Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakotachristy84

Hatchling Member
i want to breed my own worms to feed my dragons. i know some people say that feeding worms isn't good for dragons, but i have to adult dragons. i hear that meal worms are best and others say superworms or was worms. i have no idea. i know right now mealworms are still hard to come by. well it might just be the way petco worms are. they look so small and sick.

burt1016

Juvie Member
meal worms are no good for they cause impaction because of there citan. if you want super worms which are better your dragon has to be... what was it i think 14 inchs??? someone correct the inches if they are wrong

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Dakotachristy84":13dba said:
i want to breed my own worms to feed my dragons. i know some people say that feeding worms isn't good for dragons, but i have to adult dragons. i hear that meal worms are best and others say superworms or was worms. i have no idea. i know right now mealworms are still hard to come by. well it might just be the way petco worms are. they look so small and sick.

Meal worms are bad, they have hardly an nutrition and their shells are too hard on their bellies. If you are considering breeding worms, check into breeding SuperWorms. I do believe that you should only feed them to dragons over 16", though (but you said yours were adults).

Feeding "Worms" overall, is not a bad thing, though. There are silkworms (which I believe you can also breed), wax worms (which are too fatty to be a staple), phoenix worms (which would be REALLY hard to breed), meal worms (which aren't good), super worms (which can be bred), and butter worms (which cannot be bred, they are sterilized since they are imported). I'm probably missing some, though!

Earthworms (nightcrawlers?) Noone even TALKS about them- are they good or bad- they are soft...what kind of nutrition do they provide? Are they even safe for beardeds? Just a thought. Gonna order some Dubia in a couple weeks when i'm in my new apartment.

patrickb

Juvie Member
JailBirdStripes":99c73 said:
Earthworms (nightcrawlers?) Noone even TALKS about them- are they good or bad- they are soft...what kind of nutrition do they provide? Are they even safe for beardeds? Just a thought. Gonna order some Dubia in a couple weeks when i'm in my new apartment.
I believe earthworms are loaded with parasites. I know they are very sensitive to chemicals in the soil as their bodies soak it up, so probably best to stay away from earthworms, even home raised ones. Not to mention they are mostly just water and decaying leaves and plants. That can't be a healthy gutload! ;)

patrickb":631e0 said:
JailBirdStripes":631e0 said:
I believe earthworms are loaded with parasites. I know they are very sensitive to chemicals in the soil as their bodies soak it up, so probably best to stay away from earthworms, even home raised ones. Not to mention they are mostly just water and decaying leaves and plants. That can't be a healthy gutload! ;)

I think I can speak for a few of us when I say thank you- I didn't know. Figured I'd ask before attempting an earthworm sample..... though, what about the one at the bottom of the Tequila? I'm sure there can't be parasites in that...

patrickb

Juvie Member
Hrmm, if I am not mistaken, those are mealworms they put in the tequila bottle. See above, no good either. lol

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Nope, those are agave worms; fitting, huh? It's a local butterfly larvae that is local and loves the agave fruits.
Although, the agave worms might make good beardie food.. just never know..

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Superworms are great.
Crickets stimulate good appetite with movement, but they stink.
Dubai Roaches are becoming my favorite.
Hornworms are great, just too expensive.

I do hand feed my breeders Supers every afternoon.

Jeff

patrickb

Juvie Member
NegativeCreep":284ce said:
Nope, those are agave worms; fitting, huh? It's a local butterfly larvae that is local and loves the agave fruits.
Although, the agave worms might make good beardie food.. just never know..
Agave worms! Those are them. Im guessing the mealworm thing was from those tequila candy pops I used to see a long while back. Hrmm, if I bought enough bottles of tequila, I could keep a beardie and myself very drunk. lol Oh wait, you meant feed the beardie the agave worms that weren't put in the bottle? :p

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
hah! I haven't seen those pops since I was a little kid! Next time I'm in my hometown I'm gonna look for them. I know one of the little Mexican shops there has them!

Well, yeah, I did mean the ones that aren't in the bottle.. but now that you mention it.. that would make a heck of a treat! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom