worried about health of 3 week old babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello :)

I have two baby dragons and one is slightly larger than the other. The bigger one is very hyper and eats well, and can hold himself up well.

On the other hand, the smaller one, gets hyper from time to time but mostly hides in shade. Hell come out once in a while, I usually pick him up and place him under the basking spot. He can hold himself up, but he usually just lays flat on his tummy and has his hands and legs spread out. Is he okay?

Ooh, and is it safe if they stare at the Uvb bulb from 1 inch away? Reason why its solow is because i'm waiting for my reptisun 10.0 to come in and i'm using one I got from Petsmart.

Also, what kind of house hold bulbs are you guys using? I've went thru at least 9 bulbs and can't get 105ish. I'm at 95 at basking spot... And 75 cool. It also stays 75 at night. I'm using a 65 watt replacement for 45w flood. Should I just get a normal non energy saving 65 watt? Btw the basking spot is about 6 inches from the ground and a tile

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a quick reply...That close to the [ Coil ? ] uvb can definitely damage their eyes, you should turn it off ASAP. ! And the one baby is frightened of the other, or just a more delicate, shy baby. He needs his own tank + some TLC.

vampy

Juvie Member
Is the little one eating ok? He might be unhappy sharing his viv with his sibling and being left out at feeding time. However they DO like to lie around in strange positions with their legs all over the place, so it might be nothing. It's a bit strange that he won't go bask on his own...does he get excited when you feed him? Mine don't all go bask immediately in the morning, but I feed them and they all come running for crickets, then they will go and bask. Also, if you've only just got them, he might be a bit scared, it'll take him a week or so to really settle in to his new home.

What sort of UV do you have? If it's one of the coils, then turn it off now, they aren't that safe even at a distance, let alone at an inch. If it's a tube, I don't know, but I'd guess it's probably not a good idea. The light is twice as intense an inch away than it is 2 inches away, and 4 times as intense as it is 3 inches away...so given it's meant to be 6-8 inches away, that is a LOT more UV than recommended.

And yes, use regular old fashioned incandescent bulbs, not the energy saving ones. 60w ones give me the right temps in the smaller baby vivs, and 100w is needed for the bigger adult viv.

krolmariusz

Original Poster
-the little one actually had problems eating, he wasnt interested in what i gave him. the breeder i bought them from told me to use 3/8's size crickets. the bigger one ate them all but the little one would MAYBE eat one. (i sit there and make sure they eat). and just today i ran out of small crickets, turns out the smaller guy prefers the larger ones... picker eater LOL (yes ive tried greens, i offer them some every day). the small one eats normally now. he even goes for the cricket in front of the bigger one, he looks at him then the food, then RUNS at it! its precious!
-i will be moving the small guy into his own tank this saturday =] its been 5 days since i got them, and no they dont get excited when i open the cage, lol they kinda run away (sometimes)
-it is NOT a coil. it is a tube. i got some brand at petsmart, my real one should be here tmrw (ebay shipped my to someone else, and a coil to me....)

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom