g, this Sunday was 34g, today she is 32g again. Comparatively, my other beardie is 3 months- in the same time frame he went from 77g to 101g! She does eat, not great though. Eating roaches and some greens, don't think she has eaten any squash. She doesn't seem to do much, at least not when I'm around. Poops are ok, she seems to have a larger portion of urates than my other guy. And there is a puddle of water around the poo.
Tank is a 20L, reptisun 10 tube, temps are 105-83.
COuld the Panacur have made things worse? Should I increase the liquid calcium? Am I stressing her out by giving it to her? She takes water from syringe great, just doesn't want the calcium anymore.
Really worried. Advice appreciated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of calcium are you giving & what is the dose? What is the brand of calcium?
How often do you give the calcium?

How much Panacur was given?
The Reptisun 10 is that a tube bulb or a compact/coil light? Is there anything in between her & the UVB?
It sounds like she is not getting enough calcium or is not absorbing it properly. Please post some pictures of her for us, so we can assess her physically.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How far away is the Reptisun 10 from him? The screen will filter out 30% or more of the UVB from him so if you could possibly mount it underneath of the screen to get him to a 6-8 inches of the light.
What is the size of the unit of calcium glubionate he is getting? That may not be enough for him though.

How is he doing today?

Tracie

Erimis

Original Poster
I would say she is no more than 4" from the UVB light. She is always in the same spot, except to poo and eat. She did get up and eat roaches for breakfast. Two very small poops- took to work and did fecal- less coccidia and no pinworm ova seen, but it was a small sample. I syringed her water and she took that without a fuss. Small tremoring, nothing major like yesterday.
I have a call into the vet but havent heard back yet.

Erimis

Original Poster
Vet called- changing liquid calcium to 1 unit twice a day. She is being really sassy this morning- refused her water from syringe which she usually takes eagerly. I tried the calcium and she started flinging her head around so I left her alone.
Vet is concerned that she isn't responding to calcium, so possibly encephalitis. But she doesn't have a head tilt. Baytril if no improvement with daily calcium.
When I came home from lunch she had started to shed. That may be her weight loss/not eating so great right now. She didn't turn white/cloudy like Dinck does. And she shed her body first and not legs, head, tail.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It could be a respiratory or bacterial issue, possibly or another nutritional issue. Thiamin deficiency mimics calcium issues. Which vitamins do you give her?
How long is he going to have her on the calcium daily? What is the strength of each unit & the dose he is giving her? How much does she weigh?
I hope she is doing better today. How is her appetite?

Tracie

Erimis

Original Poster
It doesn't say strength on bottle of calcium. Im not sure how long I will be giving calcium twice daily, will check back with the vet next week. She gets Herptivite- not sure how often I should give this?
She is much better today!! I had my husband record me giving her meds- no tremors at all of course! She took 0.5 mL water and her unit of calcium no problem. She is almost done with her shed so I expect her appetite to increase (she is eating ok). I did not weigh her today, I'll check tomorrow. Last weight was 32g.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The herptivite can be given to dragons under one year, twice weekly.
That is great news she is not having any tremors now! :D I honestly think that she was not getting enough calcium. It takes a little bit of time for the blood calcium to stabilize if it is low. I would continue with the twice a day calcium, for another couple of weeks, anyway.
I hope her shedding is going well.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom